HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 04, 2007, 04:17 AM
Smoke on , go !
Verona - Italy
Joined Jan 2007
2,527 Posts
Link
What to buy for video piloting. Updated November 20th 2010.

Everything in the attached PDF document.
Send me a PM to add a link.
Thanks

On next update I will ad these links:

http://videoaerialsystems.com/
zaguruinzasky is offline Find More Posts by zaguruinzasky
Last edited by zaguruinzasky; Apr 24, 2011 at 07:17 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 04, 2007, 05:14 AM
Elmhurst, NY (Queens in NYC)
Joined Apr 2004
7,045 Posts
Maybe we can have a sticky put up with URL's of all the better sites. It seems to me I just posted something like this, each category with at least a couple of choices.

http://www.blackwidowav.com/
http://www.rangevideo.com/
http://www.futurehobbies.com/

These are a good place to start. Basically I think you should read as many threads as you can and get a feel for what people like and don't like.

I haven't personally dealt with all of them.

As far as goggles and head tracking, it changes daily. If I say. "Buy this," by tomorrow it will be obsolete. Get something and plan to get something new by summer!

BTW, it seems that getting head tracking to work with tx's other than Futaba can be tricky so I will definitely leave that for someone with experience with non-Futaba gear.

Pete
PeteSchug is offline Find More Posts by PeteSchug
Old Jan 04, 2007, 08:08 AM
Madrid, Spain
Joined Dec 2004
2,102 Posts
I don´t know for sure because I haven´t one but, do you think (experienced fpv flyiers with HT) that starting with HT might be more confusing?

As Pete says, this is evolving almost each day, and if maybe could do the first steps into fpv harder I think would be a good idea waiting a little for the HT

But as I´ve said, I don´t have any HT so I don´t know for sure...
AndrésMtnez is offline Find More Posts by AndrésMtnez
Old Jan 04, 2007, 08:51 AM
Joined Apr 2004
7,045 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrésMtnez
I don´t know for sure because I haven´t one but, do you think (experienced fpv flyiers with HT) that starting with HT might be more confusing?

As Pete says, this is evolving almost each day, and if maybe could do the first steps into fpv harder I think would be a good idea waiting a little for the HT

But as I´ve said, I don´t have any HT so I don´t know for sure...
Personal belief. Head tracking should make it easier. Look first then turn and things like that. If you are not familiar with an area you probably will not be able to do something simple like a 90 degree turn without a bit of practice. I probably did two full circles on my first turn in an unfamiliar area under overcast skies. It took that long to orient myself. Hmm... That flight is on video, maybe I should review it.

If you look out at your wing tip and turn to that heading you have done a 90 degree turn effortlessly. Even if you have only 45 degrees each side of center, as long as your horizontal FOV is 90 degrees you should be able to see your wing tip.

No, I haven't actually done it. I managed to fly head up and locked listening to both of my safety pilots. Next try with head tracking I will make a point of looking around. I think it should make things easier.

Pete
Old Jan 04, 2007, 09:49 AM
Smoke on , go !
Verona - Italy
Joined Jan 2007
2,527 Posts
Thanx guys for your info.
I normally fly formation flight with Lock On simulator ( www.iat-aerobatic.com )using the TrackIR (www.naturalpoint.com ) head movement tracking system so for me it should be very natural becouse the only difference is the real aircraft and real enviroment. I remember I took about 20 / 30 hours to get used to head tracking but now i can't fly without it...

Any goggles link from the many?

Thanx
Old Jan 04, 2007, 09:53 AM
Smoke on , go !
Verona - Italy
Joined Jan 2007
2,527 Posts
another good website I found is this www.rc-tech.ch (french and english). They got complete system but they'r a bit expensive...
Old Jan 04, 2007, 10:20 AM
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Jan 2005
5,252 Posts
Intuitive Circuits has a few OSD's that work off of GPS. These update every 2 sentences. The problem is size. I run 3" ribs and usually put the OSD in the wing between two ribs...

Mighty GPS has a few OEM GPS units you can use to tie into the OSD.
typicalaimster is online now Find More Posts by typicalaimster
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: I was bored
Old Jan 04, 2007, 11:16 AM
Joined Apr 2004
7,045 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by zaguruinzasky
another good website I found is this www.rc-tech.ch (french and english). They got complete system but they'r a bit expensive...
Check with AnthonyRC. I think he makes a head tracking device. I don't know if he has a business on the web yet.

Pete
Old Jan 04, 2007, 11:27 AM
Smoke on , go !
Verona - Italy
Joined Jan 2007
2,527 Posts
I'm adding a lot of links in my first post.. if some user needs them..
Old Jan 06, 2007, 07:47 PM
Smoke on , go !
Verona - Italy
Joined Jan 2007
2,527 Posts
ok thanx for the links, but now I'm a lot more confused... eheh
from your experience, what products do you think are the best available to date from these manufacturers??
Old Jan 06, 2007, 08:57 PM
Pull out early!
Lexington, KY
Joined Jan 2005
1,956 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteSchug
Check with AnthonyRC. I think he makes a head tracking device. I don't know if he has a business on the web yet.

Pete
Anthony's site is http://www.aeropix.ch/store/ but he is sold out of everything at the moment.

ZaGuru,

What are your goals for the plane? There is a very nice predator in the Show Us Your Planes thread with equipment listed. Since the pred is pretty light, I'd order a 500mw 2.4ghz tx/rx set and panasonic kx131 from rangevideo. Goggles, I'd probably go with the red set at futurehobbies. Pan, tilt, headtracker from the above link (anthonyRC) with a Futaba 9CAP Super radio. Diversity receiver (futurehobbies) with two 14db flat patch antennas (or antenna of your choosing). On Screen Display (w/GPS) - Inspire from www.dpcav.com is a really good one (I have one ordered and use the lower Vizion OSD now). www.u-nav.com has a $350 Return to Launch GPS rudder-steerer, and a $200 altitude hold board (ALT3). www.fmadirect.com for a Co-Pilot system (I use FS8) that acts as a wing leveler.

After a good 300 watt motor, ESC, rcvr, servos, I'd say most of that $2500 is wrecked.

Dave
DiveBombDave is offline Find More Posts by DiveBombDave
Last edited by DiveBombDave; Jan 06, 2007 at 09:03 PM.
Old Jan 07, 2007, 02:15 AM
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Jan 2005
5,252 Posts
Hey can you break your links down into categories? Maybe like Video Downlink, Flight stabilization, head trackers?
typicalaimster is online now Find More Posts by typicalaimster
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: I was bored
Old Jan 07, 2007, 04:30 AM
Switzerland
Joined Sep 2004
1,143 Posts
The TrackR1s should be in stock shortly, and this time there should be plenty to go around (I greatly underestimated their popularity!)

www.aeropix.ch/store
AnthonyRC is offline Find More Posts by AnthonyRC
Old Jan 07, 2007, 08:36 AM
Joined Apr 2004
7,045 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by typicalaimster
Hey can you break your links down into categories? Maybe like Video Downlink, Flight stabilization, head trackers?
Can we get a sticky for this? It would be nice to point people at sources without having to retype the same info again and again.

Pete
Old Jan 07, 2007, 12:02 PM
Smoke on , go !
Verona - Italy
Joined Jan 2007
2,527 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by typicalaimster
done.