HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 03, 2001, 09:41 AM
Balsa Flies Better!
Stamford, CT
Joined Oct 2000
6,734 Posts
Rare Earth Magnets near Brushless Motors/Controllers

I'm in the process of finishing off my Fierce Arrow with a Jeti 15/4 brushless motor in it. I want to use 2 pairs of rare earth magnets to hold the nose hatch on, but in order to do so, the magnets are going to be within half an inch to an inch of the motor/and or controller. These magnets have a pretty strong field, and I was wondering if they could damage or interfere with the electronics of either the speed control or the motor. Anybody tried it or know definitively?

Sam Brauer
Norwalk, CT
Megowcoupe is offline Find More Posts by Megowcoupe
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 06, 2001, 09:27 AM
Balsa Flies Better!
Stamford, CT
Joined Oct 2000
6,734 Posts
Hmm, resounding thud.

Anyhow, I asked Pat Castillo this question and his response was that a magnet will not effect a speed controller, but if you place the magnet on the motor, you're hurting efficiency. His comment- about a half inch away and no problems.

Sam
Old Aug 06, 2001, 10:16 AM
ὅπερ ἔδει δεῖξαι
Joined May 2000
3,335 Posts
Since you have the Jeti motor the worst effect would be as you suggested, that the motor efficiency could be affected. If it were a brushless motor with Hall sensors such as Aveox or Maxcim then the magnets could interfere with the proper operation of those. You should also try to keep the magnets away from your receiver. There are inductors in the receiver which could be de-tuned by the magnets.

[This message has been edited by Gerald (edited 08-06-2001).]
Gerald is offline Find More Posts by Gerald
Old Aug 06, 2001, 10:55 AM
Balsa Flies Better!
Stamford, CT
Joined Oct 2000
6,734 Posts
Arghh

OK, that does it- I'm just going to tape the hatch on every flight....

Thanks,

Sam