HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale

Multiplex Fun Jet, Park Flyer Foam Airplane Review

Multiplex USA introduces the FunJet, an exciting new park flyer jet-style pusher plane that is easy to launch, easy to land and flies GREAT!

Splash

Introduction

Available From:Multiplex USA
Wingspan:31.5" (1095mm)
Wing Area:557.27 sq in (36.6 sq dm)
Wing type:Multiplex Elapor foam, delta-type
AUW weight:Advertised – 22oz Actual - 21.2oz
Length:28.75" (1150mm)
Wing loading:8.19 oz/sq ft (25 g/sq dm)
Servos:2 – Hitec HS-55's for elevons
Transmitter:Hitec Optic 6
Receiver:Hitec Micro 05
Battery:Thunder Power 3S1P 2100 LiPoly
Motor:Himax 2815-3000 Outrunner
ESC:Jeti SPIN 33 amp
US distributor:Multiplex USA

Whenever I'm asked by a new RC pilot what planes I recommend, a Multiplex plane is always one of them. Simply put, they are all great flyers, and since they're made of Multiplex's exclusive foam material called Elapor, they are very tough and easy to repair! Needless to say I was very excited to get the opportunity to review their newest pusher design, the FunJet!

Kit Contents

The review package arrived from Multiplex USA with no damage. As usual, the parts were neatly packed in the ARF box and were also undamaged. As I unpacked the FunJet, I was amazed how few parts there were. In fact, I looked in the box twice to make sure I wasn't missing something! Not counting hardware, the FunJet airframe is comprised of only ten pieces.

Kit includes:

• One-piece fuselage
  • Two wing panels
  • Large foam canopy
  • Two vertical fins
  • Fuselage turtle deck
  • Two-piece thrust-adjustable motor mount
  • Fiberglass spar
  • Hardware (EZ type connectors, pushrods and horns)
  • Well illustrated assembly guide and instructions

Kit requires:

• Brushless motor
  • Brushless ESC
  • 6x4 APC Thin Electric Propeller
  • 3s LiPoly battery
  • 2 Hitec HS-55 or equivalent servos
  • Receiver
  • 3 channel minimum transmitter with elevon mixing

Included for this review:

• Himax 2815-3000 Outrunner brushless motor
  • Jeti SPIN 33amp Brushless ESC
  • Thunder Power 3s1p 2100 Lipo battery
  • 2 - Hitec HS-55 servos (elevons)
  • 2 - 12" servo extensions for aileron servos
  • Hitec Micro 6 Receiver and crystal

Assembly

As has been my experience with other Multiplex models, the assembly goes very quickly. I've found that their superb injection molding process assures that all parts fit together correctly with minimal, if any, sanding needed. Multiplex’s Elapor foam is designed for use with normal CA glue (assuring a fast build) and resists dings and dents well. Allow 4-5 hours to complete the FunJet including applying the decals.

The instruction manual is printed in several languages and is extremely easy to follow and understand. It comes with two corresponding sections: one written and the other pictorial and Multiplex recommends removing the pictorial section so it can be read alongside the written instructions. I'd consider this a very easy build for anyone with even basic building experience. They do recommend using CA accelerator during construction.

Wing

The fuselage is molded in one piece, and the fuselage and wing panels have pre-molded channels for the servo wires. All parts fit perfectly and were straight and true. I wrapped the HS-55 servos with nylon tape and "roughed it up" with sandpaper, then glued the servos into the premolded openings using 12" servo extensions to reach the receiver. (The nylon tape makes them easy to remove later if needed.) The included pushrod wires and control horn hardware is of Multiplex's usual high quality. Once I cut the elevons free at the wingtip end, the elevons moved freely.

Fuselage

I test-fitted the motor mount and glued it to the fuselage.

(NOTE: The one revision I made here was to use hex bolts instead of the flathead motor mount screws. During the motor installation, I stripped two of the flathead screws and needed a replacement solution and I had these lying around. Since the motor mount screws are going into plastic, they go in tightly all the way, so use caution so that your screwdriver tip doesn't slip.

Another great feature is the thrust gauge on the bottom of the FunJet motor mount (see photo) which allows precise motor thrust adjustment. I highly recommend starting with the "0" setting the manual recommends, then make adjustments from there.

Like other Multiplex models, the fuselage has a unique "flow through design" ventilation system that allows maximum cooling over the motor, battery and ESC.

Power system

Motor - Himax 2815-3000 inrunner

• Motor statistics:
  • Diameter – 28.0mm
  • Length – 38.0mm(1.45")
  • Weight - 86g(3.0oz) Motor only
  • Shaft – 4.0mm(.1575")
  • Peak current – 35A Max 15 seconds
  • KV (rpm/v) - 3000
  • Max Power: 275W

The Himax 2815-3000 motor provides more than enough power for the FunJet. The amp draw at full throttle using the recommended APC 6 X 4 prop is well within the limits of this motor. The Himax brushless inrunners offer plenty of power for their price and are reliable and maintenance-free. They include both the motor and ESC connectors as well as several mounting options.

Amp draws

On the 3s 2100 Thunder Power battery the motor produced the following results:

Motor statistics
APC-e Props Amps Watts Voltage
6x4 31 272 10.44

Speed Control - Jeti 33 AMP ESC

• Size – 1 5/8" x 15/16" x 1/4",
  • Weight 30 grams (1 oz.)
  • Battery recommendations 5-14 NiMH/NiCd, 2-5 Li-Poly, 5-21V, 5.5V BEC w/max. current 3A, up to 7 servos

The Jeti SPIN 33 and SPIN Box provided by Hobby Lobby: I was thoroughly impressed with the new Jeti SPIN's performance and features. One logging function feature lets you check and fine-tune the setup of your airplane or helicopter. Readings for peak controller temperature, maximum current, minimum current, RPM, motor run time, and many other parameters are recorded and can be viewed right on the SPIN BOX after a flight, allowing you to make adjustments immediately and fly again to see the results. The Jeti SPIN Box allows complete programming control and shows recorded flight data. It's a self-contained unit with digital readout that allows you to fine tune the controller setup for your aircraft. No computer is used. All input and data retrieval is immediate and can be read directly from the "SPIN BOX"!

Battery - Thunder Power 3S 2100 Prolite pack

• Cells - 3s
  • Capacity - 2100 mAh total
  • Weight – 4.7oz
  • Size – 4 x 1-1/4 x 3/4"

Thunder Power 3S1P 2100 Prolite Lipo pack provided by Hobby Lobby: I have used Thunder Power batteries for some time now and have had great success with them. They are the lightest packs for their size and amp draw capability that I've found. I flew the FunJet at half to three-quarter throttle most of the time, and the Thunder Power 3S1P 2100 was barely warm upon landing.

Pre-Flight

Weight

Even with an AUW of 21.2oz, the FunJet's light wing loading allows it to fly very well at slower speeds compared to similar pusher-type aircraft its size.

CG

The CG is easily checked thanks to two "buttons" that are molded into the underside of the wing. I was able to attain this easily by moving the battery slight fore or aft, and no additional nose weight was needed!

Rates and transmitter setup

Rates were set as recommended in the manual with the elevons at 12mm up/10mm down for elevator travel and set the aileron travels to 10mm up/13 mm down (negative differential). NOTE: The neutral position for the first flight should be approximately 2 mm “up”.

Flight

Normally I try to pick a calm day for the maiden flight, but despite the 10+ mph winds, I couoldn’t wait to fly the FunJet. So against my better judgment, I headed to the local park with a couple of flying buddies.

Takeoff/Landing

I asked a friend to give me a hand launch (highly recommended on the first flight), and from the second the FunJet was airborne, I knew it was a great flier. At 3/4 throttle, it climbed out nicely at a shallow angle and after a couple of clicks of left trim, it tracked straight as an arrow. It is very solid in the air and it grooves extremely well. To my surprise it slows down very nicely; never at any time did it feel out of control! The FunJet was well-powered with the recommended Himax 2815-3000 inrunner and the APC 6 x 4 propeller seems to be the ideal choice for it. Once I applied full power, the FunJet picked up speed very quickly. As I entered a high speed turn, I was amazed at how well it tracks - as if on rails! This is easily the fastest aircraft I've flown and was VERY exciting to fly!

Since it is so fast, you would expect the FunJet to have some pretty “hot” landings. On the contrary, it can slow down and land at a very moderate speed thanks to its light wing loading and thick wing. Most wings and pusher-type aircraft I've flown need a considerable amount of runway, but the FunJet was a piece of cake to land... especially with a little "flaring" before touchdown. (see video)

Aerobatics/Special Flight Performance

Stalls

The FunJet has a very mushy stall, with only a slight drop of the nose. It recovers quickly when full power is applied, and never feels as if it might snap.

Loop

Beautifully executed loops can be made as small or as big as you want, with no hint of a snap.

Rolls

I decided to keep my throws modest for the first few flights (which turned out to be a good thing); after adjusting the end points in the radio I was very surprised at how fast the FunJet could roll, perhaps 2-3 rolls a second! (I would suggest setting the throws at a mild level at first, either mechanically at the servos/control horns or in your radio via low rates until you get used to the FunJet.)

A few days after completing my review, a friend asked if he could give the FunJet a custom paint job for me. My friend Doug is a master 54mm figure painter so needless to say, I eagerly said YES!! Here are some in-flight pictures of the painted FunJet to show how great it can look painted. Whether you use the beautiful factory decals or give it a one-of-a-kind paint job, the FunJet is a beauty in the air!

Is this plane for a beginner?

While not a beginner's plane given its speed envelope, I would say the FunJet is an excellent choice for someone with aileron experience who is looking for a faster flying plane. The FunJet's stable flight manners, tough Elapor construction, wide speed envelope and stable landing characteristics make it an excellent choice for pilots who want to get their adrenaline going!

Flight video/Photo Gallery

Flight Video

Downloads

Conclusion

The Multiplex FunJet is an attention-grabber at my club field. It assembles very quickly and it requires a minimum amount of set up time. The speed and performance are spectacular, and its rock-solid feel and wide speed envelope make me grin every time I fly it!

Plusses:

• Great looks
  • Stable low and high-speed performance
  • Extremely fast assembly
  • Tough Elapor construction
  • Excellent instruction guide
  • Complete hardware kit

Minuses:

• Motor mounting screws could be a little stronger

The Multiplex FunJet is a great value and the recommended power system for it is a terrific performer. It looks very futuristic in the air, is a blast to fly and has a "cool factor" of 10! Multiplex has scored another A+ with the FunJet! Check out the FunJet at your local hobby shop or at Multiplex USA.

Last edited by dawnron1; Mar 29, 2007 at 09:00 PM..

Discussion

Old Apr 24, 2007, 03:03 PM
United States, CA, Monterey
Joined Feb 2006
1,358 Posts
great review!
mecevans is offline Find More Posts by mecevans
Old Apr 24, 2007, 04:51 PM
Bewdley, Worcestershire, England.
Joined May 2004
89 Posts
Good review, I agree with every word. I bought mine last September, it's been flown nearly every time I've been out since then. Says it all really.
Old Geezer is offline Find More Posts by Old Geezer
Old Apr 24, 2007, 05:17 PM
"Have Glue - Will Travel"
Ft. Worth, Texas
Joined Jan 2004
2,428 Posts
Thanks guys!

Ronnie
dawnron1 is offline Find More Posts by dawnron1
Old Apr 24, 2007, 05:19 PM
Joined Aug 2003
500 Posts
Good info here - thanks! However, I just maidened one of these for a beginner pilot at my field and it flew HORRIBLY. It was giving all the characteristics of being super tail heavy - pitching up, uncontrollable, ect.. We couldn't figure it out. We balanced it and with out fingures on the molded points on the wing, the nose hung down just slightly. He had a lipo battery in there pushed up against the spectrum rx. The control surfaces were behaving correctly on the ground - just couldn't figure it out??
Dave
Fundy is offline Find More Posts by Fundy
Old Apr 24, 2007, 05:24 PM
Ft. Worth, Texas
Joined Jan 2004
2,428 Posts
Hi Dave,

Was there any up-deflection in the elevons to start with? Lately mine seems to like the elevons to be centered. Also, how much elevator throw did you have and was there any exponential in the radio? Sounds like you balanced it correctly...

Ronnie
Old Apr 24, 2007, 05:34 PM
Gone Flying.
Western NY
Joined Nov 2006
2,401 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fundy
Good info here - thanks! However, I just maidened one of these for a beginner pilot at my field and it flew HORRIBLY. It was giving all the characteristics of being super tail heavy - pitching up, uncontrollable, ect.. We couldn't figure it out. We balanced it and with out fingures on the molded points on the wing, the nose hung down just slightly. He had a lipo battery in there pushed up against the spectrum rx. The control surfaces were behaving correctly on the ground - just couldn't figure it out??
Dave
Dave -

Just have him move the battery 1-2" forward, that should take care of the issues. My FJ was also a bit tail heavy, even when balanced as per Multiplex's recommendations. I know the classic signs of a plane being tail heavy are sensitive elevons -- even the slightest movement will cause the FJ to change direction sharply. However, my FJ still flew quite well even when it was slightly tail heavy.
ChrisWNY is offline Find More Posts by ChrisWNY
Old Apr 24, 2007, 07:17 PM
Look out! The lever!
United States, AZ, Peoria
Joined Feb 2005
2,619 Posts
Did anyone check the motor thrust angle? Mine balances perfectly on the "dots" and flys great but didn't until I played with the motor angle a bit.

...bob
bobthenuke is offline Find More Posts by bobthenuke
Old Apr 24, 2007, 07:41 PM
Tree Fodder
Mount Holly Burlington, New Jersey, United States
Joined Sep 2004
986 Posts
Glad I read Dawron's warning on the screw issue. Ran mine in and out of the mount a few times with a power driver before installation to tap them out a bit. MAN did they get hot! Really tight. Have no replacements at hand, though.

Just finished the last coat of paint on mine. A little detail work, and we'll shoot for a maiden this weekend. MultiPlex is spoiling me. It's almost embarassing how quickly the FunJet falls together. That's why I felt I just HAD to paint it, to feel like I had actually put some time in... sort of 'earn' my right to fly it.

-MB
MumblinBerk is offline Find More Posts by MumblinBerk
Old Apr 24, 2007, 07:53 PM
Ft. Worth, Texas
Joined Jan 2004
2,428 Posts
rcnewb and bob,

Thanks for the help! MB, I ran into the issue with the screws on the Acro Master also, and finally just used hex head bolts. That's the only 'issue' I could find with the kit! BTW, I actually flew the FunJet last Saturday in steady 20-25 mph winds at a funfly, and it is still steady as a rock as long as you keep the speed up.

Ronnie
Last edited by dawnron1; Apr 24, 2007 at 08:08 PM.
Old Apr 25, 2007, 09:25 AM
Stockton, Ca. USA
Joined Apr 2001
9,538 Posts
Another nice job Ronnie!
I enjoyed the review and the pictures. Have seen the plane fly in person here in California and it flies great! Just avoid letting the prop catch the ground on landing. Custom paint job looks terrific Mike
Michael Heer is offline Find More Posts by Michael Heer
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 25, 2007, 11:10 AM
Ft. Worth, Texas
Joined Jan 2004
2,428 Posts
Thanks Mike!!
Old Apr 25, 2007, 11:11 AM
Tree Fodder
Mount Holly Burlington, New Jersey, United States
Joined Sep 2004
986 Posts
Speaking of custom paint jobs....

Krylon Fusion (yellow), Testor's model paint (Red and Blue), and Krylon Crystal Clear on top coat on canopy. (don't do that. Elapor doesn't like it.)

-MB
MumblinBerk is offline Find More Posts by MumblinBerk
Old Apr 25, 2007, 11:55 AM
Ft. Worth, Texas
Joined Jan 2004
2,428 Posts
MB,

Very nice paint job! It reminds me a little bit of my buddy's Gibson Les Paul Heritage Series guitar with the 'Sunburst' finish

Ronnie
Old Apr 25, 2007, 12:18 PM
Motor Maniac
Orange County, CA
Joined Feb 2002
2,875 Posts
Just a comment about the power figures. 31 amps at 10.44 volts works out to 323 watts. You list 272 watts. I assume this is a figure taken from the Spin ESC, not from a Wattmeter connected to the battery. You might want to clarify this.
10Thumbs is offline Find More Posts by 10Thumbs