HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 08, 2007, 10:46 AM
Afton VA
Joined Sep 2002
470 Posts
Build Log
MXC from RNR

Figured I start a build log on this one. For a $2000 plane the quality is quite lacking. The first job is to fix and fill all the bubbles and voids in the fuse. There are a dozen or so. Not an "out of the box" acceptable plane. Here are just a few of the bad ones. More seem to show up as I sand and prime. Seams are pretty bad also. Kind of a pain. I don't mind a few pin holes, but .....

(as a note: Richard said he would make it up to me with a set of joiners for my SBXC)
tbroeski is offline Find More Posts by tbroeski
Last edited by tbroeski; Jan 22, 2007 at 02:29 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 08, 2007, 11:06 AM
RIP Ric
Marietta, GA
Joined Jun 1999
43,312 Posts
If the gel is that bad, how much can you trust the structure?

For that kind of investment, I'd want a replacement, or my money back..

..a
Andy W is offline Find More Posts by Andy W
Old Jan 08, 2007, 12:49 PM
Be an organ donor
Little Rock, AR. U.S.A via U.K
Joined May 2004
1,162 Posts
For 2k, that bad boy would be heading back from wence it came. A hot letter suggesting some quality control would be with it too. I'm with Andy W. on trusting the structure. How much of that bubble isn't visible.

Keith
kwmtrubrit is offline Find More Posts by kwmtrubrit
Old Jan 08, 2007, 12:59 PM
4 wheels move a body; 2 a soul
Saratoga, Ca
Joined Feb 2004
1,462 Posts
I wonder whose laying up the RnR stuff now? Kinda scary stuff when you see that although several times Ive had planes with bubbles/voids/etc in the fuse and wing was sound. Does make you wonder about wing though. Also makes me wonder why the hell you paid 2K for a nib plane and are bothering to try and deal w/it? Would you fill/sand out/repaint that brand new car you just got off the lot? I think not.
Walter
glderguy is offline Find More Posts by glderguy
Old Jan 08, 2007, 01:11 PM
the flying is good
USA, CT, Hamden
Joined Oct 2002
2,111 Posts
I've seen only a few RnR planes that were nicely made. I think what Tom got was their trademark, signature model!
dephela is offline Find More Posts by dephela
Old Jan 08, 2007, 01:46 PM
Gravity is a harsh mistress.
United States, MI, Temperance
Joined Sep 2002
6,611 Posts
The Summa Classic I purchased years ago was a mess too. Should have sent it all back for a refund. Everything was stull covered with hardened mold release that should have been washed off right out of the mold. Instead, I had to use rubbing compound and a lot of work and time. Fuse halves were joined wrong and threw off the wing saddle area. I was able to sort it out, but I shouldn't have had to. But, there were no AVAs back then.
Tim Wolff is offline Find More Posts by Tim Wolff
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 08, 2007, 03:28 PM
Afton VA
Joined Sep 2002
470 Posts
Just to clarify. This is one plane that it is worth messing with, rather than sending it back. I am posting exactly what I have to do (and yes I would have preferred a bit better layup), but am not unhappy with the plane. From what I'm told by existing owners, it is a dream to fly. I waited many months for it and know what it takes to produce one of these. I'm glad there's someone like Rick to even attempt to provide a good XC plane. Figure he has to sell at least 10 to break even on the molds. Hopefully, this is not the norm. I've built 3 SBXC's and never had a problem like this. I don't see any structural problems, just cosmetic. I will be posting more as I go. Would like to hear from some existing owners on how they did the tail servos.
Old Jan 08, 2007, 03:53 PM
Afton VA
Joined Sep 2002
470 Posts
Nose cone

After a good deal of sanding, filling, sanding, priming, etc. I put a good coat of white on to hide the fill spots and painted it red.
Old Jan 08, 2007, 07:09 PM
Joined Apr 2005
216 Posts
Nice Recovery from what you started with Tom.
Hows the rest of the plane?
Any more closeup photo's?

Is it made with Epoxy or Polyester?

Tim
terminal eagle is offline Find More Posts by terminal eagle
Old Jan 08, 2007, 07:29 PM
more casual than stylish....
Joined Jan 2003
6,990 Posts
Hey it cant be all bad- They named it after my favorite TV show...
slopemeno is offline Find More Posts by slopemeno
Last edited by slopemeno; Jan 08, 2007 at 07:35 PM.
Old Jan 08, 2007, 09:40 PM
Nothing Special
Middletown, CT
Joined Dec 2003
272 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by slopemeno
Hey it cant be all bad- They named it after my favorite TV show...
Don't get eliminated....from a TD comp!
grouch is offline Find More Posts by grouch
Old Jan 09, 2007, 04:10 PM
Afton VA
Joined Sep 2002
470 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by terminal eagle
Nice Recovery from what you started with Tom.
Hows the rest of the plane?
Any more closeup photo's?

Is it made with Epoxy or Polyester?

Tim
Will be posting the rudder tomorrow. Will post finished fuse later in the week.

Epoxy. The coating in not a normal gel coat. Don't let water drops sit on it for any length of time. Wax it good if you aren't painting it.
Old Jan 09, 2007, 04:15 PM
the flying is good
USA, CT, Hamden
Joined Oct 2002
2,111 Posts
Quote:
Don't let water drops sit on it for any length of time.
I picked up a Synergy III eleven years ago. Left it out out during a short shower and forever afterwards it had a polka dotted wing!
dephela is offline Find More Posts by dephela
Old Jan 10, 2007, 10:24 AM
Joined Oct 2004
603 Posts
I'm headed for the AMA convention in Ontario, Ca. bringing with me a SBXC I hope to put on static display. I'm also bringing a MXC "quick build" kit with the hopes of setting it up somewhere. The MXC is one fantatisic glider for cross country. 13' span, 14" chord, long tail moment that will build under 5K weight rule. Slows down and hangs in there in a tight thermal yet will scoot faster than you can drive with almost no apparent loss in altitude. My cell # is 541-944-6446 if I havn't been able to set it up and you want to see it. Some pictures at www.xcsoaring.com.
BTW it will take way more than 10 to pay for the molds.
Regards Dean
DEAN GRADWELL is online now Find More Posts by DEAN GRADWELL
Old Jan 11, 2007, 08:24 AM
Afton VA
Joined Sep 2002
470 Posts
Rudder

Filled the couple small dings, sanded primed and painted. The rudder comes already attached to the fuse and the hinge tape has very strong adhesive, so if you don't want to spend the time removing it, don't paint the rudder. I want a yellow fuse with red nose and rudder, so I've chosen to put in the extra effort.