Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Nov 29, 2007, 05:48 PM
Ireland, Kildare, Leixlip
Joined May 2002
6,441 Posts
Ah right. I'm familiar with coupling just wasn't sure what you meant by the phrase "does not couple out". I follow you now.

I didn't have the scaled up plan I drew for myself on my home PC. It's on my work computer and I forgot to e-mail it to myself. I've just done the attached plan in a hurry but it should be identical to mine except the depron thickness is drawn as 3.24mm instead of 3mm (it's 11:30pm here and I've got to be up at 6:30 so no time to tidy up the plan. It's pretty much just the original scaled to 810mm span and turned into a pdf).

Aidan
Aio_1 is offline Find More Posts by Aio_1
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 29, 2007, 05:51 PM
Cornwall, UK
Joined Oct 2006
1,089 Posts
There does not seem to be a plan attached!

Hope you are still awake!
Hexosex is offline Find More Posts by Hexosex
Old Nov 29, 2007, 05:52 PM
Joined May 2002
6,441 Posts
oops....there you go!

I think I'll call the 810mm version the Index 2.1 instead of refering to them as the 750mm version and the 810mm version.

Aidan
Old Nov 29, 2007, 05:55 PM
Cornwall, UK
Joined Oct 2006
1,089 Posts
Thanks mate!

A full build report coming up!

I now have a 15g hacker to put on it
Old Nov 29, 2007, 05:58 PM
Joined May 2002
6,441 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hexosex
Thanks mate!

A full build report coming up!

I now have a 15g hacker to put on it
You'll have it in the air before I have mine finished. Work christmas party is on Saturday night so I won't get much done this weekend!
It'll be useful to know how it flies with that power system because I'm considering flying it in a competition next Friday and I won't have had a chance to test it first!

Using a GWS 7x3.5 prop?

Aidan
Old Nov 29, 2007, 06:04 PM
Cornwall, UK
Joined Oct 2006
1,089 Posts
8x4.3 prop is what i am going for, but your smaller prop will be lighter. I tend to push this amp stuff unless i am at WOT all the time...

With the 8x4.3 you will get the thrust you want when you want it but you wont need it most of the time. Power management is a must though!
Old Nov 30, 2007, 02:21 AM
Joined May 2002
6,441 Posts
I'd expect the 8x4.3 to be a lot too much for that motor!
Have you tried it already?

My plan was to try the GWS 7x3.5HD and move to 8x4HD if I wanted more power. The 8x4.3 slowfly prop draws a LOT more current than the 8x4HD.
I look forward to hearing how you get on.

Aidan
Old Nov 30, 2007, 08:43 AM
Cornwall, UK
Joined Oct 2006
1,089 Posts
Where in the UK can i buy these hyper drive props? I cant seem to find a supplier on google!
Old Nov 30, 2007, 10:36 AM
Joined May 2002
6,441 Posts
I'd go to http://robotbirds.com/catalog/index.php?cPath=42_44
I'm not sure if the 8x4 is a HD ("hyperdrive") or DD ("direct drive") but whichever of those GWS ranges have an 8x4 - that's the one.

Aidan
Old Nov 30, 2007, 10:39 AM
Houston, TX, USA
Joined Aug 2006
122 Posts
Well thanks for all the advice so farÖ

I thought about it back-and-forth Tuesday night and Iíll go ahead and use pull-pull setups for both elevator and rudder. I may as well do this right. Wed night I made a sheet of fiberglass to make the horns, motor mount, and tail skid from. Last night I cut the horns, skid and motor mount as well as installed the servos. Tonight I should be able to pretty much finish assembly. Iím kicking around a grass-compatible landing skid idea, since Iím concerned that grass may catch the delicate CF supports and break them or tear them off.

I realize that I may be setting myself up for failure by trying to fly outside but worst-case, Iíll just build a tougher foam/balsa hybrid that can take some more abuse even if it ends up weighing a few more ounces and canít go vertical. The Index 2 is only a few inches smaller than a balsa profile plane I have and it weighs 17 oz and flies fine. Or maybe I should build one with the CF bracing on top to keep it out of harmís reach. That Park 250 should haul around an 8oz plane just fine. Remember your ďsportĒ plane about 15 years ago? I had a GP Super Sportster that flew like a sack of rocks with wings compared to models today and I used to have a blast with it! If my quick math is right, my Index 2 will have a wing loading of about 0.027 oz/sqin and the SS was around 5.5 times that at around 0.15 oz/sqin...

Iíll post some pics tonight and hopefully some of the completed plane.
PabloM is offline Find More Posts by PabloM
Old Nov 30, 2007, 03:52 PM
Cornwall, UK
Joined Oct 2006
1,089 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aio_1
I'd go to http://robotbirds.com/catalog/index.php?cPath=42_44
I'm not sure if the 8x4 is a HD ("hyperdrive") or DD ("direct drive") but whichever of those GWS ranges have an 8x4 - that's the one.

Aidan
Cheers! I'll get some props on order!

I've got the plan printed out so next step is to start the build! I'll be cutting out in the morning
Old Dec 02, 2007, 10:41 AM
Houston, TX, USA
Joined Aug 2006
122 Posts
Well, here is my completed Index 2. It's still windy and overcast in Houston this morning, so I think I'll play it safe and stay grounded and keep it in my truck just in case the weather is nice coming home (or going to?) work this week.

It came out to 152g (5.36 oz) and was a bit heavier than I wanted. I could probably have shed 15g or more with lighter batteries, ESC, servos, lighter servo hardware, and using depron instead of cellfoam 88 which I understand is a very slight amount heavier. Overall I'm happy with it for a first attempt at a foamie. The next one will have a target of 5 oz or less.

I'll let you guys know how it flies when I get the chance... Thanks to Aidan for the nice design.
PabloM is offline Find More Posts by PabloM
Old Dec 02, 2007, 11:48 AM
Joined May 2002
6,441 Posts
Very nice job Pablo. It looks like a very neat build.
I hope you're happy with how it flies.

I think for outdoors it will fly perfectly well at 152g. I'd expect it to be a little fast for F3P style indoor aerobatics at that weight but still lots of fun. The original was 750mm span mostly because the motor I was using (11g Flyware MicroREX220-3) would probably be marginal with a plane over 130g and I wanted to be sure I could keep it light enough. Using slightly more powerful motors like the Hacker A10-15s or Park 250 I think you'd be okay at sizes up to about 850mm. I'm aiming to keep my F3P style planes at or below a wing loading of 10g/sqdm. The 750mm version has about 12.6sqdm of area. The original came in just a fraction under the target at a weight of 124g (124/12.6 = 9.84).
If you intend to fly indoors, have slightly heavy gear and want really slow flight I'd suggest scaling up the plane to suit the equipment. However it should fly well even well over the target weight on the plans if you're not too bothered about keeping it very slow.

Aidan
Old Dec 02, 2007, 01:49 PM
Cornwall, UK
Joined Oct 2006
1,089 Posts
Good stuff Pablo! I like the art work as well, simple and nice. I don't give mine that much effort as you can see below!

AUW of my the index 2.1 is 140g, 5g more as I've used some larger servos for the tail feathers. I've also gone for a single leading edge carbon strip and fishing line bracing as i cant find any kevlar near by! Its still very stiff though. This combination normally lasts a week or two of punishment!

Maiden on Wednesday!
Old Dec 02, 2007, 04:20 PM
Joined Oct 2007
61 Posts
I changed my battery mount, worked out very well. This is also how I store my planes. Just thought id share.
yakwrecker is offline Find More Posts by yakwrecker