HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 05, 2007, 05:57 AM
Proud member of LISF and ESL
LI, New York, USA
Joined Mar 2003
24,516 Posts
Discussion
Looking for flying site in Philadelphia area

I live on Long Island. My wife wants me to drive her to Philadelphia for a business meeting. I believe it is January 20 or 21.

I don't have to attend the meeting so, if the weather is good, I can head off to a flying site for a few hours. With this warm winter, so far, anything is possible.

Have AMA card, thermal gliders, slope gliders, electric glider and parkflyers and a hi-start if needed. Cold weather flying works for me! Gotta fly!

Can anyone provide refuge for a pilot on the run?

Ed Anderson
VP, Long Island Silent Flyers
aeajr is offline Find More Posts by aeajr
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 05, 2007, 07:24 AM
Williamsburg, VA
Joined Apr 2004
234 Posts
Valley Forge Signal Seekers

Ed;

Been many years since I flew with them as a guest while visiting my father just outside of Philly, but if you feel up to a 20 or so mile drive, the Valley Forge Signal Seekers have an arrangement with the Natl. Park Service that lets them fly in a remote corner of Valley Forge Park.

See their web site: http://www.netaxs.com/mhmyers/vfss.html for additional information.

r/
Dave
D_Ryan is offline Find More Posts by D_Ryan
Old Jan 05, 2007, 07:36 AM
Go Navy!
USA, PA, Media
Joined Apr 2005
906 Posts
Hi Ed,
It will save you just a few miles from valley forge, but in media, pa there is a good club: http://www.propstoppers.org/ I am not a member but live near there. Might be worth checking out. There isnt much in center city (lived there for a few years). I just fly the little park fliers, all you need is a small field for that.
Rick
maverick06 is offline Find More Posts by maverick06
Old Jan 05, 2007, 08:04 AM
Uniblab
Cherry Hill, NJ
Joined Oct 2004
877 Posts
South Jersey Silent Flyers is 20 minutes from center city. We specialize in sailplanes and electrics. www.sjsf.org
rwmson is offline Find More Posts by rwmson
Old Jan 05, 2007, 09:13 AM
LI, New York, USA
Joined Mar 2003
24,516 Posts
D_Ryan and Maverick06, thanks for the info. I will keep them in mind as my wife sometimes does a show in Valley Forge PA too.

Rwmson,

Your club field would be a wonderful fit for location, and the character of your club is almost identical to ours. Weather permitting, and for me that means anything but rain or falling snow, I would love to visit your club site and fly with the guys ( gals?).

Do you have any staunch winter flyers?

Who do I contact to clear flying as a guest at your field.

And, of course, I don't want to show up to a locked field because no one is flying that day so I would need to be in contact with someone who can tell me whether anyone will be there.

If there will be a winch there, I can bring my sailplanes. It is likely to be too cold for a hi-start. Otherwise, I can bring my Easy Glider Electric and some of my parkflyers. I only have room for about 4 planes so I need to plan in advance.

A burdensome trip my turn out to be a fun day for me and an my wife.
Old Jan 05, 2007, 11:55 AM
Williamsburg, VA
Joined Apr 2004
234 Posts
Sneak-preview

Ed;

Perhaps you can justify the trip to the SJSF field as a "reconnaissance mission". Take a look at the ESL 2007 calendar, and you'll see that they are hosting both an Unlimited event (tentative), and a HLG contest this year.

r/
Dave
D_Ryan is offline Find More Posts by D_Ryan
Old Jan 05, 2007, 12:30 PM
LI, New York, USA
Joined Mar 2003
24,516 Posts
Oh, I did not realize that was you. Cool as I fly the ESL events.

This will be great! Only away event I have done was Daniel Boone. This would be closer. Excellent!

If we can fly on the 20th, nothing to justify. Wife wants me to drive to Philadelphia. If I can get in some flying, that would be great AND give me a look at the site for the ESL events. ;-)

Wife is originally from Bridgeton, NJ.

This is working out very nicely!
Old Jan 05, 2007, 06:18 PM
Millville, N.J. U.S.A.
Joined Sep 2001
175 Posts
Wow!! your wife is from Bridgeton? I'm in Millville (right next door) Small world. I fly at the SJSF field also and competed in the thermal funfly and HLG comp last year. Just was there last week. The weather gods have been kind. I'll watch this post and if you end up visitng, I will try to come up that day also. I've seen your name here quite a bit. The field is a green acres site and while not huge it fits the purposes well. Great bunch of guys. Sent my membership in early December.
dwoel is offline Find More Posts by dwoel
Old Jan 05, 2007, 10:24 PM
LI, New York, USA
Joined Mar 2003
24,516 Posts
Wow, sounds like we could have a great day of flying if the weather will just cooperate.

So, I right now I think I would bring my Thermal Dancer 3M, my Easy Glider electric 2M, my Aerobird ( always in the car ) and maybe my Carbon Kestral ( slow fly ). I think that will be all I can bring.

That should have me covered! ;-)

Do you guys do any slope soaring?
Old Jan 06, 2007, 07:46 AM
Uniblab
Cherry Hill, NJ
Joined Oct 2004
877 Posts
what's a slope?
rwmson is offline Find More Posts by rwmson
Old Jan 06, 2007, 09:38 AM
LI, New York, USA
Joined Mar 2003
24,516 Posts
Slope? that's 10 tractor/trailers parked along the NJTPK with the wind blowing at their side. ;-) ( would probably work)

It is a large warehouse with one wall facing the prevailing wind. ;-) (Will definately work)

Slope could be one shore of a lake that is steeply inclined. 10 feet is enough.

You guys don't slope soar? Oh man, I am going to have to try and spot some slope sites on the trip.

Here are some of the slope sites we fly. These are along the North Shore of Long Island. Not an offical club activity but we have a great time.
Old Jan 09, 2007, 04:53 PM
United States, NJ, Monroe Township
Joined Aug 2006
7,093 Posts
Is anybody on here a member of the Valley Forge Signal Seekers flying club? I was just there the other day watching some people fly there and I have to say that there was some very talented flyers there! I think it was on Sunday. Yea, now that I am thinking about it, it was on Sunday

Bill
BD Flyer is offline Find More Posts by BD Flyer
Old Jan 09, 2007, 10:52 PM
Lindenwold, NJ, USA
Joined Dec 2000
3,183 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Megatech Man
Is anybody on here a member of the Valley Forge Signal Seekers flying club? I was just there the other day watching some people fly there and I have to say that there was some very talented flyers there! I think it was on Sunday. Yea, now that I am thinking about it, it was on Sunday

Bill
If things haven't changed in the last couple of years, the Valley Forge Signal Seekers only allow gliders during certain hours.
John Gallagher is offline Find More Posts by John Gallagher
Old Jan 09, 2007, 11:03 PM
United States, NJ, Monroe Township
Joined Aug 2006
7,093 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Gallagher
If things haven't changed in the last couple of years, the Valley Forge Signal Seekers only allow gliders during certain hours.

Oh, well there wasn't any gliders there. There was three gas planes and 2 electric planes. There was also more, but I didn't stay that long to see them all fly. BTW, Atco is very close to me.

Bill
BD Flyer is offline Find More Posts by BD Flyer
Old Jan 13, 2007, 12:24 PM
LI, New York, USA
Joined Mar 2003
24,516 Posts
Guys, my trip has been postponed. I will not be dropping in next weekend.

February 18 is now the target. Most likely the weather will be bad, but I will be back in touch, just in case we can make it work.

Thanks for the generous offers and hospitality. I hope we can make it work next month.

Clear skies and safe flying!

Ed Anderson
LISF