SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jan 02, 2007, 11:35 AM
Spektrum Dev Team
United States, IL, Champaign
Joined Apr 2002
1,087 Posts
Discussion
succeess!!! first FPV flights are too much fun!!

thanks to Anthony RC for his fantasitic head tracker, it adds such an awsome element to flying, it is hard to describe how cool it is. I used a slow stick for the initial tests, I haven't decided for sure what I want to do for my next attempt. I am a very accomplished fixed and rotary winged pilot but flying FPV is incredibly hard. by the end of my first charge I was able to take off and fly around below tree level within the confines of the park and land all by video. I found it much easier to climb a bit and fly around, but then its hard to tell where you are and where you're going... I am having so much fun!!!
I have an all new appriciation for VR flyer's videos now that I am doing it myself. thanks VR flyer for the inspiration
sorry no video for now, my cobbeled together setup still does not have provisions for recording...yet
aaronredbaron is online now Find More Posts by aaronredbaron
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 02, 2007, 12:45 PM
The Colony, Tx
Joined Sep 2004
93 Posts
Congrats on your first solo! I would like to use my Slo-Vee for my intial tests. Could you list your components and maybe a pic or two of your set-up?
igiveup is offline Find More Posts by igiveup
Old Jan 02, 2007, 01:02 PM
Switzerland
Joined Sep 2004
1,143 Posts
Glad it worked well for you :-)

Did you sling the camera under the 'stick', or above it?
AnthonyRC is offline Find More Posts by AnthonyRC
Old Jan 02, 2007, 01:30 PM
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Jan 2005
5,320 Posts
Congratz! Just remember practice makes perfect
typicalaimster is online now Find More Posts by typicalaimster
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: I was bored
Old Jan 02, 2007, 04:15 PM
Spektrum Dev Team
Joined Apr 2002
1,087 Posts
I am using a black widow 200mw transmitter, iTheater HMD, anthony's head tracker with a 9C. the camera is a $40 cheapo from supercircuits.com I have the camera mounted on top, just behind the leading eadge of the wing.
Old Jan 02, 2007, 05:22 PM
Switzerland
Joined Sep 2004
1,143 Posts
With the slowstick, it is also interesting to suspend the camera below the plane, just in front of the undercarriage. This gives you a great view of what you are flying over, for higher altitude flights.
You really need to put something in the camera's view if you do this though, to let you know when you are looking straight ahead. For this I just mount a piece of piano wire vertically below the motor mount.
AnthonyRC is offline Find More Posts by AnthonyRC
Old Jan 02, 2007, 07:47 PM
Just trying to get a nut.
United States, VA, McLean
Joined Oct 2006
6,428 Posts
Congrats!

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronredbaron
I am a very accomplished fixed and rotary winged pilot but flying FPV is incredibly hard.
An OSD of altitude & airspeed helped me transition from big aircraft to my FPV EZ*. Still hard, but good enough to get me my flying fix.

Also, try a wide FOV (90 deg +)black and white camera, and see what you think.

Quote:
sorry no video for now, my cobbeled together setup still does not have provisions for recording...yet
I use a cheap Aiptek MPVR to record.
scrtsqrl is online now Find More Posts by scrtsqrl
Old Jan 02, 2007, 10:12 PM
Live FPV or Die
Montreal,Canada
Joined Feb 2002
3,963 Posts
Well done, I'm glad to see another one flying this way, it's so cool!
VRflyer is online now Find More Posts by VRflyer
Old Jan 02, 2007, 10:55 PM
ob1
Southeast TN
Joined Jan 2006
580 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by scrtsqrl
An OSD of altitude & airspeed helped me transition from big aircraft to my FPV EZ*.
What OSD do you use?...and what provides the source for the altitude and airspeed values?
Thx...
ob1
ob1 is offline Find More Posts by ob1
Old Jan 03, 2007, 02:42 PM
Spektrum Dev Team
Joined Apr 2002
1,087 Posts
I actually own a decent camcorder with a firewire connection, so all I need to record is a video splitter, I only have one output on my video receiver... I have heard its not good to just split the video line with a "Y"
Old Jan 03, 2007, 03:09 PM
Happy FPV flyer
United Arab Emirates, Dubai
Joined Sep 2006
4,779 Posts
Quote:
I actually own a decent camcorder with a firewire connection
The important point is to have an analog video input too.
Kilrah is online now Find More Posts by Kilrah
Old Jan 03, 2007, 03:59 PM
Spektrum Dev Team
Joined Apr 2002
1,087 Posts
it has an analog video input... I can record from an outside source... I just can't "get it in the loop" with what I have
Old Jan 03, 2007, 05:24 PM
Elmhurst, NY (Queens in NYC)
Joined Apr 2004
7,050 Posts
Quote:
I actually own a decent camcorder with a firewire connection, so all I need to record is a video splitter, I only have one output on my video receiver... I have heard its not good to just split the video line with a "Y"
A "Y" will work in a pinch, and I've used them. I got a four output splitter from this guy.

http://www.mp3playerstore.com/stuff_...ries/VA-14.htm

I am not crazy about the outfit, but I've heard here, and probably there also, that you can find similar devices on eBay for about the same price. The klutz at this place had it shipped via DHL with a note: "Hold for pickup." Since the DHL office nearest me was about an eighty mile round trip I called DHL and they said they would have to check with the shipper!

I got it later the same day, but that was bizarro stupid and I've heard that its the norm for that outfit.

Anyway, use a Y connection until you get the splitter. It works but some people think it degrades the signal. I'd rather get the video degraded than not at all. And yes, I've done it with just a Y and I am happy I got the flight recorded.

Pete
PeteSchug is offline Find More Posts by PeteSchug
Old Jan 03, 2007, 05:32 PM
67N2F
Menomonee Falls, Wisconsin
Joined Dec 2005
229 Posts
I had previously posted this in the AP forum...

I had the same experience with mp3player.com when I tried to order the video amp. I even emailed and finally called them in an attempt to get around having to fax or email a copy of my CC (ain't happening). They were rude and uncaring so I cancelled my order.

I finally found this from electrogalaxy.com...

BVAM5 from electrogalaxy.com

Digging a little deeper I found that for the same low price I could order this from Amazon.com, who I trust and have made many non-RC purchases...BVAM5 from Amazon.com

I placed the order with Amazon and, as usual, got my stuff in a couple of days. I was surprised to see that what I received was this...

Boss Audio AM5
In my search for a video amp I had seen this one for sale on many sites but it was listed for $45USD so I was surprised to see this show up. They do have the same part number and I think the only difference is the metal vs. plastic case, but I am very happy to have received what I did.

So, in summary, I ordered the BVAM5 from Amazon.com thinking it would be the one shown in the first picture and received the one shown in the second picture

Your results may vary.

Hope this helps,
Rob
robmoll is offline Find More Posts by robmoll
Old Jan 03, 2007, 05:33 PM
Happy FPV flyer
United Arab Emirates, Dubai
Joined Sep 2006
4,779 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteSchug
It works but some people think it degrades the signal. I'd rather get the video degraded than not at all.
If all the devices in the "chain" are conforming to the standard, video level amplitude will be divided by 2, darkening the image a lot. Some devices will adjust for it, some simply won't display any image (some camcorders like Panasonic ones tend to be picky on the signal quality and will smply ignore it).
Kilrah is online now Find More Posts by Kilrah