SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jan 07, 2007, 03:58 PM
Kite flying SCRAPS member
Hampshire, UK
Joined Apr 2004
983 Posts
Help!
Multiplex Cockpit SX throttle programming?

Hi ,Can anyone help?

I have just bought a Cockpit SX and I am having problems setting up the throttle. I have set a model using the Easy template and mode 4 for the sticks - trouble is the throttle only works when the stick moves past centre - is there any way of setting it so that all of the stick movement is used?

Thanks
DaveB
GliderGuideMan is offline Find More Posts by GliderGuideMan
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 07, 2007, 04:57 PM
UK
Joined Nov 2002
1,664 Posts
Sounds to me like an error in Multiplex's firmware, see www.rc-soar.com/multiplex/cockpitsx/review.htm about half way down the page "non-linear throttle response".

Harry
HarryC is offline Find More Posts by HarryC
Old Jan 10, 2007, 06:59 AM
Hampshire, UK
Joined Apr 2004
983 Posts
Thanks Harry

I read that and thought that was the answer, but it looks like the Cockpit SX doesn't like some ESCs. I tried the same setup with a Castle Creations ESC and the throtlle worked just fine

DaveB...>
Old Jan 10, 2007, 07:13 AM
Electric Hippy
Brisbane
Joined Nov 2005
2,361 Posts
What controllers dont it like? was thinking of getting one.
Eagleburger is offline Find More Posts by Eagleburger
Old Jan 10, 2007, 07:36 AM
UK
Joined Nov 2002
1,664 Posts
It is possible that the Tx is fooling some ESC's failsafe circuits.
At the default travel of 100%, Multiplex sends a signal the same as a JR turned up to 138%. A poorly programmed ESC may think this is a signal beyond normal, and fail to respond. (The ESCs failsafe should interpret the signal as valid but you never know exactly how they have programmed it).

Try turning the servo travel down to 73% to emulate a JR signal, or 83% to emulate a Futaba signal, and see if that works.

H
Old Jan 10, 2007, 09:59 AM
Hampshire, UK
Joined Apr 2004
983 Posts
Brilliant that worked although I could only get it working by setting servo travel to -100 Thanks for that Harry

Eagleburger - the only ESC I have had a problem with so far is a 15a Tower Pro, it works fine with my Castle Creations, Jeti Advance and HiModel controllers

DaveB...>
Old Jan 13, 2007, 04:58 PM
UK
Joined Nov 2002
1,664 Posts
Dave, I have been testing a friend's SX - the throttle trim is many times more coarse than the other trims so it affects a lot of travel. Full back to full forward throttle trim is half the servo travel, which is enormous by normal standards. Your engine will not need that much travel on the trim, so if you set it to shut down at fully back trim, then fast idle should come at something like mid trim or perhaps less, thus leaving enough travel for the stick to work with.

Harry
Old Jan 14, 2007, 10:09 AM
Hampshire, UK
Joined Apr 2004
983 Posts
Hi Harry

Thanks for that information, I will take another look tonight and see if I have proportional throttle right through the stick travel

DaveB...>