HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 02, 2007, 07:07 PM
San Diego, CA
Joined Nov 2006
43 Posts
Discussion
Building a light-wind sloper with coroplast

Hi,

I saw a couple of web pages about someone building a slope plane out of coroplast and I was wondering if anyone else had done so. If you have made planes out of coroplast before, what are your experiences? If you haven't, what are your understanding on how it would work based on your knowledge of coroplast?

I know coroplast can be heavy, but can the hollow wing core offset the weight of coroplast if the wings were made large enough? Would coroplast be strong enough to withstand the load on the wing?

The web pages that I saw were:
http://www.rcsail.com/article_beetle.htm
http://www.rcsail.com/beetle.htm

My goal is to build something that could stay up in very light wind, something simular to an Alula/Red Herring/Boomer? Maybe not in size, but at least in wind conditions.

- Tony
jthsiao is offline Find More Posts by jthsiao
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 02, 2007, 07:24 PM
within 10 min of JOe and in EZ's house
Joined Apr 2006
371 Posts
Dude, go for it. I would If I knew where to get some coro. Make sure to do a build log and let us know how ith flys.

Grant
Fly'n fish is offline Find More Posts by Fly'n fish
Old Jan 02, 2007, 07:35 PM
Permanently Banned
Joined Aug 2005
1,292 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fly'n fish
Dude, go for it. I would If I knew where to get some coro. Make sure to do a build log and let us know how ith flys.

Grant
You can usually get coroplast at Tap Plastics...they call it something else..and I forget what it is now but it was around $20(?) for a 4x8 sheet and they had a large stack of it. I used it to make glider boxes for my larger planes. You could also follow the lead of the guy in the nano falcon sloper thread and use depron instead for a much lighter airframe if needed.

BTW.....Web designers who think it's neat to put musack on their pages should be drawn and quartered...
Steve
pinolefm1 is offline Find More Posts by pinolefm1
Old Jan 02, 2007, 07:37 PM
Joined Nov 2004
851 Posts
You know what they say, "Once you fly coroplast, you never go back!"
flystoolow is offline Find More Posts by flystoolow
Old Jan 02, 2007, 07:42 PM
Confirmed Chronic
Pacific Palisades, CA
Joined Jul 2004
9,218 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flystoolow
You know what they say, "Once you fly coroplast, you never go back!"
Eh.....no.
screamin' eagle is offline Find More Posts by screamin' eagle
Old Jan 02, 2007, 08:11 PM
Joined Nov 2004
851 Posts
Actually, truth be told, I think painted cardboard has an edge over coroplast....but that's just me.
flystoolow is offline Find More Posts by flystoolow
Old Jan 02, 2007, 08:26 PM
oceanside, ca
oceanside, ca
Joined Mar 2006
212 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by screamin' eagle
Eh.....no.

Double Eh ... no. I built the Micro Slope Stik (link below) .. I will say it flew ok and it only took me two hours to build. It was a little heavy because I used 4mil instead of 2 mil. It did not penetrate very well and my Raider flew in less wind. I think it would probably work petty well with 2mil. At 2 hours build time, it is still worth throwing together in my opinion but SPAD is not great for sloping. It is just not very aerodynamic or light.

http://www.stevelange.net/spad/
a67676767 is offline Find More Posts by a67676767
Old Jan 02, 2007, 08:49 PM
RC recluse
Australia, NSW, Kempsey
Joined Dec 2004
1,808 Posts
Also check out the DaZi, and the MUGI.

Both fly in pretty light wind if you can use 2mm coro and maybe a light carbon spar.

I have a whole bunch of coro gliders, with spans from 750mm, all the way up to a 3mt rudder/elevator floater. I even built a Jart out of coro, and it flies pretty good as well.

Its fun to build out of, and it cheap.

Use double sided tape, contact adhesive glue, Goop and packing tape, and you can get something really nice.

With some experimentation with slicing the coro flutes, you can get some complex curves as well, which look great.

Give it a whirl.

Brett
nator_au is offline Find More Posts by nator_au
Old Jan 02, 2007, 09:59 PM
__Jackass Savant__
United States, CA, Oxnard
Joined Feb 2005
2,505 Posts
dazi ...

Boz
theBOZman is offline Find More Posts by theBOZman
Last edited by theBOZman; Jan 02, 2007 at 10:04 PM.
Old Jan 02, 2007, 10:27 PM
Feeling FrSky
United States, CA, Santa Barbara
Joined Feb 2003
20,086 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by a67676767
Double Eh ... no. I built the Micro Slope Stik (link below) .. I will say it flew ok and it only took me two hours to build. It was a little heavy because I used 4mil instead of 2 mil.
I'm not surprised it didn't fly well - 4mm Coro is way to heavy for the MiSS as designed. I'd have scaled it up to 36" - 40" span at a minimum, maybe 48". Glad you built it though, that's cool

The 24" MiSS, built with 2mm Coroplast, is a fun enough little plane that will perform as stated on the plan. With the strongly undercambered "Jedelsky" -style airfoil it does not have inverted performance or great penetration, but it can be tip launched to about 25-30 feet and is a quick, nimble little plane that's fun for goofing around with. It's definitely a novelty, but a fun one.

That said, IMHO the most successful Coroplast sloper design is the Mugi:

http://www.mugi.co.uk/

I always keep one on hand for whenever the mood strikes. Having built a few, if you are working with Coroplast from the US (which is heavier than European Coroplast, for whatever reason), I've found that they work best scaled up to about 40" span. I have a yellow finless one that flies great (for a Mugi anyways). Definitely a durable, fun plane, not the highest performance but surprisingly good considering it's just a folded up sheet of corrugated plastic.

Steve
surfimp is offline Find More Posts by surfimp
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 02, 2007, 10:45 PM
oceanside, ca
oceanside, ca
Joined Mar 2006
212 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by surfimp
I'm not surprised it didn't fly well - 4mm Coro is way to heavy for the MiSS as designed. I'd have scaled it up to 36" - 40" span at a minimum, maybe 48". Glad you built it though, that's cool
It flew ok .. I was lighter on the gear so overall I was just over 5 oz if I remember. Honestly was a fun build though, and great plans. I like the "one page" format. Definitely not a disappointment.

My point was that you can't expect great performance from most SPAD planes on the slope because they are usually not optimized aerodynamically. Nothing wrong with your plans.
Old Jan 02, 2007, 11:35 PM
Feeling FrSky
United States, CA, Santa Barbara
Joined Feb 2003
20,086 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by a67676767
My point was that you can't expect great performance from most SPAD planes on the slope because they are usually not optimized aerodynamically. Nothing wrong with your plans.
My apologies if my first post read "defensively"... not my intention

I too agree concerning Coro as a building material... seems to end up being too draggy, too floppy, and too heavy to be real good for gliders. It's fun to fool around with, though.

Steve
surfimp is offline Find More Posts by surfimp
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 02, 2007, 11:44 PM
oceanside, ca
oceanside, ca
Joined Mar 2006
212 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by surfimp
It's fun to fool around with, though.
fo sho
Old Jan 03, 2007, 09:33 AM
The Predator
Golden, Colorado
Joined Dec 2004
3,565 Posts
Been there, done that' same experiences! I'd say it's just the opposite. Once you do a coro ship you'll never go back to CORO but it was fun to play around with! The building is cooler then the flying. The one Boz did does look darn nice though! Putting some LEDS in a ship like that would be SUPER COOL!!! How did that thing fly BOZman???
The Predator is offline Find More Posts by The Predator
Old Jan 03, 2007, 01:13 PM
__Jackass Savant__
United States, CA, Oxnard
Joined Feb 2005
2,505 Posts
Those are direct links to images on the designers website. It's not my plane. I always liked how the clear came out. That's why I bought a bunch of it from fastsigns. I used pratically the same technique on my SSDC entry.

The only thing I ended up using it for was a project box that has a dimmer switch and socket for my feathercut. And to give some to jludwick for an alieron I lost.

I still like how the clear one looks. And it would be obvoiusly tough. I will probably build one eventually. But as cool as it is, I have moved on to greener pastures for the time being.

Boz
theBOZman is offline Find More Posts by theBOZman
Last edited by theBOZman; Jan 03, 2007 at 01:21 PM.