HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 06, 2007, 03:38 PM
Dan Murphy
USA, MA, Hopkinton
Joined Mar 2006
417 Posts
Rave
WOW - Sloping in shorts on Boston Harbor on Jan 6

Temps were nudging 70 today when the sun came out in the afternoon. Wind was SW 20-25 to start, then subsided to 15-20. Pretty cool for Jan 6.

Downside - skiing sucks. Just gotta be flexible.

Murph
merlinmurph is offline Find More Posts by merlinmurph
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 06, 2007, 03:50 PM
daveosoar
hampshire
Joined Mar 2006
607 Posts
I think you mean pretty warm! Locally we have 8-9C (grown-up units) and 20Kts on the slope but its raining! Warm for the season so to he** with the rain we'll fly anyway. The biggest problem was wet grass, it took my 1/4 Salto about 100M to stop!
Dave.
daveosoar is offline Find More Posts by daveosoar
Old Jan 06, 2007, 04:00 PM
Where's the wind?
United States, CO, Denver
Joined Jun 2004
5,751 Posts
Okay quit rubbing it in. It's 12F with 3 feet of white stuff on the ground here on the front range in CO. I left Canada to get away from the white stuff among other reasons and we have had 3 storms in 3 weeks dumping multiple feet of this shoveling nightmare.

Andrew
the_canuck is online now Find More Posts by the_canuck
Old Jan 06, 2007, 04:11 PM
Dan Murphy
USA, MA, Hopkinton
Joined Mar 2006
417 Posts
Well Canuck, I'll be out there in a month to get some skiing in, so I hope to suffer along with you with all that white stuff.

Just noticed there was a big slide on Berthoud Pass - ouch.

Murph
Old Jan 06, 2007, 04:57 PM
AKA Cactus
Cornwall UK
Joined Aug 2002
2,555 Posts
i think Kevin Newton wears shorts no matter what the weather!

never seen a pic of him in anything else
Phillybaby is offline Find More Posts by Phillybaby
Old Jan 06, 2007, 07:40 PM
fun is the goal
USA, NY, Albany
Joined Dec 2003
1,556 Posts
Murph,

How good is the Boston Harbor slope site? I'm near that area (Fall River) fairly often.

Andreas
AndreasMergner is offline Find More Posts by AndreasMergner
Old Jan 06, 2007, 08:26 PM
Int'l Slope Observer
Fremont, CA
Joined Oct 2001
1,887 Posts
Huh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_canuck
...I left Canada to get away from the white stuff...
OK, admittedly I've never been to CO (I have only spent about two hours in Denver Stapleton Airport, but that's as far as I have gone), so I should not talk about CO weather.

That being said, I've lived in US all of my life, and I've watched the news on TV for as long. As far as I've always heard, CO is definitely not the place to move to if you want to get away from snow

At least you had a White Christmas. We have been getting 30-40 degree mornings, but never any snow here in the SF Bay Area

Happy Flying ;-)

John
webguyjv is offline Find More Posts by webguyjv
Old Jan 06, 2007, 11:53 PM
Where's the wind?
Joined Jun 2004
5,751 Posts
Ya the mountains are supposed to get alot of snow but down on the front range we usually only get 8" - 9" of total precip. a year. It's completely unusual for us to get so much so quickly.

Andrew
Old Jan 07, 2007, 12:18 PM
Int'l Slope Observer
Fremont, CA
Joined Oct 2001
1,887 Posts
Slope Soaring in CO

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_canuck
Ya the mountains are supposed to get alot of snow but down on the front range we usually only get 8" - 9" of total precip. a year. It's completely unusual for us to get so much so quickly.
Andrew
Well, as far as I'm concerned, you guys are the experts. I hope to get out there this summer and visit you, Daemon, Cody, Bill Moxon and the gang and see what Rocky Mountain Slope Soaring is all about.

So far, the farthest east that I have driven was somewhere between Reno and Salt lake City (on my way north to Glacier National Park.

I hope I can get this road trip together this summer., It would be great to fly with you guys

Happy Flying ;-)

John
webguyjv is offline Find More Posts by webguyjv
Old Jan 07, 2007, 12:27 PM
Where's the wind?
Joined Jun 2004
5,751 Posts
Try to time it with one of the local events here. We'll be posting about them as they get closer. I'll have them in my event calendar on my website.

We'll hook you up with some unforgetable mountain soaring.

Andrew
Old Jan 07, 2007, 04:02 PM
Feeling FrSky
United States, CA, Santa Barbara
Joined Feb 2003
19,919 Posts
Wait, weren't you guys just trying to find a slope site around Boston last week? I guess you got it sorted!

Post pictures already!

Steve
surfimp is offline Find More Posts by surfimp
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Buzz Evo RTF acro glider review
Old Jan 07, 2007, 05:44 PM
Dan Murphy
USA, MA, Hopkinton
Joined Mar 2006
417 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by InsaneEPP
How good is the Boston Harbor slope site? I'm near that area (Fall River) fairly often.
Well, I'd say it's OK. Let me qualify that answer by saying that this is my first year flying, and all I've flown on a slope is a Weasel (though I'm taking care of that right now). The only places I've flown are at Deer I. (a bunch) and down on the Cape (three times). The Cape is much better, but two hours away. Deer I is closer (1 hour), and well, there's not much else around.

Here's a link to a decent map and description - go to the last page in the .pdf:
http://www.charlesriverrc.org/newsle..._04_HI_res.pdf

You can see that it has two sides - one for SW and the other for N. I've only flown the south side - I've never been able to get there when the north side was working, and I would guess that the lift would be better there.

The south side works best in WSW to W, anywhere else and the hill starts getting pretty small. It's only about 60-70 feet high (maybe), it's not very steep at all (fairly easy to walk up), and there isn't much hill there. What's nice is that it's very forgiving for novices (soft grassy landings/crashes), the wind is very smooth coming from across the harbor, and the views are really nice looking at the city.

The north side has a nice U-shape and would work best in N-NE. The side facing NW has some tress there that could be troublesome. I'm dying to fly here sometime. It's a bit steeper and the shape looks better.

I can't see flying a Thorn on the south side at all, it's just not big enough. I can see maybe on the north side, but I really don't know what a Thorn would need.

Another thing is that there is a walkway that goes around the perimeter and along the top, so people are a concern. Somehow, I've managed to nail the walkway a few times in crashes, too, as narrow as it is.

Heck, when you're in Fall River, you might as well hit the Cape, though Wellfleet is probably still at least 90 minutes away.

Sorry, these are the only pics I could find. There used to be a great pic of a friend's DAW 1-26 somewhere with Boston in the background, but I can't find it.
http://www.charlesriverrc.org/flying...steryslope.htm

Hope this helps.

Murph
Old Jan 07, 2007, 06:36 PM
Dunetop Flyer
Cape Cod, Mass., USA
Joined Dec 2002
764 Posts
Steve,
For another view of Deer Island center on Boston Logan Airport using Google Earth. Deer Island is immediately to the east - the large wastewater treatment facility. Here's a video of some slope soaring there. http://www.rcgroups.com/gallery/show...cat=520&page=1

Jan
jcarstan is offline Find More Posts by jcarstan
Old Jan 07, 2007, 07:11 PM
fun is the goal
USA, NY, Albany
Joined Dec 2003
1,556 Posts
Hey Murph, thanks for the info! Maybe I'll get my lovely new wife Mandy learning out there when the weather is supposed to be warm. Our slopes in western Mass are a bit on the advanced side. I have a new very light (20-24ozs) 2m EPP TD prototype that would do well on that hill.

Andreas
AndreasMergner is offline Find More Posts by AndreasMergner
Old Jan 07, 2007, 09:30 PM
Just chillin @ 403 MPH
Boulder Colorado
Joined Nov 2005
5,171 Posts
Ok rub it in, This is what we get to fly in http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=622686

Nick
Jantar2A is offline Find More Posts by Jantar2A