SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jan 04, 2007, 08:47 AM
Indiana
Joined Nov 2005
215 Posts
Discussion
Goldberg ARF Pitts P-12 (model 12)

Okay y'all; I got started this morning... Not wanting to order (more correctly being too impatient) I hunted around on the internet till I found a panel that I was satisfied with, ... did a little PhotoStudio magic on it and printed it on photo paper, laminated it with clear lamination material and called it good... My wife will make the backrests and I'll figure out something simple to give the rest of the cockpit floor some detail... It doesn't show much through that tinted canopy anyhow... but will look fine... I know they are not technically accurate, but nobody is going to know anyhow... Least wise not in my club...
One thing I didn't like, and that kind of surprised me was that on the top wing ailerons, one was fully 1/8th inch longer than the other... The openings in the wing were exact, but I was really taken aback by the difference in the two ailerons... Other than that, I have NEVER been so impressed with the quality of a kit of any sort... be it plane, boat or what ever...
IronKnees is offline Find More Posts by IronKnees
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 04, 2007, 02:33 PM
Salem, Or.
Joined Jul 2006
135 Posts
Of all the large scale arf's I have put together, I thought the Goldberg Pitts, and the Extra were the two worst I have ever done. Lanier is a close 2nd.
mtwister is offline Find More Posts by mtwister
Old Jan 04, 2007, 08:08 PM
Indiana
Joined Nov 2005
215 Posts
Really? Well, since I have absolutely no experience with ARF aircraft (I do have lots with pre-built R/C boats) I can only go by the comparison of my mediocre building abilities as apposed to what I have seen with the Goldberg Pitts...
Old Jan 05, 2007, 10:19 AM
Salem, Or.
Joined Jul 2006
135 Posts
I will have to say it's a fantastic flier though.
Old Jan 05, 2007, 09:35 PM
Indiana
Joined Nov 2005
215 Posts
The build continues...
Old Jan 06, 2007, 06:49 AM
Indiana
Joined Nov 2005
215 Posts
MTWISTER, got a question for you... In every picture I've seen of this model, NONE show any air outlet opening anywhere in the cowl... It's going to absolutely kill me to cut anything except the hole for the exhaust, but surely there has got to be an escape route for incoming air... How did you do yours?
One idea I did have was to enlarge the hole for the exhaust tube, and I have the material available to actually make two exhaust outlets, one being a dummy... I was thinking about enlarging or elongating those holes to provide an exit for the incoming air... any thoughts???
Old Jan 06, 2007, 10:49 AM
Grumpa Tom
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Sep 2003
23,119 Posts
IronKnees: Your cockpit photo detailing is superb! Well done!

I did a similar treatment to my Rascal Forty, and it really spruces up an otherwise spartan interior.
Kmot is offline Find More Posts by Kmot
Old Jan 06, 2007, 11:43 AM
Indiana
Joined Nov 2005
215 Posts
Thanks a bunch Kmot! I just looked around on the Internet, mostly at full scale Pitts and similar planes, and found pictures that would work. Printed them out on photo paper, laminated them, and put them in... I used a little bit of foam rubber to form a seat bottom and back in each cockpit, and about the only other thing I'm going to add is a stick for a bit more depth... The canopy is so dark that all this just gives a detail look and really can't be seen all that well... Still, it's way better than nothing at all, which to me REALLY stands out and looks so unfinished... I appreciate the note..

In years long gone, I instructed in the Sterman, Waco UPF-7, and several home-builts and know full well that the detail is WAY OFF of true, but it fits my purpose just ducky!
Old Jan 06, 2007, 12:18 PM
Indiana
Joined Nov 2005
215 Posts
Another quick question... I want to put my name below the cockpit as you often see, but I have no clue how to do that... As some of you may know, I have some cervical spinal cord damage, and trying to hand detail (paint) it myself is out of the question... I shake and my hands and arms head off on their own, making that impossible... I've tried printing something out, but that doesn't work, or either I don't know how... Any suggestions would be appreciated... Dave
Old Jan 06, 2007, 12:36 PM
Gotta make the doughnuts
Toledo Express, Ohio, United States
Joined Oct 2004
631 Posts
Not sure if this would work or not, but I've done this with circuit boards. Using a laser printer I've printed something and then used an iron to transfer the ink powder from the plastic (have to use transparencies) to the board. I wonder if you could try doing that, but you'd have to test it first and make sure it doesn't shrink the monocote.

Also, you'll want to get into the printer setup on your computer and turn off the auto-features and manually increase the tone/darkness to it's maximum.

At least it's an idea, whether it works or not is in the air.
Rhathid is offline Find More Posts by Rhathid
Old Jan 06, 2007, 03:31 PM
Indiana
Joined Nov 2005
215 Posts
Thanks Rhathid... I'll give that a try... I wish white and yellow were easier to paint with a brush and get to look right... My wife thinks maybe she could detail them on, but I know from past experience that those two colors are a real pain for some reason... Oh well, we will "Git er' done"...
Old Jan 06, 2007, 04:55 PM
Indiana
Joined Nov 2005
215 Posts
Here is a bit of a photo opp... Actually, I was "rescuing" the plane from the grand kids and locking it in a safe room for the evening...
Old Jan 08, 2007, 10:33 AM
Salem, Or.
Joined Jul 2006
135 Posts
I had to cut an oblong hole in the bottom of the cowl. It's a bummer to hack up, but I couldn't find any other alternative. My pipes stick out about 1"

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronKnees
MTWISTER, got a question for you... In every picture I've seen of this model, NONE show any air outlet opening anywhere in the cowl... It's going to absolutely kill me to cut anything except the hole for the exhaust, but surely there has got to be an escape route for incoming air... How did you do yours?
One idea I did have was to enlarge the hole for the exhaust tube, and I have the material available to actually make two exhaust outlets, one being a dummy... I was thinking about enlarging or elongating those holes to provide an exit for the incoming air... any thoughts???