SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
 
Thread Tools
Old Jan 08, 2007, 01:11 PM
Lars Thompson
Guest
n/a Posts
stability, trex 450 vs larger helis like trex 600 or rap50?

Can somebody who had experience with trex 450 and a larger helicopter such
as trex 600, raptor 50 or similar tell me how much less stable trex 450 is?
Is it a huge difference or moderate?

I'm asking because I've been playing around with large nitro helis on a
simulator for a month or so and the difference in stability between them
and little electric helicopters was huge.

The little ones are squirmish and I don't enjoy flying them at all even
though I'm capable of doing so, at least on a simulator. Is the difference
in stability between trex 450 and larger helicopters I mentioned that big?
Old Jan 08, 2007, 03:11 PM
mporlier
Guest
n/a Posts
Re: stability, trex 450 vs larger helis like trex 600 or rap50?

I have many hours in the G3.5 simulator. I have downloaded a lot of
T-Rex 450 and 600 models from the WEB and they do not compare to the
real thing. I fly a 450se in the real world and it is very stable.
People will tell you larger helis are even more stable and they are
right but still, the 450 flies great!

Marc Porlier


Lars Thompson wrote:
> Can somebody who had experience with trex 450 and a larger helicopter such
> as trex 600, raptor 50 or similar tell me how much less stable trex 450 is?
> Is it a huge difference or moderate?
>
> I'm asking because I've been playing around with large nitro helis on a
> simulator for a month or so and the difference in stability between them
> and little electric helicopters was huge.
>
> The little ones are squirmish and I don't enjoy flying them at all even
> though I'm capable of doing so, at least on a simulator. Is the difference
> in stability between trex 450 and larger helicopters I mentioned that big?


Old Jan 08, 2007, 03:11 PM
Lars Thompson
Guest
n/a Posts
Re: stability, trex 450 vs larger helis like trex 600 or rap50?

On 8 Jan 2007 10:52:25 -0800, mporlier wrote:

> I have many hours in the G3.5 simulator. I have downloaded a lot of
> T-Rex 450 and 600 models from the WEB and they do not compare to the
> real thing. I fly a 450se in the real world and it is very stable.
> People will tell you larger helis are even more stable and they are
> right but still, the 450 flies great!


Thanks for reply, that sounds reassuring. I really like the idea of having
a small electric heli provided it flys well.

I didn't actually fly trex models in realflight but the included Dominion
3d and Heli-Max CP. The later seemed too twitchy, it just didn't feel right
after flying the larger one. Does the 450 fly more like Dominion or
Heli-Max in the G3, or is it completely different than either?
Old Jan 08, 2007, 03:11 PM
Lars Thompson
Guest
n/a Posts
Re: stability, trex 450 vs larger helis like trex 600 or rap50?

On Mon, 8 Jan 2007 20:13:05 +0100, Lars Thompson wrote:

> I didn't actually fly trex models in realflight but the included Dominion
> 3d and Heli-Max CP. The later seemed too twitchy, it just didn't feel right
> after flying the larger one. Does the 450 fly more like Dominion or
> Heli-Max in the G3, or is it completely different than either?


Sorry I meant G3.5.
Old Jan 08, 2007, 03:11 PM
Robert Roland
Guest
n/a Posts
Re: stability, trex 450 vs larger helis like trex 600 or rap50?

On Mon, 8 Jan 2007 18:41:52 +0100, Lars Thompson <lthompson@yahoo.com>
wrote:

>I'm asking because I've been playing around with large nitro helis on a
>simulator for a month or so and the difference in stability between them
>and little electric helicopters was huge.


Did you simulate with wind? If you simulate without wind, you are
fooling yourself big time.
--
RoRo

Old Jan 08, 2007, 05:11 PM
Lars Thompson
Guest
n/a Posts
Re: stability, trex 450 vs larger helis like trex 600 or rap50?

On Mon, 08 Jan 2007 20:40:36 +0100, Robert Roland wrote:

> On Mon, 8 Jan 2007 18:41:52 +0100, Lars Thompson <lthompson@yahoo.com>
> wrote:
>
>>I'm asking because I've been playing around with large nitro helis on a
>>simulator for a month or so and the difference in stability between them
>>and little electric helicopters was huge.

>
> Did you simulate with wind?


Yes, was told to use 5 or so mph speed and 20% gust.
Old Jan 08, 2007, 05:11 PM
mporlier
Guest
n/a Posts
Re: stability, trex 450 vs larger helis like trex 600 or rap50?

Wind is a important factor. I do not feel comfortable in windy
conditions with my 450. A larger heli (50 to 90 size) would be much
easier to fly. I have not flown in 10km wind yet.

In G3.5 the Dominion 90 3d is more difficult to fly than my 450. I fly
almost only this model with no expo. In real life I fly my 450 with 25%
expo and it is very stable. I have flown without expo as well and still
more stable than the virtual Dominion 90.

Marc




Lars Thompson wrote:
> On Mon, 08 Jan 2007 20:40:36 +0100, Robert Roland wrote:
>
> > On Mon, 8 Jan 2007 18:41:52 +0100, Lars Thompson <lthompson@yahoo.com>
> > wrote:
> >
> >>I'm asking because I've been playing around with large nitro helis on a
> >>simulator for a month or so and the difference in stability between them
> >>and little electric helicopters was huge.

> >
> > Did you simulate with wind?

>
> Yes, was told to use 5 or so mph speed and 20% gust.


Old Jan 08, 2007, 05:11 PM
mporlier
Guest
n/a Posts
Re: stability, trex 450 vs larger helis like trex 600 or rap50?

Helimax CP is far from a real life T-REX 450!! I never fly it in the
SIM to unstable

Marc


Lars Thompson wrote:
> On 8 Jan 2007 10:52:25 -0800, mporlier wrote:
>
> > I have many hours in the G3.5 simulator. I have downloaded a lot of
> > T-Rex 450 and 600 models from the WEB and they do not compare to the
> > real thing. I fly a 450se in the real world and it is very stable.
> > People will tell you larger helis are even more stable and they are
> > right but still, the 450 flies great!

>
> Thanks for reply, that sounds reassuring. I really like the idea of having
> a small electric heli provided it flys well.
>
> I didn't actually fly trex models in realflight but the included Dominion
> 3d and Heli-Max CP. The later seemed too twitchy, it just didn't feel right
> after flying the larger one. Does the 450 fly more like Dominion or
> Heli-Max in the G3, or is it completely different than either?


Old Jan 08, 2007, 05:11 PM
funfly3
Guest
n/a Posts
Re: stability, trex 450 vs larger helis like trex 600 or rap50?

Lars Thompson wrote:
> Can somebody who had experience with trex 450 and a larger helicopter such
> as trex 600, raptor 50 or similar tell me how much less stable trex 450 is?
> Is it a huge difference or moderate?
>
> I'm asking because I've been playing around with large nitro helis on a
> simulator for a month or so and the difference in stability between them
> and little electric helicopters was huge.
>
> The little ones are squirmish and I don't enjoy flying them at all even
> though I'm capable of doing so, at least on a simulator. Is the difference
> in stability between trex 450 and larger helicopters I mentioned that big?

I have flown a honey bee 2 a trex 450XL and a nexus 30, I don't do 3D so
I cannot comment on that part of flight, but the bigger they are the
easier they are to hover, but the down side is the more room you need
the bigger you go, and as for the sims it seems easier in real life to
hover my t-rex
Old Jan 08, 2007, 07:11 PM
The OTHER Kevin in San Diego
Guest
n/a Posts
Re: stability, trex 450 vs larger helis like trex 600 or rap50?

On Mon, 8 Jan 2007 18:41:52 +0100, Lars Thompson <lthompson@yahoo.com>
wrote:

>Can somebody who had experience with trex 450 and a larger helicopter such
>as trex 600, raptor 50 or similar tell me how much less stable trex 450 is?
>Is it a huge difference or moderate?
>
>I'm asking because I've been playing around with large nitro helis on a
>simulator for a month or so and the difference in stability between them
>and little electric helicopters was huge.
>
>The little ones are squirmish and I don't enjoy flying them at all even
>though I'm capable of doing so, at least on a simulator. Is the difference
>in stability between trex 450 and larger helicopters I mentioned that big?


As a general rule, the larger the heli, the more stable it's going to
be. Now, having said that, I can say the 450SE is a very solid
platform and once dialed in, is easy to fly, but the controls are very
quick.

It can be intimidating for people used to flying larger helos with
headspeeds around 2100 RPM as a bone stock SE on an 11T pinion runs
about 2600 RPM. Toss on a 13T pinion and tweak the throttle/pitch
curves and 3000 RPM headspeed is possible. I run mine right around
3000 RPM with Mavrikk blades and it's very responsive. I fly it with
no expo.

My Trex 600 is an entirely different animal. It's rock solid in hover
and the head speed is down around 2000 RPM in hover in normal mode
(85% throttle) It's a large main rotor disk so it's easy to see, but
you definitely do NOT want to fly this in a park or your yard (unless
you've got a BIG yard)

I do have a raptor 50, which is a tick smaller than the 600 in overall
length, but I've yet to fly it. It's just so much easier to chuck a
few batteries, the heli and my Tx in the truck and go fly. When I'm
done, load it (or the pieces - lol!) back up and go home. No cleanup
to worry about. I'm going to start burning some nitro in the Raptor
'cuz I've got a case of fuel sitting in my garage and I can't use it
in my nitro truck.

The Trex450s available for Realflight are touchier than the real
thing. If you can fly one of these well on the sim, you can handle
the real thing no problem.
Old Jan 08, 2007, 07:11 PM
Beav
Guest
n/a Posts
Re: stability, trex 450 vs larger helis like trex 600 or rap50?


"Lars Thompson" <lthompson@yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:17pr2ks9h74tr.lbklpe291jbz$.dlg@40tude.net...
> Can somebody who had experience with trex 450 and a larger helicopter such
> as trex 600, raptor 50 or similar tell me how much less stable trex 450
> is?
> Is it a huge difference or moderate?


A lot, but with a tad of extra weight on the flybar, not that great you
won't be able to fly one if you can already fly a nitro biggie in the realo
world.

>
> I'm asking because I've been playing around with large nitro helis on a
> simulator for a month or so and the difference in stability between them
> and little electric helicopters was huge.


A sim is good, but it's never "real world"
>
> The little ones are squirmish and I don't enjoy flying them at all even
> though I'm capable of doing so, at least on a simulator. Is the difference
> in stability between trex 450 and larger helicopters I mentioned that big?


It's big :-)


--
Beav

VN 750
Zed 1000
OMF# 19



Old Jan 08, 2007, 07:11 PM
Moores_Family
Guest
n/a Posts
Re: stability, trex 450 vs larger helis like trex 600 or rap50?

Lars Thompson wrote:
> Can somebody who had experience with trex 450 and a larger helicopter such
> as trex 600, raptor 50 or similar tell me how much less stable trex 450 is?
> Is it a huge difference or moderate?
>
> I'm asking because I've been playing around with large nitro helis on a
> simulator for a month or so and the difference in stability between them
> and little electric helicopters was huge.
>
> The little ones are squirmish and I don't enjoy flying them at all even
> though I'm capable of doing so, at least on a simulator. Is the difference
> in stability between trex 450 and larger helicopters I mentioned that big?


I fly a Trex 450se a Trex 600 as well as a variety of 'glow' helis-
Raptor 30, Skyfox 60 etc.

Size matters.

While the Trex 450 can be trimmed to be very stable and easy to fly,
it's still more skittish than the 600, particularly in a breeze. Having
said that, the 450 will still handle a good breeze, if you are a windy
flyer.
JM
 


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Question Trex 450 or 600?? Ponypirate Mini Helis 14 Feb 13, 2008 06:50 PM
Discussion Trex 450 vs Esky CP2 Cralis Mini Helis 4 Feb 21, 2007 06:31 PM
Discussion Trex 450 XL or SA vs MX 400 Pro Bohh33 Mini Helis 13 Oct 01, 2006 01:15 AM
TREX 450 vs 450x fnnwizard Mini Helis 11 Feb 03, 2005 09:03 PM