HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 03, 2007, 11:20 PM
Micro Zippy
Seattle
Joined Oct 2006
451 Posts
Discussion
Smiley build log: my first home built micro

I would say its a scratch built, but i'm using the plans from derJuF posted in this thread (http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...=605621&page=7) called "Smiley".

I'm planning on putting the AA components on it, with the motors setup as pullers vs their default pusher setup.

This is my very first home built RC plane so we'll see what happens. Here are the pictures of my progress so far:
jconwell is offline Find More Posts by jconwell
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 03, 2007, 11:24 PM
Micro Crazy Man
Baltimore, Md.
Joined May 2004
1,531 Posts
Looks good so far Hope all goes well what Material you using for the build Depron?

Epic
epicdoom is offline Find More Posts by epicdoom
Old Jan 03, 2007, 11:37 PM
Micro Zippy
Seattle
Joined Oct 2006
451 Posts
Yup, I just got some 2mm Depron yesterday. Though I think next time I'm gona get 3mm instead. I'm not sure how sturdy the 2mm will be.

By the way...hot cutters are so much fun! LOL

Anyone have tips on how to cut good curves with a hot cutter?
Old Jan 03, 2007, 11:38 PM
1 paycheck away from homeless
United States, KS
Joined Mar 2006
4,574 Posts
That'll be a neat little plane. I thought about building it too. I ended up building one I created from a couple of plans I saw. I joined them together. I am waiting to test this weekend. I hope it flies. Your doing a great job. Good luck, Steve
ghostmechanic is offline Find More Posts by ghostmechanic
Old Jan 04, 2007, 12:07 AM
Micro Zippy
Seattle
Joined Oct 2006
451 Posts
Thanks epicdoom and ghostmechanic! Ghostmechanic, I'd like to see a picture of the model you came up with.

Here are a few more pictures of my progress. Its going faster than I expected.
Old Jan 04, 2007, 12:59 AM
Micro Zippy
Seattle
Joined Oct 2006
451 Posts
Almost done...This has been a lot of fun

One question. My little Smiley has a case of the droopy wings. Both wings hand down instead of straight out or a little up. What can i do to fix this?
Old Jan 04, 2007, 02:33 AM
Boston, MA
Joined Dec 2002
465 Posts
You could build a little more structure in the fuse to hold the wings at the correct angle, or run flying wires (thread) from the top of the fuse to the wings to hold them up. Or let the wings droop when the plane is stationary and see if they actually bend upwards when the plane is flying since they are supporting the weight of the plane at that point.

Bill
FFFlier is offline Find More Posts by FFFlier
Old Jan 04, 2007, 04:47 AM
Birmingham / England
Joined Feb 2003
483 Posts
You could put a former in the fuselage in the shape of a shallow 'V" above the centre of the wing. this would push the wings down where they meet in the centre. this will give the wings dihedral, (tips of the wings higher than the root) which is essential if you want the plane to be stable and to turn properly.

By the way nice plane.

The other Graham
Graham Smith is offline Find More Posts by Graham Smith
Old Jan 04, 2007, 01:12 PM
"To Fly is Everything"
athens georgia
Joined Dec 2006
280 Posts
im going to start building the smiley today,think ill cut a one piece wing and score it and brace for some dihedral,thats once ive figured out the wingspan im not sure im printin the plan the right size
britchris is offline Find More Posts by britchris
Old Jan 04, 2007, 02:39 PM
Micro Zippy
Seattle
Joined Oct 2006
451 Posts
britchris...I think thats what i'm going to do too, drop the two piece wing design and cut myself a single wing, score it and put a brace on it to hold the dihedral.

I dont like the two piece wing thingy. The only reason that the two piece wing makes sense is that it'll be easier for you to put the reciever and battery in. With the one piece wing it'll be harder. I'm thinking about making a cut in the bottom of the fusalage and inserting the reciever and battery there, with the reciever user interface flush with the bottom of the fusalage.

Another thing i did was put brace in the bottom of the wings about 1 inch outside the fusalage to hold the wing curve.
Old Jan 04, 2007, 03:19 PM
"To Fly is Everything"
athens georgia
Joined Dec 2006
280 Posts
ok i got a prob with printing the plan for the smiley,anyone got a non pdf of the plan? i cant get the bloody thing to print it right scale ie 22.5 cm wingspan grrrrr
im sure its me doin summin daft lol
Old Jan 04, 2007, 03:35 PM
Lahr / Germany
Joined Jul 2006
142 Posts
hi @ all Smileybuilders
Wait some minutes please, i just prepare the plan as .tif and .jpg with markers for the motors and the pieces for the undercarriage.

Greetings Juergen
derJuF is offline Find More Posts by derJuF
Old Jan 04, 2007, 03:38 PM
"To Fly is Everything"
athens georgia
Joined Dec 2006
280 Posts
thanks jurgen,your a star
Old Jan 04, 2007, 04:15 PM
Lahr / Germany
Joined Jul 2006
142 Posts
hope you can open the zipped files if you need .tif...

Greetings juergen
derJuF is offline Find More Posts by derJuF
Last edited by derJuF; Jan 05, 2007 at 12:37 AM.
Old Jan 04, 2007, 05:06 PM
Micro Zippy
Seattle
Joined Oct 2006
451 Posts
derJuf: Your not a star, your a super star! This is a cool little plane

I have a question though. These plans are a bit different then the ones you posted on the AA mod part 3 thread (page 7) that I followed. In the plan you just posted, the fusalage bottom width is almost twice as wide as thes the original plan called for (the long rectangle with the triangle at one end). Did you find that a wider body gave better flight performance? Or is it just a cosmetic change?

britchris: One piece that isnt on this plan derJuF posted is the piece that joins the two fusalage halfs together on the TOP of the plane. The top piece is similar to the long rectangle with the triange at one end, except the rectangle is shorter.