HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 24, 2007, 04:38 PM
Joined Oct 2007
61 Posts
Ok heres my index and two other designs. The bipe is kinda my own design but its supposed to look like the Uh! than AJ flew at the ETOC. The other one is a foxtrot which i got plans for I think from flyinggiants.com. I just got a new radio today its on FM and i sold all my RX's when i switched to 2.4 so ill get a RX tomorrow from my buddy when i go flying. Also just ordered the MScomposite Spark today. Cant wait to fly that.
yakwrecker is offline Find More Posts by yakwrecker
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 25, 2007, 04:35 AM
Ireland, Kildare, Leixlip
Joined May 2002
6,441 Posts
Nice job yakwrecker

How'd it end up at 6oz?
The cells are about 8g heavier than mine but other than that I can't see from the pics where it might have gained much weight. It should still fly reasonably well at 6oz but I think these F3P style planes fly best if kept good and light. The prototypes were around 120g (4.25oz) ready to fly.
BTW, what's the motor mount?

Good luck with the maiden and let us know how you get on!

Aidan
Aio_1 is offline Find More Posts by Aio_1
Old Nov 25, 2007, 04:39 AM
Joined May 2002
6,441 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bravedan
Like the look of this plane, but is a Tiled plan available please???
Sorry Bravedan, I've been meaning to do one. I'll try and get one posted tomorrow night. What size sheets do you want it tiled for? I'd generally use A4 but as there's a large proportion of US guys on RCGroups, 8.5"x11" Letter size might be more popular?

Aidan
Old Nov 25, 2007, 06:59 AM
Foam Rules, Gravity Sucks
Bromley, England
Joined Nov 2006
384 Posts
Aidan, thanks for reply!!

I'd use A4, too, from choice, but I have not had a problem so far with any that were US "Letter" sized, and I see the thinking...........

Dave
Bravedan is offline Find More Posts by Bravedan
Old Nov 25, 2007, 08:00 AM
Joined Oct 2007
61 Posts
I think I know why its so heavy. Whenever I do tiled plans the dimesions are never the same. I was cutting it out and saying to my self, man this seems to big. Other than the size there is no reason for the weight. I've used this exact same equipment and gotten an Aito and Mystic down to 5.5oz. As for the mount its available from www.lukesrcplanes.com There not on the website but if you call they'll get you one no problem. They are predrilled to take the 2204, I like mounting the 250 on it because it is very sturdy and it makes the front end stronger. It's 3 dollars and i think 3 or 4 dollars to ship so get a couple. If you call tell them Jon sent you. Thanks.
Jon Soda
Old Nov 25, 2007, 09:17 AM
United States, TN, Memphis
Joined Apr 2007
153 Posts
Can you tile both sizes? I'm in the US so 8.5"x11" is good for me. Thanks a bunch. Great looking plane!
pappy35 is offline Find More Posts by pappy35
Old Nov 25, 2007, 09:33 AM
Cornwall, UK
Joined Oct 2006
1,089 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aio_1
Looks good Hex!

Are you going to round off the wing and tail tips or go with the "chamfer" look?
I build one plane a week and they get destroyed by the lads at our club, we get 1 mid air every 10 minutes! So i don't take a lot of time making them look good so it can stay as it is.

Quote:
The gear you're planning to use will work fine but it is just a little heavy and would probably suit a slightly larger version better. Still,if you can manage 131g I think it will fly well.
The motor you're using is double the weight of the MacroRex used in the two prototypes, so you may want to plan for the RX, servos and cells to be further back than mine to get the CG correct. The CG on the plan is just a starting position. I haven't decided exactly where I like it best yet but that's a good starting point and you can tweak it from there for your own preferences.
I'm ordering the same 15g hacker as you are going to use. Its worth getting the weight down as I know that just taking off 15g can make a huge difference. As for the COG, i had already put the servos in near where you had them! I have just got it to balance by putting the battery as far back as i can so I'm hoping it will fly nice where you have put the cofg.

Quote:
I've cut out the depron for another Index 2 this time scaled up to 810mm. I'm planning to paint and assemble it tonight and put the radio and motor in tomorrow morning. I'm going flying tomorrow afternoon and hope to have it finished, if I'm lucky.
This one is going to get the following:

15g Hacker A10-15s motor
7g Hacker X-5 ESC
5g SD100 servos (Dymond 4.7 by another name)
4.5g Robot birds 4ch RX (Corona 4ch by another name?)
21g Flightpower Evo-Lite 2s 350mAh

I'm aiming for 135g AUW.
I'll post the larger plan when I get the chance and perhaps some pictures of the newest plane.
Good stuff! If this one flies good i will be trying the bigger one as i always think that bigger is better for these planes as you can get the wing loading down. They also fly smoother.

Quote:
I look forward to seeing how you get on with the Index Hex and I hope you like the performance! Best of luck with the rest of the build.

Aidan
Cheers mate, I've now finished it take a look at the pics ;-) The led system is 3.6g AUW, not bad for a bit of night flying AUW of the plane is 140g, still not bad at all!
Hexosex is offline Find More Posts by Hexosex
Old Nov 25, 2007, 05:59 PM
Joined Oct 2007
61 Posts
Ok went flying today. Had some strange wing warp, I managed to fix that by reworking the strut arrangment. After that it flew great. Even at 6oz. it flies great, it was slower than almost everything there. Im happy with the size(if its diffrent than orig. plan) So i copied two more when i got home. One is getting paint right now and the other is cut and ready for paint. Im going to try some new stuff on this to see if it will make a diffrence. I'll post pics when i get the first one done.
Old Nov 25, 2007, 09:59 PM
Joined Oct 2007
61 Posts
As i said heres the new one. Somehow it came out 1.2oz lighter than the other one. I cant figure out were i lost the weight.
Old Nov 26, 2007, 11:37 AM
Cornwall, UK
Joined Oct 2006
1,089 Posts
I've managed to fly it and get the cog back as far as i could! It flies sweet now! The cofg for me is 2cm aft of where Aio_1 has marked. (not far)

I now know what you mean about axial rolling! Its spot on and lets the pilot get on with some really nice pattern/f3a stuff! it will do some good 3D as well so is a real complete freestyle package for me!

Its just waiting to get a hacker on it! That would be even better!

I'm going to make the scaled up version when a plane of mine dies!
Hexosex is offline Find More Posts by Hexosex
Old Nov 26, 2007, 02:34 PM
Joined May 2002
6,441 Posts
Hex,

Glad to hear you're enjoying it!
I haven't tried the CG that far back yet. I've been aiming to keep it pretty stable in pitch for accurate pattern flying but perhaps I'm being too conservative with the CG.
I think I'm currently about 10mm behind the CG marked on the plan. I haven't had many opportunities to fly indoors so far this year so testing has gone slowly. If you guys can provide some feedback and agree the CG should go further aft I'll update the plan.
I'll let you know how the 810mm version goes with the Hacker A10-15s. All the depron with the carbon bracing in place is about 48g so I'm looking good for my 135g target. Should perform well.

Yaywrecker,

Nice job! I like the wire skids, spats and depron bracing. I'm sure it's not as stiff as carbon but it's a hell of a lot cheaper and looks well the way you've done it. I'll be interested to hear how much of a difference you find between the 6oz and the 4.8oz versions. My original is up to 129g now after a few repairs and the addition of airbrakes. It still flies great but I reckon about 120g is ideal.

Dave/Pappy,

Sorry, I won't be able to get those tiled plans done this evening. Tough week at work and getting home late. Hopefully I'll get to it tomorrow. If anyone else can do tiled plans between now and then I can provide a DXF to work from.

Aidan
Old Nov 26, 2007, 03:39 PM
United States, TN, Memphis
Joined Apr 2007
153 Posts
Take your time. I've got my hands full now anyways. Thanks.
pappy35 is offline Find More Posts by pappy35
Old Nov 26, 2007, 06:55 PM
Joined Jan 2005
135 Posts
For those who canít wait here is a tiled plan of the PDF file.
Just ShootMe is offline Find More Posts by Just ShootMe
Old Nov 26, 2007, 09:40 PM
Ritewinger
Jacksonville, Florida
Joined Dec 2005
255 Posts
An odd question but yakwrecker where did you happen to get those control horns? Looks like they work pretty well.

Thanks,
Cameron
WingsWest328 is online now Find More Posts by WingsWest328
Old Nov 27, 2007, 06:40 AM
Joined Oct 2007
61 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by WingsWest328
An odd question but yakwrecker where did you happen to get those control horns? Looks like they work pretty well.

Thanks,
Cameron
That i the horn that comes with the Aito and Mystic from hobby-lobby. I had one so i just copied it with 1/16 balsa. I would like to find some 1/64 ply to make then i think it would be better.