HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 06, 2007, 12:59 AM
When the time is right
Hayward, CA
Joined Apr 2001
1,637 Posts
Discussion
New to Fans , Santa gave me an F86 !

I should have started this Forum in November , now I'm sitting here with an Alfa F86 , VASA 55 fan and an xf 5100 motor . The problem I have now is weather to mount the motor in the stock Alfa fan or the VASA? I'll have to modify to get the 3mm shaft to fit with either fan and I hesitate to hack the more expensive fan at this time . My thinking at this moment is to go ahead with the Alfa fan in the hope that when the new rotors become available the change out will be a snap. The Vasa fan could be used in something else ( Mig? )with a more suitable motor. I did buy a 3mm Collete prop adapter and it looks like a straight forward approach to mounting the Alfa rotor.

I was also thinking of flaps, has anyone tried yet? There would have to be some sort of center skid to protect them.

Earl
Duke58 is online now Find More Posts by Duke58
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 06, 2007, 02:48 AM
Extreme CNC Alloy EDF
Australia
Joined Mar 2006
11,764 Posts
Stick with the Alfa fan, and dont be too concerned about the new rotor, as its a 5 blade, will have a much higher loading and will most likely require a motor around 35-4200Kv max.

Whats the diameter of the shaft on your 3mm prop adaptor? If its a 5mm shaft then you can use a Tamiya wheel bushing as the bush between the prop adaptor and the Alfa rotor. Just drill out the hole in the Alfa rotor to 6mm so it will centre using the bush. Tamiya bushes are 11mm OD and 5mm ID and fit perfectly to Graupner prop adaptors, 2mm and 2.3mm but not sure on the 3mm. This is how I mount up all Alfa fans I build.

My guess on the new Alfa rotor is it could be a fix for noise problems in Europe where the 3 blade fan is regularly run at 45-55K rpm and is pretty loud in the air. The 5 blader will be running around 32-40K for similar performance.
Extreme_RC is offline Find More Posts by Extreme_RC
Old Jan 06, 2007, 10:42 AM
Norman, OK
Joined Jan 2005
696 Posts
Earl - I just finished up an Alfa F-86 with the XF 5100 motor. It's my first EDF too, and I can't overstate how impressed I am with it. It looks great, flies great and it is FAST!

I ran into the same issue with the motor shaft. I found out that Hobby Lobby has a part #ALF51013 ($6.50 I think it was) which is the Alfa aluminum 3mm fan plug, which is a drop-in replacement for the stock 2mm plug. Note that it is not listed on their website anywhere, you'll have to e-mail them or call to order it. I didn't order it until after I got my plane/motor but I managed to talk them into shipping it for free, you probably can too.

Anyway, it's a straightforward solution and doesn't require any hacking on any parts, which I wanted to avoid.

As for flaps, I don't know that it would be worth the weight penalty. It's a very stable flying plane as it is. The key with these things is to keep it light.
JustinG is offline Find More Posts by JustinG
Old Jan 06, 2007, 06:13 PM
Extreme CNC Alloy EDF
Australia
Joined Mar 2006
11,764 Posts
A prop adaptor like the graupner improves the runout of the rotor during rotation, it is a simple mod, and I doubt all the guys who have set their fans up in this manner would consider it "hacking" of the parts as all thats required is the screw hole in the rotor to be drilled out to suit the new shaft size.

The picture shows the setup but with a 11mm OD, 5mm ID washer, substitute this for a 4mm thick bush the same dimensions and you have a perfect fan setup.

The benefits are an increase in RPM, usually a couple thousand, and a subsequent drop in amps, in my mind its worth the small effort required to set up the rotor properly.

Here is the slowest Alfa, the Hucke: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=611971
Extreme_RC is offline Find More Posts by Extreme_RC
Old Jan 06, 2007, 08:12 PM
When the time is right
Hayward, CA
Joined Apr 2001
1,637 Posts
Yea that's the ticket! thanks for the photo, the Colet adapter is not quite as serviceable . I think I have some of those around but it may be quicker to go to the
HS and pick one up, due to terminal shot clutter

Earl
Duke58 is online now Find More Posts by Duke58
Old Jan 08, 2007, 03:27 PM
Norman, OK
Joined Jan 2005
696 Posts
Earl - I also tried to go the way of the Graupner prop adapter, but couldn't find one for the 3mm shaft of the XF5100. Graupner makes a 2, 2.3, 3.2 mm (etc) adapters, but no 3mm. I thought perhaps it was an oversight on the HL website, but it's not in the print catalog either. Perhaps it's an oversight on both, you might call HL and ask for sure.

http://www.hobby-lobby.com/propadap.htm
JustinG is offline Find More Posts by JustinG