HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 07, 2007, 06:20 PM
Joined Jan 2007
4 Posts
Discussion
Still shaking from maiden flight with ES

Wow! That was an adrenilan rush. I have been trying to decide between a SS and ES for the past week or so. I have read hundreds of posts. I have been sold on each and then changed my mind. Finally, decided to order a SS slope glider and put all my own gear on it. Went to the LHS today and they had a ES staring me in the face so I bought it instead. I plugged the battery in right away and started the build. I immediately cut the top of the vertical stabilizer and taped it to the rudder and then used tape to hinge the whole thing. I re-enforced the control horns with tape. and then just put it all together. By then the battery was charged. I installed it as far forward as possible and the COG looked just about perfect on my fingers.

Down to the field and what do you know, three other flyers where just packing up. I asked and they stuck around to offer some advise.

First flight...started off great, got a little too far way for my tastes and then I got confused with up/down while trying to trim it. Add three guys all "coaching" me and it ended in a cartwheel "landing" with the fuselage cover popping off. I reinstalled it and tried again.

Second flight....started off fine, kept it short, perfect landing.

Third flight.....started off fine, flew too long (by too long I mean more than about 20-30 seconds) and ended with a low altitude stall and a full power vertical dive "landing" with the fuselage cover popping off and the entire rear rudder/stabilizer ripping away from the two-sided tape.

Went home and used CA to remount the rudder/stabilizer and returned to the field.

I decided all of my flights would be short and although I know altitude is my friend, I really wanted to keep it fairly low and safely within the flying field.

Fourth flight...short low and perfect landing.

All subsequent fights ended with perfect landings. I flew for probably 10-15 minutes. I practiced right and left turns, figure eights and about 5 or 6 perfect landings. The battery died at about 30/40 feet, lost all motor but still had directional control so I just glided in for another perfect landing.

Obviously I have never flown before. I was please with how steep the learning curve is as it seamed to get MUCH easier with each flight.
rkwfxd is offline Find More Posts by rkwfxd
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 07, 2007, 07:10 PM
Frequent Flyer
Kalamazoo, MI USA
Joined Aug 2003
2,892 Posts
Welcome to RCGroups!

Thanks for posting your first flights, and congrats on the success!
It keeps getting better.
200 feet is a good practice altitude for a plane like that. Easy to see, yet time to recover.

Brian
wattsup_kz is offline Find More Posts by wattsup_kz
Old Jan 07, 2007, 08:22 PM
Spring, Texas
Joined Dec 2005
738 Posts
I like you, liked to keep my plane low at first...if I screwed up at altitude, I always panicked, causing a deadly crash. If I kept it low and somthing messed up, I cut power and it safly plopped onto the ground.

As you get better, obviously get higher, it is in the end, and after you learn to fully control the plane, your friend. But right now, when your still getting confused on controls, and gittery, I would reccomend staying low.
chase4556 is offline Find More Posts by chase4556
Old Jan 07, 2007, 08:29 PM
There are four lights!
Santa Cruz, C.A.
Joined Jan 2005
702 Posts
Good Job!!!
kcar is offline Find More Posts by kcar
Old Jan 07, 2007, 09:28 PM
Watch out for that TREE!
Houston, Tx
Joined Oct 2006
1,458 Posts
Congrats on your first flight. Sounds like it went better than my first 10 flights. I was afraid to get too high when I first started and it seemed better to crash quickly when low, than chance a bad crash from altitude. But, listen to the advice and get altitude. It makes learning so much easier. Do yourself a favor next time out and go high. You'll never look back.

John
GD5015 is offline Find More Posts by GD5015
Old Jan 07, 2007, 09:33 PM
Joined Jan 2007
4 Posts
Thanks for the advise and encouragement. I am confident I will fly higher next time out. After I put my plane up for the night another ES flyer showed up with a HOT brushless motor, ESC, and 11 volt Lipo packs. He could go into an extended vertical climb no problem. He was very expereinced and flew 200-400 feet.

Sure hope I get home in time to fly tomarrow.
rkwfxd is offline Find More Posts by rkwfxd
Old Jan 07, 2007, 09:33 PM
Southwest Florida
Joined Mar 2004
3,223 Posts
GET ALTITUDE! Keeping it low is asking for trouble, no time to react or correct. Good luck. Jim
Jimbo45cn is offline Find More Posts by Jimbo45cn
Old Jan 07, 2007, 11:28 PM
The BA
Joined Oct 2006
309 Posts
You gotta love the Easy Star for its ability to withstand abuse. It looks all fragile, but can take more punches than Muhammad Ali.
GoLikeaFish is offline Find More Posts by GoLikeaFish