Old Jan 08, 2007, 10:55 AM
lukeselectric-rc
Blackpool, Great Britain (UK)
Joined Mar 2004
661 Posts
Discussion
How to get into the uk uav industry?

Hi guys,

Ive been flying rc for a good few years now and im in the middle of my ppl full scale training,ive been thinking lately that the way forwards for me is the world of uavs.

At 17 years of age i have the time to train in either the design,operation or any other skills that would be needed to work in the industry,the only problem i have is i dont know how to go about it,i have done alot of research into the subject and emailed gws regarding their uavs and how to get started but they havent replied,i guess they dont want to give away trade secrets.

Any advice or links to british companies would be greatly apreciated.

Thanks for any help in advance.

Luke
luke15 is offline Find More Posts by luke15
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 08, 2007, 05:29 PM
Oxford Panic
United Kingdom, Oxford
Joined Feb 2003
3,661 Posts
Luke,

Try contacting Qinetiq about their Mercator project, they may be able to tell you which direction to focus your studies in order to get into UAVs. Forget emailing hobby companies if you want make it a profession.

Andy.
AndyOne is offline Find More Posts by AndyOne
Old Jan 14, 2007, 02:35 PM
occasional browser
Blackbush, Great Britain (UK)
Joined Jan 2004
84 Posts
UAV piloting

Luke,
as most commercial UAV's are for the millitary i think only qinetiq and BAe have large scale UAV programs within the country, although the boss of green air designs is also in the buisness, but i can't remember his name.

i started out with an apprenticeship in avionics before a few years working in the space electronics group of QinetiQ, the uav team which produced the mercator aircraft for the belgium gov't is called the Zephyr HALE uav group, it started out in the space department where i was working after completing my apprenticeship. i am now in the zephyr avionics team and responsible for a large chunk of the avionics system. and being an aeromodeler, i am pilot number 3 for flight trials. we have 4 pilots for flying 24/7, although with the autonomy we are just sitting and watching, just incase.

you need to find a technology which UAV's use, and become an expert in it, quite a few of us on our team have all completed MoD apprenticeships.

our trials normally last severall weeks, and are always somewhere hot and sandy, can't say where though.

some ideas are, electronics, optics, composites, structual engineering, systems engineering or project management.

i was in the right place at the right time.

Rich C.
rchant is offline Find More Posts by rchant
Old Feb 08, 2007, 03:30 PM
Joined Nov 2006
7 Posts
UAV's

Hi guys,

Just clocked your thread and thought I'd reply. The boss at Green Air Designs (GAD) is called Mike Black. Mike is still involved in UAVs and has worked with the UK military and various other powers in this genre.

You can check out www.greenairdesigns.com for information on kits that GAD manufacture. There is also a shop front which is www.blackandwhite-models.com. Mike and Co also recently took over Replikit, please check out www.replikit.com. Mike can be contacted on enquiries@greenairdesigns.com.

Audrey
Ickleaudz is offline Find More Posts by Ickleaudz