HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 03, 2007, 01:05 AM
ob1
Southeast TN
Joined Jan 2006
580 Posts
Discussion
FPV camera setup versus "preview" A/V output

OK...bear with me on this....maybe this sounds dumb, but here goes.
I understand all of the wiring I have set up for my "normal" video tx and camera. i.e. I have the BWAV 600mw tx with its own 4.8v NiMh flat pack for power. Using a buss board, the red, black, and yellow tx wires also go to the kx-131 camera. In this scenario the red supplies the 5v to the cam, and the black is ground, and the yellow is video signal back to the tx. The important point is that in this setup the tx red and black leads supply 5v camera power and ground. I have a separate mic attached to tx via the buss board which is also powerd by the same 5v and its output is attached to the white audio tx lead. If I want to take the RCA A/V output from my Canon digatal camera (which already has its own power), and feed the signal to my BWAV tx, how do I need to set up the wiring harness from the tx to accept the RCA connectors (separate video and audio) from the camera?

Here's my current thinking: I assume the video RCA yellow center lead will be the video signal from the digital camera and connected to the yellow tx lead. I assume the audio RCA red center lead will be the audio signal from the digital camera and connected to the white tx lead. I assume the ground on both RCA leads from the dital camera will connect to the black tx lead. And I assume I will simply dead-end the red tx power lead? Does this sound correct or is there another solution? Currently the special wire and mini plug that normally attaches to the kx131 is spliced to a servo-type plug at the tx end and plugs into a mating servo plug from the tx. My goal is to build a separate harness to mate up with the existing tx servo plug on one end, and the other end of the harness will terminate in two female RCA plugs for my digital camera A/V output cable to attach to.

For what it's worth, the significance of asking this in the FPV forum is because I have tested my Canon point-n-shoot video and audio output in "movie" mode, and it is absolutely great. It is a much better CCD and optics than my kx131, and captures 640x480@30fps. So I am considering a method to mount it on my EZ* or TSII and at least occasionally use it to perhaps combine some FPV time with some AV onboard recording, versus recording from the downlink rx output. This way I could either snap in my normal pan/tilt kx131 and do FPV only, or snap in my Canon and do FPV plus AV onboard capture.
Thx for your help...
ob1
ob1 is offline Find More Posts by ob1
Last edited by ob1; Jan 03, 2007 at 01:20 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 03, 2007, 04:08 AM
Happy FPV flyer
United Arab Emirates, Dubai
Joined Sep 2006
4,898 Posts
What you said is right

Oh, don't forget the most important, that is to check your camera has the possibility to disable auto-off powersave, and use it!
Kilrah is offline Find More Posts by Kilrah
Last edited by Kilrah; Jan 03, 2007 at 04:17 AM.