HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 17, 2002, 07:11 PM
FoamyFactory.com
USA, TX, Fort Worth
Joined Nov 2001
4,346 Posts
L-39 Albatross for 90mm fans

Just tying to get a feel for possible interest... Anybody up for an L-39 for 90mm fans. With all of the Reno L-39 pics floating around and my (yet unused) Schubie sitting on my bench got my creative juices flowing again. Drawings are started, working on formers now. All wood, foam wings. Size is right in between Andy Conway's L-39 and the composit Schriener-Savex kit. Lengh 50", WS 40-42". Short kit may be a possibility if there is enough interest (cores, laser cut formers, clear canopy) Does EDF L-39 pylon racing peak anyone's interest???

Tim H.
Tim H. is offline Find More Posts by Tim H.
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 17, 2002, 08:20 PM
Carbon fiber is our friend
United States, CA, Lodi
Joined Feb 2001
4,225 Posts
It's a great idea, but we can't even get enough people to race speed 400 and most of us have one of those.

Of course I'm interested though. Two things I like, jets and pylon racing. I'd love it! And I have a Jepe 90mm fan sitting.

I think more guys would get involved if there was a kit with glass fuse and foam wings. Look at the pics Gregg F put up of all those MiGs.

Steve C
Steve C is offline Find More Posts by Steve C
Old Sep 17, 2002, 08:47 PM
Joined Sep 2002
7,938 Posts
I second the glass fuse. Build the fuse once, mold it and you can make as many as
you want. We'll be happy to buy them. It sure would mean less construction time on
this end and a more durable model. Just my 2 cents.
U812 is offline Find More Posts by U812
Old Sep 17, 2002, 08:50 PM
Purple power
shadow hills,ca
Joined Apr 2000
6,593 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Steve C

I think more guys would get involved if there was a kit with glass fuse and foam wings. Look at the pics Gregg F put up of all those MiGs.

Steve C
L39 glass kit, i'd be there......

We had the fastest Migs in so. cal on Sat.!
but then Steve wasn't there .......................gregg
gregg f is offline Find More Posts by gregg f
Old Sep 17, 2002, 09:01 PM
Lima,Peru
Joined Jun 2000
40 Posts
gregg f
what power train did you have in those Migs????
regards
guy
Flyguy is offline Find More Posts by Flyguy
Old Sep 17, 2002, 10:14 PM
Purple power
shadow hills,ca
Joined Apr 2000
6,593 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Flyguy
gregg f
what power train did you have in those Migs????
regards
guy
2-480/42 m/f480 10xcp1700's
2-b40's m/f480 10xcp1700's i think
1-b50 wemo 620 fan

..................gregg
gregg f is offline Find More Posts by gregg f
Old Sep 17, 2002, 11:24 PM
Flying Welder Pilot
Reno, Nevada
Joined Jan 2001
1,137 Posts
Tim H- I would be interested too. What kind of wing area do you wind up with at your proportions?
How much room is there for batterys? 18-22 sub Cs?

As for a glass fuselage version, all you have to do is build one really good wood one to pop a set of molds off of. I also lean in the glass fuse, foam wing version.

Maybe L39 pylon racing might not take off as an event. But if you use racing as an excuse for your design you may wind up with a Very FAST 90 mm EDF, which would not be all that bad either.

Steve C- Did you ever try to do a pylon style flight with your Jepe F16?

Gordon
Plane Crazy is offline Find More Posts by Plane Crazy
Old Sep 18, 2002, 01:35 AM
Carbon fiber is our friend
United States, CA, Lodi
Joined Feb 2001
4,225 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by gregg f

We had the fastest Migs in so. cal on Sat.!
but then Steve wasn't there .......................gregg
I bet the one with the B50 goes well.

I have another MiG that would be faster, but I'll probably never get around to finishing it. It was made by Steve Toschi, the original designer. All composite molded. The front of the fuse is molded with the wings and the tail attaches with screws like my other one. The wing and fin are thinner too!

Gordon- Heck no! I'm not that brave I've done fairly small circles, but entered at a moderate speed and powered up after the turn was started. I'm sure it could make the Unlimited course...you know, almost round and 8+ miles
R/C type pylon turns would certainly rip it to pieces.

Here's a good question. How would you start an EDF race? Could use a time clock like we do in slope or giant scale racing. Everyone bungee at once!

Steve C
Steve C is offline Find More Posts by Steve C
Old Sep 18, 2002, 02:29 AM
Joined Sep 2002
7,938 Posts
Well Steve, if they were all 90 mm sized, we'd just take off from the runway, line up and go. It would be a short race, but fun. What a sound it would make.
U812 is offline Find More Posts by U812
Old Sep 18, 2002, 09:24 AM
EDF Jet Jam May 2014
United States, KY, Crestview Hills
Joined Dec 2000
6,591 Posts
L-39 for 90mm fan

I'm game for a Kit Glass fuse/Foam. Definately want it smaller than S/S model for better performance.

By the way we clocked my Vector pro on 22 cells and the big Pletttenberg------156mph.
I still like scale models way better, have been talking with my friend trying to get him to produce fuses of his F4D.
Robert Belluomini is offline Find More Posts by Robert Belluomini
Old Sep 18, 2002, 11:05 AM
Dude, where's My Plane?
Green Lane PA USA
Joined Mar 2001
2,167 Posts
Fow fast would a 90mm fan L-39 be??? I dont know if racing at 150 MPH would be real doable, maybe MF 480 L-39s would be better and a bit slower so the jets could be seen at the far end of the corse . I like the 1, 2, 3, Bungee!!!! race start idea!!!!!
JasonJ is offline Find More Posts by JasonJ
Old Sep 18, 2002, 11:25 AM
Build'em and Crash'em
Narragansett, RI
Joined Oct 2000
3,211 Posts
I want one

Short kit sounds great. My L-39 foamster needs replacement.

I just want a nice flying L-39 model big enough for the Midi Fan and enough cells, around 20 2400s, to fly it.

I'll take a wood kit, much more fun to build. Cheaper too.

Wood or foam wings would be fine

Heck I'll even take fixed gear if that gets me in the air

"Short kit may be a possibility if there is enough interest (cores, laser cut formers, clear canopy)" I hope the plans are included too

Now which color scheme to choose ??????

Count me in.

Ken
Ken Lapointe is online now Find More Posts by Ken Lapointe
Old Sep 18, 2002, 12:08 PM
Las Vegas, NV
Joined Dec 1996
7,933 Posts
Ok before you send Tim off on making a plug for a fuselage, how about telling him and me what to pain the plug with that will dry really smooth (mirror finish if possible) and that with wax and mold release sprayed on wont let the epoxy stick to it? My first glass fuse project with the Wattage Sabre didn't turn out so well...I heavily damaged the second half that I did getting the plug out, the surface looks like the backside of the moon.
Ed Waldrep is offline Find More Posts by Ed Waldrep
Old Sep 18, 2002, 12:28 PM
FoamyFactory.com
USA, TX, Fort Worth
Joined Nov 2001
4,346 Posts
Wow, quite a bit of interest! I do realize pylon racing these would be a little "different". It was more of a "what if" kind of thing rather than serious. It would be fun though.

Wood prototype first, no gear, bungee launched. I will work out gear placement as I draw though. I fly off a grass runway so gear doesn't work real well for me. However, There is a paved runway on the other side of town so I may do gear (retracts)later.

As of right now, I'm not going to invest in the time it takes to make the plug and molds till I know I have a good flying model. Fiberglass fuse is definately an option later on though. It would make things easier. I am trying to design for maximum effieciency and speed. I do want this to be FAST. That's one of the main reasons for sticking with the scale wing size for now. A larger wing to get the wingloading down can always be done later, or as an option on the plans. Hmmm, now that I think about it, I'll do that from the get-go. I'll just draw a scale, and a non-scale larger wing too. Same root and tip templates, just longer span.

Sub-C cells will work. I still have to work out the battery placement and such, but there is plenty of room to work with. I would like to use some of the new Sanyo HV3000 NiMh cells on the proto, but I still have to decide on which motor to use.

Plans are still in the works, but the interest seems to be good so I will press on.

Tim H.
Old Sep 18, 2002, 12:42 PM
FoamyFactory.com
USA, TX, Fort Worth
Joined Nov 2001
4,346 Posts
Re: L-39 for 90mm fan

Quote:
Originally posted by agustapower
I'm game for a Kit Glass fuse/Foam. Definately want it smaller than S/S model for better performance.

By the way we clocked my Vector pro on 22 cells and the big Pletttenberg------156mph.
I still like scale models way better, have been talking with my friend trying to get him to produce fuses of his F4D.
agustapower - What is the outlet diameter on your Vector Pro? Inlets on my L-39 are going to work out to be 100% FSA, but I need outlet measurements for the Schubie... Chris, if you are lurking about... What is the inlet area, and the outlet dia. on your El Bandito?

Tim H.
Last edited by Tim H.; Sep 18, 2002 at 12:44 PM.