HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 10, 2007, 09:11 AM
Neophyte hacker
Albuquerque, NM USA
Joined Sep 2003
15,353 Posts
I have had this problem between warbird and civil. It boils down to whatever category the builder thinks it should be in.

If the builder doesn't tell me I look at the photos and make a guess.

charlie
portablevcb is offline Find More Posts by portablevcb
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 10, 2007, 10:37 PM
I'm just a CAD at heart
Perth, Australia
Joined Mar 2003
431 Posts
Istvan

construction has not started yet, sorry if I gave that impression. I am still working on the drawings but may get to a wood cutting stage some point in the weekend, once I finish repairing our spare bedroom from all of the white ant (termite) damage - lost parts of 3 walls of our timber frame house and spent christmas holidays ripping the old weather boards off, doing external repairs and re weather boarding the outside. Need to get plaster board and finish the internal walls now and then redecorate.

I must say that working on 1:1 houses gives the eyes a rest from the hobbies more intricate fiddling although the woods a tad heavier !

Still smiling however

Pete H
Pete H is offline Find More Posts by Pete H
Old Jan 14, 2007, 06:58 AM
I'm just a CAD at heart
Perth, Australia
Joined Mar 2003
431 Posts
Progress Report

I'll try and do a progress report at least each weekend. Plans probably around 60% complete now. Profile finished and plan partway. Still need to work out ribs/spars for wings, hatch details and so forth.

At least the walls are also 50% finished as well so should be complete for next weekend

Pete H
Old Jan 21, 2007, 08:19 PM
I'm just a CAD at heart
Perth, Australia
Joined Mar 2003
431 Posts
Lack of progress report

Heavy week last week what with work and the house rebuild. Only managed to add a few fuselage formers to the plan and work out some rough rib spacing for the wings. Next job is to find some software to produce the ribs with spar cutouts etc. - any that people really like out there.

I have (scale) around 6 degrees of dihederal each side of the central flat section, will this be enough for R/E/T? I think I read somewhere 12 degress is about right for R/E/T but cannot remember for sure, if so then I should be right. This should not alter for low wing compared to high wing should it?

Many questions and not much progress - not good. Should finish house repairs this week if the last materials arrive on time so will then be able to get on better

Pete H
Old Jan 22, 2007, 05:38 AM
The Netherlands, ZH, Boskoop
Joined Mar 2001
1,147 Posts
Because of the large flat central section, effective dihedral is less than 6 deg., so it may be marginal. Why not use ailerons? With todays cheap & cheerful servos you can stick one in each wing, so you don't have to bother with intricate linkages.

Max.
max z is offline Find More Posts by max z
Old Jan 22, 2007, 06:02 AM
East Anglia, UK
Joined Sep 2002
29,687 Posts
I agree..6 degrees may not be enough on a low wing..lots of lateral fuselage area to give adverse roll under yaw.

Go with ailerons..
vintage1 is offline Find More Posts by vintage1
Old Jan 22, 2007, 05:46 PM
I'm just a CAD at heart
Perth, Australia
Joined Mar 2003
431 Posts
Max and Vint,

Only reason thinking RET was I have never flown Aileron! I certainly agree that with todays light servos it does not make sense to use a single central servoTorque tubes unless you want to hide the linkages. Guess it will also allow some flap to be selected for landing.

Mind you at a stall speed of around 11 mph I wonder about the effectiveness of ailerons?

Thanks for the feed back

Pete H
Old Jan 26, 2007, 06:25 AM
I'm just a CAD at heart
Perth, Australia
Joined Mar 2003
431 Posts
Happy Australia Day to my fellow Aussies

Good news,
Today is a national holiday here in Oz so I gave finally completed the repairs to our house so can get on with the design. Wing ribs have been standardised on seperation so aileron will be slightly out of scale (only about 1/4" if that). Just need to tweak the rib thicknesses to keep the flat, central panel the same height throughout. - though may decide to cheat that if need be. I think I will just use the good old clark Y for this model, don't know enough about that subject to make informed decisions.

Pete H

Hoping to start wood cutting this weekend
Old Jan 26, 2007, 11:32 AM
Registerd Beaver
Australia, WA, Warwick
Joined Jul 2003
3,544 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete H
Happy Australia Day to my fellow Aussies
Cheers m8
right back atchya

Phil
Smokin' Beaver is offline Find More Posts by Smokin' Beaver
Old Jan 31, 2007, 09:50 PM
I'm just a CAD at heart
Perth, Australia
Joined Mar 2003
431 Posts
It flys!

or should I say the simple chuck glider I built to check the CoG flew well - 1/16" wing and 4mm fuselage. Photo will be added later as I'm at work right now. profile chuckie is around 1/2 model size and weighs 16gm, almost tempted to fit an LPS b2C but that would take up building time Nice stable glide even with all of the weight on top of the wing

Pete
Old Feb 01, 2007, 07:00 AM
I'm just a CAD at heart
Perth, Australia
Joined Mar 2003
431 Posts
Photos of chuck glider - maybe I should call this onr Rudolf with that nice red nose!

Pete H
Old Feb 04, 2007, 10:59 PM
I'm just a CAD at heart
Perth, Australia
Joined Mar 2003
431 Posts
Progress Report

Well this weekend managed to cut all wing ribs and the main fuselage 'box' components. This is quite a bulky fuselage so I am thinking I may need to upgrade the motor to a 280 to swing a large enough prop to get the thrust behind the plane Fuselage is around 3.5" wide so there is plenty of room for the RC gear. Also managed to get some quite hard 1/8th balsa for the longerons.

Pete H
Old Feb 11, 2007, 05:24 AM
I'm just a CAD at heart
Perth, Australia
Joined Mar 2003
431 Posts
Progress Report

Fuselage build was started this weekend but have rin into a snag. The nose of this plane has a distinct cowl and some of my sections appear to be with and some without the cowl. Thus when I started the nose section build I ran into problems - will have to revisit this area in my plans again and see if I can make more sense of it this time.

I have designed this plane in a very rake manner, with a box forward and stringer rear, also splitting the fuselage vertically so the fuselage can all be joined on a flat surface and then the upper frames added to make the turtle deck. Photo to follow
Old Feb 11, 2007, 05:31 AM
I'm just a CAD at heart
Perth, Australia
Joined Mar 2003
431 Posts
Photo of build with 'wrong' nose - you can see how the third former won't blend in to former 2 and the front of the 'box'
Old Feb 14, 2007, 06:37 PM
I'm just a CAD at heart
Perth, Australia
Joined Mar 2003
431 Posts
I have now worked out the correct nose formers and rebuilt the nose area. I am probably making work for myself but am making the formers to suit both the inner, main body and outer cowling in the one piece. Photo to follow as that is at home.

No work tonight as it's the monthly indoor session. Hopefully more this weekend.

Pete