Old Sep 17, 2002, 09:37 PM
ARFs make me BARF
United States, MI, Roseville
Joined Dec 2000
8,873 Posts
America....love it or leave.

I was emailed this,thought others might like it:

"AMERICA" Love it or leave it!!!!

After hearing that the state of Florida changed its opinion and let a Muslim woman have her picture on her driver's license with her face covered, I believe this is even more appropriate._ Read on, please!
This is an editorial written by an American citizen, published in a
Tampa newspaper._ He did quite a job; didn't he?

IMMIGRANTS, NOT AMERICANS, MUST ADAPT._ I am tired of this nation worrying about whether we are offending some individual or their culture._ Since the terrorist attacks on Sept. 11, we have experienced a surge in patriotism by the majority of Americans._ However, the dust from the attacks had barely settled when the "politically correct" crowd began complaining about the possibility that our patriotism was offending others. I am not against immigration, nor do I hold a grudge against anyone who is seeking a better life by coming to America._ Our population is almost entirely comprised of descendants of immigrants._ However, there are a few things that those who have recently come to our country, and apparently some born here, need to understand._ This idea of America being a multi-cultural community has served only to dilute our sovereignty and our national identity._ As Americans, we have our own culture, our own society, our own language and our own lifestyle._ This culture has been developed over centuries of struggles, trials, and victories by millions of men and women who have sought freedom.
We speak ENGLISH, not Spanish, Arabic, Chinese, Japanese, Russian, or any other language._ Therefore, if you wish to become part of our society, learn the language!_
"In God We Trust" is our national motto._ This is not some Christian, right wing, political slogan._ We adopted this motto because Christian men and women, on Christian principles, founded this nation, and this is clearly documented._ It is certainly appropriate to display it on the walls of our schools._ If God offends you, then I suggest you consider another part of the world as your new home, because God is part of our culture.
If Stars and Stripes offend you, or you don't like Uncle Sam, then you should seriously consider a move to another part of this planet._ We are happy with our culture and have no desire to change, and we really don't care how you did things where you came from._ This is OUR COUNTRY, our land, and our lifestyle._ Our First Amendment gives every citizen the right to express his opinion and we will allow you every opportunity to do so._ But once you are done complaining, whining, and griping about our flag, our pledge, our national motto, or our way of life, I highly encourage you to take advantage of one other great American freedom, THE RIGHT TO LEAVE.
If you agree -- pass this along; if you don't agree -- I don't want to hear about it.
AMEN
mrittinger is offline Find More Posts by mrittinger
Old Sep 17, 2002, 10:01 PM
Wilkes-Barre/Scranton, Pennsylvania, United States
Joined Nov 2000
6,281 Posts
I must agree. If someone wants to live here they ought to accept our way of life rather than try to impose theirs on us.

The reverse is also true. If you choose to live somewhere else you must adapt as well.

Whats fair is fair to all.
BillM is offline Find More Posts by BillM
Old Sep 17, 2002, 10:18 PM
Suspended Account
land of permaban
Joined Jul 2001
181 Posts
I dont know what nationality you are intending for your straw man argument. The recent past is not patriotism but jingoism. Dissent and debate IS what makes this country great. ALL forward progress is due to this stubborn lot. Empty flag waving is less than worthless as it encourages complacency. Our multicultural national face is our strength.
Our forefathers were both religious and hedonist. Ben franklin and many others were at least agnostic. We dont need Politicians and other heathens defining God for us. All references to creator are generic so that human rights are not beholden to any mortal as then they could be withdrawn. This is lost on the present admin as they seem to think that human rights are just for american citizens. We are losing our humanity as we embrace this hard line knee jerk america right or wrong. There are myriad reasons to question our system as evidenced by recent business frauds and general coursening of life and lack of forward momentum in standard of living but for the rich.
Gman2 is offline Find More Posts by Gman2
Old Sep 17, 2002, 10:38 PM
Purple power
shadow hills,ca
Joined Apr 2000
6,592 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Gman2
I dont know what nationality you are intending for your straw man argument. The recent past is not patriotism but jingoism. Dissent and debate IS what makes this country great. ALL forward progress is due to this stubborn lot. Empty flag waving is less than worthless as it encourages complacency. Our multicultural national face is our strength.
Our forefathers were both religious and hedonist. Ben franklin and many others were at least agnostic. We dont need Politicians and other heathens defining God for us. All references to creator are generic so that human rights are not beholden to any mortal as then they could be withdrawn. This is lost on the present admin as they seem to think that human rights are just for american citizens. We are losing our humanity as we embrace this hard line knee jerk america right or wrong. There are myriad reasons to question our system as evidenced by recent business frauds and general coursening of life and lack of forward momentum in standard of living but for the rich.

and what exactly is your definition of patriotism?
gregg f is offline Find More Posts by gregg f
Old Sep 17, 2002, 11:06 PM
Joined Apr 2000
940 Posts
i feel the same way. i admit that i would not die for my country, but i wouldn't live anywhere else. frankly, about the god thingy...i hate it, but that's just me. it's not like i'm gonna make a big fuss or anything... As i like to say, "you live in our country, you play by our rules."
petn7 is offline Find More Posts by petn7
Old Sep 18, 2002, 12:01 AM
Keremeos, BC, Canada
Joined Dec 1996
632 Posts
Then...

... what if you are Canadian, happy to be Canadian, with Canadian standards and ethics, only to find that the HMO, NRA, AMA, and a dozen other lobbies are in the Canadian Capitol doing their damndest to have us convert to the American System? Worse, to find out that their motivation is pure profit, not the betterment of Canadians? America- Love It Or Leave It is fine for Americans, but why is it considered an exportable commodity?
Terry Lyttle is offline Find More Posts by Terry Lyttle
Old Sep 18, 2002, 12:11 AM
Purple power
shadow hills,ca
Joined Apr 2000
6,592 Posts
Re: Then...

Quote:
Originally posted by Terry Lyttle
... what if you are Canadian, happy to be Canadian, with Canadian standards and ethics, only to find that the HMO, NRA, AMA, and a dozen other lobbies are in the Canadian Capitol doing their damndest to have us convert to the American System? Worse, to find out that their motivation is pure profit, not the betterment of Canadians? America- Love It Or Leave It is fine for Americans, but why is it considered an exportable commodity?
it shouldn't be.........
gregg f is offline Find More Posts by gregg f
Old Sep 18, 2002, 01:52 AM
Joined May 2000
754 Posts
"Love it or leave it"

I think I first heard or rather saw that statement during the Vietnam War as a bumper sticker.
At that time the saying represented the attitude of those people who saw the War in terms of only black and white and rather extreme ones..like "drop the bomb" was sometimes posted next to the"Love it or leave it"sticker.
Time showed that , in terms of the War, some views changed, and on both sides of the issue. The war may have been wrong, but so were those who supported the Communists. I could go on, but the point is...extreme points of view, and Love it or leave , is extreme, is not what this country is about.
Should Martin King have left because he brought blacks together and did not accept the status quo in the south? There are many historical examples of struggles by a few againt the many, or against the uninformed and ignorant, and the freedom to do so is one of the great things about America. Just as it is freedom of speech that makes it possible for those that wish to say"love it or leave it".

Do those that question what goes on in their neighborhoods, towns and states, issues that range from water pollution to corporate crime ,...to misuse of tax money... just.....leave? Because they don't like what they see??
Is that what America is to you?

If your answer to those that choose to question those values, ideas or symbols that you do not question, and you say to them"Leave this country"?

Perhaps, in this case, Patrioism is being exchanged for Fascism.
partoftheproblm is offline Find More Posts by partoftheproblm
Old Sep 18, 2002, 06:38 AM
ARFs make me BARF
United States, MI, Roseville
Joined Dec 2000
8,873 Posts
Gman,
"GOD" was not defined by the government..... until people said they were offended by his name being mentioned in government literature.As far as I know, he STILL isn't really "Defined" in any sense.

I think the point the writer was making is simply that we are becoming too concerned with what a few people think (like that yo-yo that sued over the Pledge...)about our country and not enough about what we can do for the greatest portion of our country, the majority(that USED to rule),which is American Citizens.

I WOULD die for this country, and have laid my own A*& on the line before.It's people that would that have made this country what it is.IF your not willing to sacrifice to survive,and not willing to adapt to OUR way of life, then get the hell out. We DO speak English.Learn it. We DO have laws.Obey them.It's quite simple really.......

I appreciate cultural diversity, but please don't tell me my kids have to learn spanish to go to a public school or that I have to learn to speak Pakistani to get a pack of smokes.......
mrittinger is offline Find More Posts by mrittinger
Old Sep 18, 2002, 06:55 AM
God is good
Banjul
Joined Jan 2001
4,246 Posts
I think that this statement really sums it up. Very similar (But much less politically correct) to Mark's post.

Statement by Ted Nugent

VP
Viper Pilot is offline Find More Posts by Viper Pilot
Old Sep 18, 2002, 07:27 AM
Suspended Account
land of permaban
Joined Jul 2001
181 Posts
"GOD" was not defined by the government..... until people said they were offended by his name being mentioned in government literature.As far as I know, he STILL isn't really "Defined" in any sense.

The religious right is fighting hard to narrowly define him as we breath. As I stated, he is mentioned in the constitution as a literary device. I am a christian and would be glad to never hear his name from a corrupt politician as long as I live. Including jerry falwell or pat robertson. They too believe in love it or leave it.

It's people that would that have made this country what it is

I too would die for this country, I would die protecting a minority class from the fascist majority. I would die to protect our constitutional rights. I would not die protecting our national interest[ expected commodity]. I would not die protecting our right to cheap labor. I would not die to make sure we are the only ones with access to a good life. Much of what you refer to as dying for this country is at odds with the teachings of christ, amongst others. I would not want to face my maker with blood lust in my heart just because some politician said kill them all.

and not willing to adapt to OUR way of life

Whose, there are deep divides in this country, the rich, the south, urban, rural, cosmopolitan, poor, amish, native american. I suggest you define OUR.

but please don't tell me my kids have to learn spanish

A great deal of the backwardness of the US can be remedied by requiring kids to learn some foreign language so they can have a perspective other than total homogeneity.

Finally, I would like to say that I would be happy to export much of our love for democracy. Most of the world would welcome that. What we offer however, is not.
Old Sep 18, 2002, 08:06 AM
God is good
Banjul
Joined Jan 2001
4,246 Posts
Gman,

Some may not really like it (including yourself) but this country is based on WASP ideologies and concepts. That is why "the majority" of our people speak English, go to Protestant churches, and are white. The immigrants have no choice of skin color, so our predominant ideologies are ASP in nature.

VP
Viper Pilot is offline Find More Posts by Viper Pilot
Old Sep 18, 2002, 08:12 AM
Libertas in Infinitum
Houston Ellington, Texas, United States
Joined Feb 2001
312 Posts
When my mother's familly came here from Vietnam, they all took classes to learn english. All of their children, my cousins, went to school and were put in classes that spoke only english, no bi-lingual education.... Doctors, Lawyers, Engineers, Journalists, Economists .... I think we did pretty well for ourselves. Never once did we complain that street signs, legal documents and menus weren't written in Vietnamese.

We didn't give up our culture, but we also understood that assimulation was the surest way to succeed in the United States. We may have come from Vietnam, but we were all now Americans.

Logan5
logan5 is offline Find More Posts by logan5
Old Sep 18, 2002, 08:36 AM
Mr Mootsie
Pepperell, MA, USA
Joined Jan 2001
2,565 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by logan5
When my mother's familly came here from Vietnam, they all took classes to learn english. All of their children, my cousins, went to school and were put in classes that spoke only english, no bi-lingual education.... Doctors, Lawyers, Engineers, Journalists, Economists .... I think we did pretty well for ourselves. Never once did we complain that street signs, legal documents and menus weren't written in Vietnamese.

We didn't give up our culture, but we also understood that assimulation was the surest way to succeed in the United States. We may have come from Vietnam, but we were all now Americans.

Logan5
that is exactly the point. Why is it that this is lost on many people? The Asians have busted their ass assimilating into this country.

This is the United States. We speak English. Questions?
Tim Jonas is offline Find More Posts by Tim Jonas
Old Sep 18, 2002, 08:49 AM
Suspended Account
land of permaban
Joined Jul 2001
181 Posts
I have nothing against wasp's I am one.