HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 02, 2007, 02:27 PM
The "pro" in procrastination
Canada, ON, Kingston
Joined Mar 2004
2,455 Posts
Build Log
Don Srull Dornier Do 335

Having finished the Taylor Cub before Christmas, I needed another build to keep me busy over the New Year's week, so digging around in my pile of plans, I found a copy of Don Srull's plan for an 18" span rubber powered Do 335. This has always been one of my favourite airframes, so I got started. The pics below show construction at an early stage, with the wing complete and the fuselage started. The wing is just fitted in place at this point, since I'll want to cover it before installing it for good.

I don't know if I'm going to be brave enough to try flying it once it's built, but I'm trying to keep it light just in case. The framework pictured weighs 7 grams so far. As far as colour schemes go, I'm thinking of a grey night fighter scheme, even though it will be a single-seater (more like fantasy scale ).

Anyone built and flown one of these before?

Steve
Steve85 is offline Find More Posts by Steve85
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 02, 2007, 03:16 PM
Free Flight rubber flyer
South Carolina
Joined Mar 2005
466 Posts
Looks nice. And flying is mandatory. This plane is a really good flier thanks to its great proportions.
jwfinn is offline Find More Posts by jwfinn
Old Jan 02, 2007, 03:17 PM
United States, VA, Chesterfield
Joined Mar 2001
5,144 Posts
Don's Dornier Do-355 flew very well and still exists along with two larger ones. Don was quite a pioneer in building rubber powered versions of planes that no one would try to build. I fly with Don several times a year and he still pulls rabbits out of the hat.

Pat
Pat Daily is offline Find More Posts by Pat Daily
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Don Srull's BE-2
Old Jan 02, 2007, 03:29 PM
Intermediate Multi
Columbus, OH
Joined Mar 2005
3,216 Posts
Are both props powered? If it was mine, I'd make the rear prop a dummy.

Tom
Trisquire is offline Find More Posts by Trisquire
Old Jan 02, 2007, 03:39 PM
Aberdeen
Joined Mar 2006
10,467 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trisquire
Are both props powered? If it was mine, I'd make the rear prop a dummy.

Tom
Both props are shown powered Don's plan.. There are two separate rubber motors (rather than a prop at each end of one motor).

I would have though counter rotating props was a great idea. Because the torques cancel each other out it should negate any requirement for side thrust that you would normally find on a single prop model.
JetPlaneFlyer is offline Find More Posts by JetPlaneFlyer
Old Jan 03, 2007, 12:30 PM
Canada, ON, Kingston
Joined Mar 2004
2,455 Posts
The plans show no side thrust at all, on either end, so it looks like counter-rotation was taken into account in the design. I'm definitely building it with two props in mind, although for initial flights it might be safe to use only the front prop with the rear one free wheeling. The plans specify 6 or 7 inch props, and I think I'm going to use Peck Polymers props. I know three bladers would look so much better, but I don't really want to build them and I can't see them surviving landings anyway since I won't be building landing gear. As it is, I'm thinking of attaching the bottom fin/rudder with magnets to allow it to pop off on landing.

Hey Pat, next time you see Don Srull, tell him we're still building his designs!

Steve
Old Jan 03, 2007, 01:43 PM
Intermediate Multi
Columbus, OH
Joined Mar 2005
3,216 Posts
Don designed a Lippisch flying wing model with a similar push-pull configuration. I saved that issue of Model Aviation specifically for that reason. The April '90 issue has his rubber powered Curtiss OC-2 biplane. Also on my 'to do' list.

Tom
Old Jan 03, 2007, 03:30 PM
Joined Mar 2001
5,144 Posts
I sent him this link--he will get a kick out of it.

Pat
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 03, 2007, 05:47 PM
Intermediate Multi
Columbus, OH
Joined Mar 2005
3,216 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat Daily
I sent him this link--he will get a kick out of it.

Pat
Don, Post something. We want to hear from the master.

I looked up the Lippisch P-13 article. It's in the July '86 MA. Just like the Dornier, each prop is powered by a separate motor.

Tom
Old Jan 04, 2007, 07:45 AM
Joined Mar 2001
5,144 Posts
I sent Don an email with the link and got an answer:

>Don
>
>
>
>These folks are building your Do 335
>
>
>
>http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...43#post6662375
>
>
>
>Pat
>Pat,
An amazing coincidence! After the GREAT free flight days last Friday and Saturday, I'm resurecting several old rubber ships. The enlarged 30" span Do335 still looks good, so I took her down to install a new Tan II motor. I missplaced the two props, so will initially go simple with one in the nose. I'll send a picture tomorrow - if the sun comes out!
My Alco Sport cocoanut and Copeland old time Wakefield are back in shape - both flew last Saturday for the first time in many years. Fun!!
Let's fly this weekend.
Don
>
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 04, 2007, 03:09 PM
Canada, ON, Kingston
Joined Mar 2004
2,455 Posts
Well, it's a good day indeed when Pat Daily and Don Srull both take an interest in your build! Honestly gents, I'm honoured.

Here're a few pics of progress made over the past few days. I decided to throw caution to the winds and worked up a scale-ish cockpit out of pink foam and my lightest 1/32" balsa. This plane has a big greenhouse, and it just didn't seem right to leave it naked underneath. I even tried my hand at carving a pilot out of pink foam, but at 18" span, the scale works out to about 1/30th, and that's just too fiddly for me. She'll have to fly around on autopilot, I guess. It's not readily apparent in the photos, but there's plenty of room under the cockpit floor for the front rubber motor. All the fuselage stringers are now installed, and the weight so far is 12 grams. On to the tail surfaces this weekend, which I'll bet will have to be as light as possible...

Steve
Old Jan 11, 2007, 06:51 PM
Casper WY
Joined Dec 2005
3 Posts
Hello Steve
I have literally lost track of the number of Do 335s I have built of all modifications. I often wonder why it is not modeled more. Your model will fly great no matter how you arrange the motors but Don's suggestions in the article will give the best results. Just for fun try this: pin the back prop immobile (but such that the pin can easily pull out) and run a thin line from the pin and loop it around your wrist. Make the line about a foot or so long. When you launch it keep your hand pointing to the departing aircraft. The line will go tight, the pin pulls out and the back prop kicks in like an afterburner. When it all goes right, it really looks cool on that climb-out!
Tom Arnold is offline Find More Posts by Tom Arnold
Old Jan 13, 2007, 07:03 PM
Erlangen, Germany
Joined Jul 2001
83 Posts
Nightfighter - no problem!

Hello Steve,
you can built the model like the plan, because the Do 335 nightfighters looked like this:

A second cockpit for the radar operator was inserted behind the normal cockpit.
This plane was finished under French control as the Do 335 V17 (Werknr. 240 313) and crashed in 1947.
All the two-seaters with the hooked up cockpit were tainers. They were to slow for combat.
Someone started to call them nightfighters after the war, but in the second cockpit was no radar equipment, just the teacher...
You might find some more infos here: http://www.nefkom.net/elektroflug/ .

Martin
Do 335 is offline Find More Posts by Do 335
Old Feb 01, 2008, 05:30 PM
Canada, ON, Kingston
Joined Mar 2004
2,455 Posts
I found this thread while reviewing some of my old posts. I switched over to Small Flying Arts to finish this model, and anyone interested can see it here: http://www.smallflyingarts.com/cgi-b...m=1169221063/0

Steve
Old Feb 01, 2008, 06:53 PM
B for Bruce
The 'Wack, BC, Canada
Joined Oct 2002
10,889 Posts
I've always thought that the magic of the Do 335 was in the idea of only using one motor. Running the motor between the two prop hooks means no torque at all to deal with. And that way there's only one motor to wind.
BMatthews is offline Find More Posts by BMatthews