HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 08, 2007, 04:40 PM
Live to ride... and fly!
Forney, TX
Joined Mar 2002
15,165 Posts
Help!
What is max amperage for PH10 BEC on 3 li-po cells?

Hello, I'm running a small parkflyer with a Feigao 12mm brushless in a GWS DX-A gearbox and a PH-10 on 3 li-po cells. The main concern I have with this plane is I am running a Glowire lighting system on it and I don't know if the onboard BEC can handle it. I'm only running two servos (GWS Pico), but the lighting is currently hooked up to an unused channel on the receiver (Berg 4). I do have a Whattmeter and will check to see what the amp draw is of the Glowire setup and servos, but can you tell me what the safe amp draw is for the PH10 on 3 cells? Normally it's expressed in terms of how many servos can be run, but I need to know an amp draw number since I'm dealing with a new-to-me lighting system on this one. If I'm exceeding the max amps allowable then I'll look at running a separate BEC with the PH-10. The ESC does get quite warm with the lighting powered up. I have not tried flying the plane with the lighting activated as I'm concerned about it.

PS, of my 30+/- planes, nearly all of them are running CC ESCs, so I'm a happy customer
Tres Wright is offline Find More Posts by Tres Wright
Last edited by Tres Wright; Jan 09, 2007 at 09:53 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 08, 2007, 07:19 PM
Live to ride... and fly!
Forney, TX
Joined Mar 2002
15,165 Posts
I just checked this plane on my Whattmeter. The lighting system by itself draws 0.3 amps. Moving the sticks around, I was seeing 0.5 amps with a very brief 0.6 amps hit a couple of times for a split second. So am I safe with this? Thank you.
Old Jan 08, 2007, 08:58 PM
That'll hold until ...
Hampton Roads Va.
Joined Oct 2004
3,560 Posts
Nope! It'd be OK with either but not both. I just did the math in another thread (CC10 cooking) and with the calcs fresh in my head you'll be headed for a shutdown.

Steve
swatson144 is offline Find More Posts by swatson144
Old Jan 09, 2007, 09:53 AM
Live to ride... and fly!
Forney, TX
Joined Mar 2002
15,165 Posts
Thanks for the input Steve, but that doesn't answer the original question which is: "What is the max amperage for PH10 BEC on 3 li-po cells?" This isn't just about the one particular plane I described above, I have 15+ PH10's in use, so this is info that would come in handy for me on future projects. I'm asking here because I want to hear directly from the source (Castle Creations).
Old Jan 10, 2007, 10:50 AM
Live to ride... and fly!
Forney, TX
Joined Mar 2002
15,165 Posts
Bumping up, Castle Creations, please respond. I see you responding to other threads, I feel that with as many of your products as I own the least you can do is answer the one small question I've ever asked you guys. Thanks!
Old Jan 11, 2007, 02:31 AM
Olathe,KS,USA
Joined Oct 2000
2,654 Posts
Hmmm,

Well, there's not really a simple answer. The maximum surge current is around 4.5 amps or so, but at 3 lipo, the average current is limited to about .5A or so, depending on temperature, air flow, etc. The limiting factor is how much heat can be dumped out of the BEC chips themselves.

So, the cooler you can keep the ESC (airflow, etc.) the more current you can draw from the BEC.

Patrick
Patrick del Castillo is offline Find More Posts by Patrick del Castillo
Old Jan 11, 2007, 10:10 AM
Live to ride... and fly!
Forney, TX
Joined Mar 2002
15,165 Posts
Thanks Patrick!! I ordered a Park BEC for this particular plane, it's cutting it too close and the last thing I want is a thermal shutdown in the middle of a night flight I appreciate the info