Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Jan 07, 2007, 02:11 PM
Joined Jun 2004
4 Posts
Discussion
electric conversion of a ramtec fan

I have a Josh Harel A-10 that is designed for twin OS91vrdf's and Ramtec fans.
Does anyone know if there is a suitable brushless moter that would run these fans?.
FatBill is offline Find More Posts by FatBill
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 07, 2007, 02:18 PM
Las Vegas, NV
Joined Dec 1996
7,927 Posts
Not that I've heard of yet but somebody's bound to try it. I've seen that big A-10 fly at the QSAA Giant scale rally back in the 90s and lets just say there wasn't a lot of excess power there, it was a huge airplane to push around on those fans. The nacelles are huge, you could go with a larger fan if there was one. Well there is, the Byron Byrojet, some guys in Arizona are converting them with some Hacker outrunners. Don't recall the wattage their getting but probably more static thrust than a ramtec would do since it's a larger fan. I don't know if you have molded nacelles or you're doing an all balsa project but if balsa then you could change the design to suit the byron.

I believe Josh Harel's original design used his 3 bladed cut down master airscrew and custom designed 8" housing for power. If you ran that on maybe some outrunners that might be even better but I don't know what the flight speed would be. I heard the glow motors were throwing prop blades so that's why the guys in Denver who built the ones I saw went with the glow fans.

good luck
Ed Waldrep is offline Find More Posts by Ed Waldrep
Old Jan 07, 2007, 05:37 PM
smug in granny panties
NorCal Silicon Valley
Joined Aug 2002
11,778 Posts
yeah its a tall order right now for ramtec and dynamax stuff in regards to motor and ESC's . Bruff is messing with Byro stuff right now with some good result's, and parts for conversion are supposed to be available soon from EJF.com.
monkamarm2000 is offline Find More Posts by monkamarm2000
Old Jan 07, 2007, 05:40 PM
Suspended Account
Braintree, Essex
Joined Mar 2006
3,174 Posts
Big fans

Winmodels made the wm2000 fan 125 mm for ivan goodchilds big a10, not cheap and you might wait for ever for delivery, but these would be the ultimare.

Otherwise the e-turbax might be a fair coice.

Steve
Whistling Watts is offline Find More Posts by Whistling Watts
Old Jan 07, 2007, 05:40 PM
EDF Jet Jam May 2014
United States, KY, Crestview Hills
Joined Dec 2000
6,310 Posts
yes it is a new model called a turbine!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FatBill
I have a Josh Harel A-10 that is designed for twin OS91vrdf's and Ramtec fans.
Does anyone know if there is a suitable brushless moter that would run these fans?.
Robert Belluomini is offline Find More Posts by Robert Belluomini
Old Jan 08, 2007, 08:01 AM
Suspended Account
Braintree, Essex
Joined Mar 2006
3,174 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Belluomini
yes it is a new model called a turbine!
Take this man out and give him a cigerette and a blindfold Get out of this thread!
Old Jan 08, 2007, 10:27 AM
Canada, AB, Airdrie
Joined Oct 2001
2,324 Posts
LOL good one whistling...

I have the Giant Jets F-16A semi kit from Josh Harel and I think a twin Byron conversion of his A-10 would be Perfect,and relatively inexpensive.

The Dynamax and Ramtec are a little on the small side for this one IMHO

From the looks of the plans that I have you could EASILY loose a few pounds just by substituting foam or hard balsa in alot of non structural areas....it calls for plywood EVERYwhere

I am working towards this build by getting the EDF setup and finding out it's capabilities on a sport jet before Diving into a huge build like the F-16 or in your case the very cool ,but very large A-10.

Bruce
gbruce is offline Find More Posts by gbruce
Old Jan 08, 2007, 11:23 AM
Suspended Account
Braintree, Essex
Joined Mar 2006
3,174 Posts
new big fans

There is something going on in Germany on big edf and new fans at the moment. If I told you I would have to kill you