Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio

CustomCDR Hot and Cool Wind Single Billet Bullet Brushless Motors Review

Ronnie Pope and Mike Llewellyn take a look at the Single stator CustomCDR Motors. Included in this review are the Billet Bullet Hot and Cool Wind Brushless Motors.

Splash

Introduction

Billet Bullet ’’Hot Wind’’ Single
Specifications:
Weight:Weight- 20-24 grams (depending on options)
Max AMPs:10 AMP
Propeller:7x3.5 GWS HD on 3s
Propeller:8x4 GWS HD on 2s
Thrust:15-22oz
Pitch Speed:50-70 mph

Billet Bullet ’’Cool Wind" Single
Specifications:
Weight:Weight- 20-24 grams (depending on options)
Max AMPs:10 AMP
Propeller:8x4 GWS HD on 3s
Propeller:9x5 GWS HD on 2s
Thrust:15-19oz
Pitch Speed:30-40 mph
ESC:Castle Phoenix 10 and Thunderbird 18
 The CustomCDR 'Cool Wind' Single with available
The CustomCDR 'Cool Wind' Single with available "wobbly" prop adapter

US distributor:CustomCDR
Available From:CustomCDR

CustomCDR has two brushless sub-ounce motors that have really brought our smaller ships to life.

Although these motors are very small and light they do not lack power. We could not wait to get them mounted and flying! Lets take a look at these great little powerhouses.

Motors Include:

• Motor
  • Custom firewall mount
  • Beautifully machined endbells
  • Anodized finished

Motors require:

• 10 AMP Brushless ESC
  • Propeller
  • 2s-3s LiPoly battery
  • Mounting screws
  • Propeller Collet/adapter

Connection to ESC

Deans makes a micro-size 3-pin unpolarized connector that works wonderfully for this purpose. Unfortunately, the 3-pin unpolarized connectors have recently been hard to find so we used the 4-pin polarized connector with the last offset pin removed.

Mounting

Both motors include a high quality integrated firewall mount that has three legs that extend beyond the motor bell. The engines accept small servo-type mounting screws to mount to the firewall, but they can also be ordered with a tube type mount.

Ronnie's thoughts on the CustomCDR 'Hot Wind' Single motor: The motor is small and very light. This is important for the A-7 pusher jet, which needs a light motor to achieve the proper CG. I highly recommended it for this application.

Mike's thoughts on the CustomCDR 'Cool Wind' Single motor: This motor is an excellent choice for park flyers that swing 7" to 9" props. It worked well for the Mini Sport.

Amp draws

RCGroups member Dr Kiwi tested both of the motors on a 3s pack with the following results (posted with his permission - thanks Dr. Kiwi!):

Billet Bullet ‘Hot Wind’ Single
APC E Props Volts Amps Watts RPM Pitch Speed(mph)
4.2x4 10.9 3.65 40 16170 61.3
4.5x4.1 10.7 4.45 47 15450 60
5.25x6.25 10.9 10.1 110 13530 80.1
Zagi 5.1x4.9 10.9 7.05 77 14850 68.9

Billet Bullet ‘Cool Wind’ Single
GWS HD Props Volts Amps Watts RPM Pitch Speed(mph)
7x3.5 10.9 4.9 54 12240 40.6
8x4 10.9 9.4 101 10020 38.0
9x5 9.9 10.55 104 7410 35.1

As shown in the numbers above, these are both very strong little motors. The bearings are smooth and the cogging is very strong on both motors making it clear that high quality curved magnets are used and that the stator to magnet gap is very small. The machining and anodizing work are excellent.

The Castle Thunderbird controllers used with these motors started them without stuttering or hesitation. For more information on the Castle ESCs please see Castle.

Weight

Total weight of each motor not including the prop adapter is just .85 oz.

’Hot Wind’

Since the ‘Hot Wind’ motor is really for faster ships, we installed it on a pusher type jet: a semi-scale A-7 Corsair designed by friend and fellow flier Doug Cohen.

The A-7 with the 3S 1320 DualSky pack weighed in at 13.8 oz. I used an APC-E 4.5x4.1 prop on this plane. The CustomCDR 'Hot Wind' single proved to be the perfect power plant for the A-7. It's easy to mount, extremely lightweight and has significant power for it's size. The A-7 Corsair has a broad speed envelope and the 'Hot Wind' Single performed flawlessly at all speeds.

’Cool Wind’

For the ‘Cool Wind’ motor we selected the Herr Mini-Sport airplane. This 36” span plane tips the scales at 12 oz. with a 3s 350Mah Tanic pack. Since we were trying to keep the amp draw at around 5 amps to accommodate the 15C pack, the the GWS 7x3.5 HD prop was chosen for this aircraft. As the video illustrates, The ‘Cool Wind’ motor provides plenty of power for this small airplane.

The ‘Cool Wind’ motor and the Herr Mini-Sport make an excellent combination. Even though the motor is capable of nearly twice the power, I used the 7x3.5 propeller to be kind to the smaller cells used with the Mini-Sport. The 5amp draw and GWS HD 7x3.5 propeller still give this airplane more power than it needs. It has enough power for continuous loops and great rolls.

The ‘Cool Wind’ motor would also make an excellent choice for small 3D ships. The bearings are of a high quality - something missing in a number of the overseas motors that we have seen on the market recently.

Flight Video

Downloads

Downloads

As you can see, these tiny motors don’t lack power. The A-7 is propped for 10 amps and the Herr Mini-Sport is propped for about 5 amps, yet the power is significant!

Conclusion

The single stator Hot and Cool wind motors are winners. The Billet Bullets are indeed bullets! The motors performed flawlessly both in the static amp-draw tests and where it matters... in the air. Even with the included 3 screw firewall built-in mounts, they are amazingly light.

Plusses:

• Excellent looks
  • High quality, precision handmade
  • Hand wound to order
  • Super light
  • Very powerful

Minuses:

• None that we can think of!

These are very impressive and light power plants. We were both happy with the quality and the power these little monsters put out. For more information, go to CustomCDR.com and order your own CustomCDR Billet Bullet single motor today!

Last edited by AMCross; Mar 15, 2007 at 08:44 PM..

Discussion

Old Apr 25, 2007, 12:44 PM
Chattanooga, Tennessee, United States
Joined May 2003
27,197 Posts
Just a point of correction - that 7.9A draw for the "Hot Wind" with a 4.5x4.1 can't be correct. I got:

10.7v, 4.45A, 47W, 15450rpm, 60.0mph

Phil
Dr Kiwi is offline Find More Posts by Dr Kiwi
Last edited by Dr Kiwi; Apr 25, 2007 at 01:04 PM.
Old Apr 25, 2007, 01:34 PM
"Have Glue - Will Travel"
Ft. Worth, Texas
Joined Jan 2004
2,428 Posts
Phil,

Thanks very much, the test data for the 'hot wind' has been corrected and you have our sincere thanks for the use of your test data

Ronnie
dawnron1 is offline Find More Posts by dawnron1
Last edited by dawnron1; Apr 25, 2007 at 01:42 PM.
Old Apr 25, 2007, 03:38 PM
Cracow, Poland
Joined Nov 2003
651 Posts
When there will be some NEGATIVE reviews on the E-Zone?
Szymon Bartus is offline Find More Posts by Szymon Bartus
Old Apr 25, 2007, 04:26 PM
Ouch...
Simpsonville, SC
Joined Aug 2005
141 Posts
Nice little review. I love my CDR Hot Single on a Micro Jet setup light with a Zagi carbon prop. You can build ultra light with that motor, TB9 ESC and small lipos. Makes the MJ a real floater and a cinch to launch and land but with enough speed to still make it fun to fly. I have a CDR Cool Double thats been around for a long time that I still use quite a bit as well.
frvrngn is offline Find More Posts by frvrngn
Old Apr 25, 2007, 10:40 PM
MN WATTS Master
United States, MN, Mankato
Joined Jul 2003
7,374 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Szymon Bartus

Well I can't fault this review as these motors really are great. They are my workhorse for all types of planes.

Steve
Vintauri is offline Find More Posts by Vintauri
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 25, 2007, 11:11 PM
Got more toys than my kid
USA, CA, Fremont
Joined Sep 2004
3,676 Posts
From what I can tell, they only bother to put the good stuff into an article. In E-Zone...no news is BAD news!

- Jim
macr0t0r is offline Find More Posts by macr0t0r
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 25, 2007, 11:13 PM
Electric Hippy
Brisbane
Joined Nov 2005
2,360 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Szymon Bartus
I cant fault these little motors. I have two singles and a double.

My friend tried to get me to part with one but I said no. I really like them in pushers as they are really light for the power they provide.
Eagleburger is offline Find More Posts by Eagleburger
Old Apr 26, 2007, 07:53 AM
USA, TX, Trophy Club
Joined May 2002
14,476 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by macr0t0r
From what I can tell, they only bother to put the good stuff into an article. In E-Zone...no news is BAD news!

- Jim
Jim you are a wise man!

But I can tell you - these little motors are fantastic - super for use where light weight is key - yet you can pump 10 amps through them....

I have the red hot single in a HL Lynx right now - I can tell you with the 5.25x6.25 prop and a tad over 10amps and it goes like stink!

Nothing negative about these little motors they are fantastic!

Mike
pda4you is offline Find More Posts by pda4you
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 26, 2007, 07:59 AM
KK6MQJ
Joined Sep 2004
13,616 Posts

That is what is nice about RCG and these forums ... if YOU disagree with something you read and your experiences are otherwise, you are free to post it for all of us to see and discuss as mature adults.
Bajora is offline Find More Posts by Bajora
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 26, 2007, 01:26 PM
"Have Glue - Will Travel"
Ft. Worth, Texas
Joined Jan 2004
2,428 Posts
Well said, Jon!

Thanks guys, as Steve, Mike and others have said, these little motors perfrom amazingly well for their size and weight!

Ronnie
dawnron1 is offline Find More Posts by dawnron1
Old Apr 26, 2007, 02:47 PM
Antony (France)
Joined Sep 2003
2,911 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dawnron1
Phil,

Thanks very much, the test data for the 'hot wind' has been corrected and you have our sincere thanks for the use of your test data

Ronnie
Hi

I am ready to test them to get
* Io no load versus Voltage
* Rm internal resistance @ 20°C
* Kv
* Thermal behaviour (Kth °C/W and thermal time constant)

So I could judge with my software the complete performances and compare with competitors.
It's up to you
Louis
Fourdan is online now Find More Posts by Fourdan
Old Apr 26, 2007, 03:11 PM
UT
Joined Oct 2004
1,624 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fourdan
Hi

I am ready to test them to get
* Io no load versus Voltage
* Rm internal resistance @ 20°C
* Kv
* Thermal behaviour (Kth °C/W and thermal time constant)

So I could judge with my software the complete performances and compare with competitors.
It's up to you
Louis
I would like to see the test results..
morphs is offline Find More Posts by morphs
Old Apr 26, 2007, 03:44 PM
Antony (France)
Joined Sep 2003
2,911 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by morphs
I would like to see the test results..
Hi Morphs
Sorry but, for now, I have no sample-motors to test.
I "would be" ready to test, should be a better wording.
Louis
Fourdan is online now Find More Posts by Fourdan
Old Apr 27, 2007, 02:42 PM
Fly it like you stole it..
Florence, Al
Joined Oct 2000
29,298 Posts
What A7 is that? Is that the sortA-7 that EAMRC sold a few years back?

Jeff
www.CommonSenseRC.com
Tram is offline Find More Posts by Tram