HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 08, 2007, 12:45 PM
Proud member of LISF and ESL
LI, New York, USA
Joined Mar 2003
24,553 Posts
Discussion
Hitec Flash 5SX set-up for a full house TD sailplane

A friend is planning to move up to a 3M full house sailplane. Most likely there will be 6 servos. R/E/2A/2F

He is using a Hitec Flash 5SX transmitter and is asking for help with the set-up. A new transmitter is not in the budget at this time.

Anyone have a set-up they would like to suggest?
aeajr is offline Find More Posts by aeajr
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 08, 2007, 06:01 PM
daveosoar
hampshire
Joined Mar 2006
607 Posts
Sadly,I cant see it, unless its back to basics with Ail on ch1 with Y leads and mechanical offsets and flaps on ch5 with a similar set up.
daveosoar is offline Find More Posts by daveosoar
Old Jan 08, 2007, 06:05 PM
PNF
Los Gatos, CA
Joined May 2005
4,422 Posts
I agree - not to discourage you too much, bu note that you can get an Eclipse used for roughly $100 (or less) that will do everything you need.
infopimp is offline Find More Posts by infopimp
Old Jan 08, 2007, 06:15 PM
LI, New York, USA
Joined Mar 2003
24,553 Posts
Thanks guys.

I know he can get started with the Flash and upgrade later. I just wanted to see how other people might be making the best use of this transmitter in this situation.
Old Jan 08, 2007, 06:40 PM
Occasionally here
Joined Jun 2006
159 Posts
see next
regis is offline Find More Posts by regis
Last edited by regis; Jan 08, 2007 at 06:46 PM.
Old Jan 08, 2007, 06:44 PM
Occasionally here
Joined Jun 2006
159 Posts
We use to do Y leads but what a pain. Not a good idea and you will still spend 10 to 20 $ for the Y leads and have no trim control - poor investment. Here are some links for what you need - all under $100 - and you can make an offer. I do not know much about negative shift systems (Futaba & Hitec) so hopefully others with direct knowledge can critic these for suitability. You want at least seven channels and computer (assignable channel functions). (Six maybe doable with a sophisticated computer radio but a pain.) I see JR 347s ( a fine computer radio but positive shift) offered for around $50. So keep looking.

Futaba FP-T7UAP Super 7 Transmitter
http://www.rcuniverse.com/market/item.cfm?itemId=249381

Futaba 7UAF Transmitter
http://www.rcuniverse.com/market/item.cfm?itemId=249442

7CH PCM 1024 transmitter by Futaba - this may not be a computer radio
http://www.rcuniverse.com/market/item.cfm?itemId=250317

also check http://www.rcgroups.com/aircraft-gen...ment-fs-w-215/

Regis
regis is offline Find More Posts by regis
Last edited by regis; Jan 09, 2007 at 10:18 AM.
Old Jan 08, 2007, 08:08 PM
BANNED!!!
Laurel, MD
Joined May 2001
12,688 Posts
If he MUST use the flash, then I would NOT use the flaps. And just use ailerons 1,5, elevator 2, rudder 3 or 4. I would fly it that way to learn the plane, and start saving money for the better radio.

Jay
soholingo is offline Find More Posts by soholingo
Old Jan 08, 2007, 09:35 PM
USA, IL, Naperville
Joined Feb 2003
857 Posts
Futaba 8UAFS

I have a Futaba 8UAFS (super version) for sale that will do just about anything one could want on a full house sailplane.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...t=futaba+8UAfS

The Don Edberg book will make setting up the program a snap. The 8U has better programming than a 7C and one can change channels with a module (unlike the 7C).

If he is really pressed for cash, I'll drop $10 if he doesn't want the spare battery.
John Walter is offline Find More Posts by John Walter
Old Jan 09, 2007, 08:52 AM
RIP Ric
Marietta, GA
Joined Jun 1999
43,312 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by soholingo
If he MUST use the flash, then I would NOT use the flaps. And just use ailerons 1,5, elevator 2, rudder 3 or 4.
If that is possible with the flash, then you can put the flap on ch3 (if the rudder is on 4) - just don't know if you can mix in elevator compensation for it.
Andy W is offline Find More Posts by Andy W
Old Jan 09, 2007, 11:41 AM
BANNED!!!
Laurel, MD
Joined May 2001
12,688 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy W
If that is possible with the flash, then you can put the flap on ch3 (if the rudder is on 4) - just don't know if you can mix in elevator compensation for it.
I wasn't sure if the programing could handle the flap and or if there was a motor involved. I had a flash 5 (good beginner radio), and it was handy. I could do spoilerons (either on a switch or on the throttle stick), but I don't remember if that functionality would translate to flaps. I guess it should...
soholingo is offline Find More Posts by soholingo
Old Jan 09, 2007, 12:42 PM
Bob W
Rock Hill, SC
Joined Jul 2003
925 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by infopimp
I agree - not to discourage you too much, bu note that you can get an Eclipse used for roughly $100 (or less) that will do everything you need.
Good suggestion but keep in mind that E7 will not do camber/reflex of entire trailing edge.
Bob
tigroot is offline Find More Posts by tigroot
Old Jan 09, 2007, 02:01 PM
I'm all about that bass
United States, IN, Indianapolis
Joined Feb 2004
15,307 Posts
Wow, been a long time since I looked at the Flast 5. Disclaimer, I have never owned this radio. I looked into it in 1996 when I was a University student but instead saved a bit more and bought a JR 783.

My suggestion:

1.) I'd run the ailerons in flaperon mode. I seem to remember Flash 5 had this option.

2.) I'd see if Flash 5 has flap to elevator compensation. If it does not, then that above might be real tricky. As you are aware, flap deployment tends to make the nose of a plane balloon up, so elevator compensation is neccesary.

3.) I'd run the flaps on the throttle channel. I suspect that when running Flash 5 on throttle actuation for flaperons that the throttle output still functions. Note! This will require either a servo reverser circuit or the person building the 6 servo plane installs the servos in the same direction (this is not typical). Else your servos on a Y will work like ailerons!

Ryan
rdwoebke is offline Find More Posts by rdwoebke
Old Jan 09, 2007, 03:11 PM
patagonia,az
Joined Oct 2002
2,140 Posts
a few years ago I used a Flash-5X to fly a K2 (4 servo wing and V-tail) but it wasn't an ideal set-up, much better to get a good Multiplex radio (IMO).

what I did was :-

flap and aileron on right wing on y-connector to aileron on Rx ch-1

flap and aileron on left wing on y-conector, with a servo reverser so that flap servo moved in correct direction, to aileron on Rx ch-5

ailerons set up with the usual mechanical differential

flaps set up with mechanical differential so they went up as little as possible and down to about 90 degrees

rudder and elevator on usual Rx channels

remaining receiver channel operated by a Tx switch to move a servo with a microswitch to cut off signal (or power, forget which) to both flap servos

I can't remember if I had launch camber on a Tx switch but I think it was there

After launch I would activate the 5th channel servo to stop the flap servos moving and they remained at a neutral setting

Fly as usual on rudder/elevator/ailerons

On landing approach de-activate the 5th channel to allow flap servos to operate, pull back the left stick and the flaps went down and the ailerons up for crow with elevator compensation mixed in ( of course if you used a lot of aileron stick the flaps would move (one up and one down) which wasn't too good !!)

and then I got a Mutiplex Profi 3030 and life was easy again but I did get a second place in a CASL club contest with that K2 and Flash-5X

Philip
pocket rocket is online now Find More Posts by pocket rocket
Old Jan 09, 2007, 08:34 PM
USA, ME, Plymouth
Joined Aug 2006
271 Posts
Hey Ed,
What Ryan said... just "y" the flaps on throttle...The 5X has some basic sailplane mixes but, that's all you have with this radio.

Good luck!

Mike
Freakflyin is offline Find More Posts by Freakflyin
Last edited by Freakflyin; Jan 09, 2007 at 09:07 PM.
Old Jan 09, 2007, 10:04 PM
LI, New York, USA
Joined Mar 2003
24,553 Posts
Thanks guys. All of your suggestions will be valuable.

I hope I can get him into a new radio but if not, at least you suggestions will help.