HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 02, 2007, 08:17 PM
Pile-it
United States, CA, Palmdale
Joined Nov 2007
1,712 Posts
Love the storage idea Yak! Mind if I steal it?

Rob
Alien_Tech is online now Find More Posts by Alien_Tech
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 02, 2007, 08:23 PM
Joined Oct 2007
61 Posts
No way. Go for it.
yakwrecker is offline Find More Posts by yakwrecker
Old Dec 02, 2007, 09:16 PM
Houston, TX, USA
Joined Aug 2006
122 Posts
The weather broke today for a short time and I got to fly one battery pack this afternoon... This plane truly flew smooth and clean despite the light breeze. I just kind of tooled around and got a feel for it and I didn't even trim it or be too critical about the CG. I flew on high rates all around, about 40 degrees with medium expo, and it responded nicely but wasn't twitchy or squirrely like profile 3D planes fly. But I will say that it hovers and harriers like a champ and I swear it was easier to do for real than on G3!

It did fly and accelerate a little faster than what I've seen for an F3P plane, but hopefully on the next one I can trim the weight down a bit and make it slightly larger but for this plane I have no complaints - my flying skills are a bigger factor than the plane's airspeed! But I will make some removable air brakes for this plane and give them a try as well.

I also found a local club that meets once a month in a gym so I'm looking forward to that. I'll try to have another Index 2 ready to go. I can see why foamies are so addictive... very inexpensive and fast and easy to build and such a great platform to experiment with new designs.
PabloM is offline Find More Posts by PabloM
Old Dec 03, 2007, 08:45 AM
Cornwall, UK
Joined Oct 2006
1,089 Posts
G3 is impossible to do a good harrier or prop hang on! IT IS EASIER IN REAL LIFE!
Hexosex is offline Find More Posts by Hexosex
Old Dec 03, 2007, 08:52 AM
Cornwall, UK
Joined Oct 2006
1,089 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by yakwrecker
No way. Go for it.
Do you get those hangers from the clothes shop?
Old Dec 03, 2007, 01:30 PM
Cornwall, UK
Joined Oct 2006
1,089 Posts
I'm made some detachable air brakes for my index 2.1!

They are quite small but should give a little slow down on nose overs and the like.
Old Dec 03, 2007, 06:09 PM
Houston, TX, USA
Joined Aug 2006
122 Posts
I like those. I was considering something similar, using little tabs to keep them from tilting back and forth. How are yours removable? I was going to use some 1.5 mm CF "pins" on the back of the aileron and attach them with tiny rubber bands or o-rings. I planned to make a tall set and a wide set and see which works out better. And maybe install mounting points both closer to the fuselage and further out.

Any thoughts on location and size?
PabloM is offline Find More Posts by PabloM
Old Dec 03, 2007, 06:42 PM
Ireland, Kildare, Leixlip
Joined May 2002
6,441 Posts
The easy way to do removable brakes would be to to make them so they slide over the trailing edge (something like the way I've done mine) and then fix them in place with a little tape. Mine are a pretty tight push fit and might stay even if I hadn't tacked them with a little CA.

I'm between minds as to the best format for airbrakes. I think something attached directly to the trailing edge is probably not ideal and something fairly square that leaves most of the trailing edge unobstructed is probably best but I haven't tested this so it's just a best guess at the moment.
The simple plates I've fitted to the original Index 2 work pretty well so I'll stick with them initially and then experiment with a few other ideas. I think two brake panels back a little from the trailing edge would be worth a try, one above and one below with a reasonable gap between them. I think something like 75mm x 20mm with a 30mm gap 20mm behind the trailing edge would seem about right as a place to start. I might try this on the Index 2.1.

I'm planning to finish my Index 2.1 on Thursday evening/Friday morning for a competition on Friday night. It's a bit last minute and there won't be much opportunity to trim it before the comp but I'll see what happens. At worst I crash due to poor setup and lack of practice and then need to re-build!

Aidan
Aio_1 is offline Find More Posts by Aio_1
Old Dec 06, 2007, 11:09 AM
Cornwall, UK
Joined Oct 2006
1,089 Posts
Maiden went well! The air brakes worked quite well and stayed on without glue or tape!

It flew slow and nice, everything that last one did but smoother! I had coupling this time in KE and high alpha KE was very hard work! But then i ended up doing a flat spin and flew strait into another plane totally snapping the carbon strip LE on the wing and folding it! That was the third flight, the shortest of any of my planes!

Back to the workshop for me! I never even got to tinker with the thrust line or aileron droop etc...!
Old Dec 08, 2007, 07:54 AM
Flashmeister Aviation Inc
Joined Aug 2005
3,138 Posts
I know its not exactly F3p but this fella looks happy with his Index

Index 3D Thailand (4 min 1 sec)
MrFlash is offline Find More Posts by MrFlash
Old Dec 08, 2007, 08:12 AM
Joined May 2002
6,441 Posts
Excellent!
That's certainly faster than my one.
Thanks for posting that link Flash.
Old Dec 12, 2007, 08:40 PM
The Canuck
Petit-Rocher Sud, NB, Canada
Joined Jun 2006
136 Posts
Index in the works

In my quest to try out every plan in the f3p sticky section. Here is my Index 2.

I decided that instead of painting I'd do this one in black and white using only a sharpie marker and a straight edge.
I like the results so far.
Maiden should be next weekend!
Sev Fontaine is offline Find More Posts by Sev Fontaine
Old Dec 24, 2007, 07:31 PM
Build 2 Bounce!
Birmingham, UK
Joined Jul 2006
1,660 Posts
Aidan, here's another Index2 that you might not have seen yet. It's 12" wingspan and 17g AUW : http://www.eprcp.com/experimental/index2_300.html

Videos here : http://web.mac.com/ysfc/iWeb/Site/Movie.html

Pretty impressive I think you'll agree

Merry Christmas
Si.
firetrappe is offline Find More Posts by firetrappe
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 26, 2007, 08:52 AM
Joined May 2002
6,441 Posts
Thanks for the link Si.
That 12" Index is great!
Old Dec 26, 2007, 10:07 AM
Sky Pilot
Victorville, CA
Joined Jun 2006
1,114 Posts
Cute plane but as I have found, it is hard to build small planes light enough. That plane in the video flies heavy. I have reduced a few shocky style planes with always the same result. They fly OK but you have to keep the speed up. If you increase the size however, the opposite is usually true. You can increase the fuse and wing area with very little extra weight. I am planning to try that with the Index when I get some time.

Blessings, Terry
still4given is offline Find More Posts by still4given