HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 05, 2001, 01:19 AM
Kodiak AK USA
Joined Jun 2000
609 Posts
Tell us your experiences with the Permax 400BB

I just noticed this motor yesterday on Multiplex's site. Looks like a cantidate fro my CSD Twister. Any one have any experience with them? Props? Cell count? Amps? Replacable brushes? Any info would be much apreciated? Just looking for a cheap way(read: non brushless) way to soup up my Twister.

Foxtrot
Foxtrot is offline Find More Posts by Foxtrot
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 05, 2001, 01:51 AM
Salem, Oregon
Joined Jul 2000
111 Posts
I bought one for my Mini Ellipse about a month ago. I think that it the same motor as the Graupner 480 Race, or something like that.

I ran it direct on both 7cell 600AE and 8 Cell 600AE with a 6x3 prop. I don't have any exact numbers. But it was too hot to touch when done with a "no thermal" flight. If i remember it should have been close to 18 amps from what motocalc said.

Just a couple days ago I put a 4.5:1 gearbox on it. Started with an 11x8 then went to a 12x10. Climbs pretty good, but not real fast with that 12X10. Motor doesn't get as hot either.

I don't think I would buy it again if I had the choice, as I'm starting to think about which brushless motor could I fit into this little plane and it's only been a month.

Good luck

sprocket is offline Find More Posts by sprocket
Old Aug 05, 2001, 02:03 AM
San Diego, CA, USA
Joined Aug 2000
525 Posts
It's a good, inexpensive step-up from the std. speed 400 crowd, but you do have to use better cells than the 600ae's...

I replaced a geared speed 400 with one, running 7X800ar on a 6X4 prop. Pulls about 19-20 static. (The plane, BTW, is a Wattage Impress). It flys extremely well, and will loop continuously from level flight.

This motor would be good for pylon or other high-speed direct drive applications.

(I haven't run one geared)

THe brushes are replaceable, but they're not standard car size. (i.e. you'd have to sand down a set)

I like the motor.... This one was run WAY too hot by a friend of mine... He blackened the comm. real bad. I took it apart, cleaned up the comm, and have been running it ever since.
Spam is offline Find More Posts by Spam
Old Aug 08, 2001, 12:09 AM
Balsa Kamikaze
Germany, NRW
Joined Feb 2001
536 Posts
I'm late, but...

I had the Permax400BB in my "Knife", was fast like hell on a 4.7x4.7 CAM Speed and 8 cells 500A. Drew 18A static, the motor didn't get very hot during the (scary) 2 minutes flights - but the cells cooked.

If you get it, be sure to break it in properly! I didn't do that and messed up the commutator pretty bad after 5 flights or so.

_Jens
Jensst is offline Find More Posts by Jensst
Old Aug 08, 2001, 12:29 AM
Kodiak AK USA
Joined Jun 2000
609 Posts
Looks like I'll be getting this motor for my Twister. MotoCalc is predicting 92 mph prop speed on 8 cells.

Thanks for your inputs on the motor.

Foxtrot
Foxtrot is offline Find More Posts by Foxtrot