Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Jan 04, 2007, 05:31 AM
Birmingham Intl, Great Britain (UK)
Joined Jul 2004
969 Posts
I used HS65mg's on mine with a CSM 420 and Futaba 3154 tail servo which works well so far. I bought the kit with motor and esc but I would guess most 3500kv or similar setups should work, it basically uses the same motors as the Trex 450. My woodies where 3 turns of tape out of balance, not good although the c of g was fine.

eMeNeX, I wouldn't describe the Mini-Titan as simple, there are an extraordinary number of parts in the kit although they all fit well and apart from the stiff links it performs well.
Steve990 is offline Find More Posts by Steve990
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 04, 2007, 07:33 AM
How high does it go?..duh
Currently in...UK
Joined Jun 2004
2,633 Posts
I've just got a Mini T too, it seems a little on the heavy side to me and I still have to get a motor for it, wonder if this heli would be better on 4s instead of 3s. What are the runtimes like on the 3s setup?
Pigs dont fly is offline Find More Posts by Pigs dont fly
Old Jan 04, 2007, 08:10 AM
Joined Sep 2005
21 Posts
I just finished my mini-t last night around midnight, running a align 2500 KV, with an align 35 amp ESC. CCPM servos are Hitec HS-56 with karbonite gears. And an HS-55 on the tail (it's all I had). A hover with a low head speed was super stable, this is gonna be fun! This was my first helicopter build, and I enjoyed it. With the Hitec servos, they have a four screw mount system, while the mounts on the helicopter have 2, and the holes are bigger than the mounting screws that came with the servos. I used screws from the spare parts bags (at least that's what I hope they are!) to mount them. I cut off the vertical mount, and drilled a hole in the middle of the two horizontal mounting holes. GY240 gyro. I would post pictures if I could find the stupid proprietary usb cable that came with my camera. I'll get a card reader later.
vaxgod is offline Find More Posts by vaxgod
Old Jan 04, 2007, 08:52 AM
Birmingham Intl, Great Britain (UK)
Joined Jul 2004
969 Posts
It is heavier than the Trex 450. I'm using 2150 & 2170 packs but I haven't got enough flights yet to see how power consumption is panning out. At the moment I'm flying for 6 minutes on the timer but I've yet to try out carbon blades.
Steve990 is offline Find More Posts by Steve990
Old Jan 04, 2007, 10:31 AM
How high does it go?..duh
Currently in...UK
Joined Jun 2004
2,633 Posts
Thanks Steve, lol I dont think I need to rush at the moment, the only thing thats flying round here are dustbin lids. Seems like the winds been blowing a gale for months now.
Pigs dont fly is offline Find More Posts by Pigs dont fly
Old Jan 04, 2007, 03:49 PM
Fonny
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Apr 2006
206 Posts
Sorry to disappoint you OzAce. Bought a T-Rex yesterday. Just got the XL and will put on the belt drive main at www.acceleratedrc.com and frame when the plastic frame looks a bit tired. I'm a bit conservative and will wait for a few more reports on the minititan before going that way.
Enjoy the build.
Rob.
Diamond Creek,
Melbourne.
rjfon1 is offline Find More Posts by rjfon1
Old Jan 04, 2007, 03:54 PM
Renewed interest
Melbourne , Australia
Joined Jun 2002
8,950 Posts
Have fun Ron, most of these mini's work pretty well so the flying is good. Thats the most important thing.
ozace is offline Find More Posts by ozace
Old Jan 04, 2007, 05:07 PM
Renewed interest
Melbourne , Australia
Joined Jun 2002
8,950 Posts
Heli is all finished now apart from servo install. The head is very tight still but runs smooth.There are a few nice touches on this one, i like lots of bearings,the motor mount and the "once piece boom" section. I dont like the little ball links, the horrible look of front of the frame (sloping tray). The head plastic doesnt feel up to the task but it may just be a "looks" thing. Proof will be in the flying.

I have a little concern about the screws used. Many of the self tapping screws i feel are 2mm too short. There seems very little holding the skids to the frame and the servo mounts to the frame as well.

I can forsee this will be a short lived heli, there must be a V2 comming with a metal headblock and i suspect a stronger plastic in the head. These helis need to be able to cope with 2800-3000 headspeeds like the competition, most of which run metal headblocks (dragonus intruder apart, but its great plastic).
Old Jan 04, 2007, 09:41 PM
Renewed interest
Melbourne , Australia
Joined Jun 2002
8,950 Posts
So i go to install the servos. I decided to use HS 65's, pretty much the standard servo for a mini these days. They dont fit. TT have really messed up in this aspect. The fix is a 5 min job with a file or dremel but we really shouldnt have to worry about suck things.

The temps down here are getting warm (35degC) and the plastic almost feels as though it is becomming more flexible, i just hope this is the heat playing havoc with me and not the heli.
Old Jan 05, 2007, 04:31 AM
Renewed interest
Melbourne , Australia
Joined Jun 2002
8,950 Posts
It flies

My how things have changed in the mini heli arena.
Straight off the bench, smoooth spool up , no wobbles or funky dance.
In the air solid and stable. The tight links are a problem, the heli has that sticky feeling. I will run a few tanks thru to see if it frees up, if not good old Align balls and links will come to the rescue.

I had the 2400kv motor in , strong strong strong but too low a HS, i swapped out to a z-power 3800kv motor with 11t pinion, much better HS, this is the way it will stay.
Old Jan 05, 2007, 07:52 AM
In Thrust We Trust
Norfolk Intl, Virginia, United States
Joined Jul 2004
1,660 Posts
Excellent! Thats what really counts. Congrats on a successful maiden and thanks for the build report. Got any pics /video you could rustle up?
WaterDog is offline Find More Posts by WaterDog
Old Jan 05, 2007, 08:58 AM
www.hoverhobbies.com
Joined Jun 2006
151 Posts
I have a mini titan I have been flying for just a couple of weeks...paid full retail, I have no affiliation with any TT distributor.
Anyway, I wanted to comment on the head, the plastic is terrible, the mixing arms, flybar cage, etc.. are VERY flexible and after only a few flights the head block seemed to develop a slight rocking on the main shaft so I ended up replacing the entire head minus swash with a full metal trex head and all is good.
This is the first TT heli I have ever owned or flew and everything looks great with the only exception being the head.
Oh, I almost forgot...at high headspeeds I could not get the blades to track...not even close. Most likely due to the flexo-plastic parts but could have been a bad set of blades...

So my point is, be safe and take care in checking the head components prior to flight.
Just my 2 cents..and Happy New Year!

Oz..if you decide to go with align ball links the align screws are larger diameter.
-Terry

edit..I also wanted to mention I could not get my favorite NeuMotor to fit...1107's and 1110's are too tall and the anti-rotation swash pin hits the motor case.
hoverhobbies is offline Find More Posts by hoverhobbies
Last edited by hoverhobbies; Jan 06, 2007 at 12:27 AM.
Old Jan 05, 2007, 03:02 PM
Renewed interest
Melbourne , Australia
Joined Jun 2002
8,950 Posts
Terry, thanks for popping in and posting. I appreciate it. The things you mention are areas i have concerns. I knew the align ball job would be a big effort thats why i didnt do it straight off, i am hopeful it will free up after a few flights. If mine develops like yours did it will end up in the bin. My dragonus has done enough flights now and its still great so i will stay with it full time if the mini-t doenst work out.

I have spent enough time tinkering in the past, i wont do it any more.
Old Jan 05, 2007, 05:23 PM
Heli Monger
New York Ny/Newark La Guardia, New York, United States
Joined Jun 2004
760 Posts
Hearing this kind of saddens me. Looks like I will wait for further revisions. For now I will stick to my Dragonus
eMeNeX is offline Find More Posts by eMeNeX
Old Jan 05, 2007, 06:23 PM
Joined Sep 2005
21 Posts
So far, I have only hovered mine, however, i'm used to the responsiveness of my Raptor 30, and Blade CP Pro. My mini-T takes huge throws with the control to make any movement, i'm thinking it's a setup issue. Here are some pics of my swash at all four extremes. How does it look?
vaxgod is offline Find More Posts by vaxgod