HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 01, 2007, 07:39 PM
Plane Crazy
Cincinnati, OH
Joined Feb 2003
1,058 Posts
Question
GWS P38 Boom mount screws too short?

Has anyone else who has tried to build the GWS p-38 noticed that the boom mount screws are too short? I mounted everything per the manual and when I went to screw on the booms I noted that the screws are too short and do not meet the nut assembly mounted in the wings. The screw is around 35 mm long and looks like it is about 5 mm too short.

Everything is mounted as it should be as far as I can tell. I tested the screws and they thread easily enough into the nut assembly when not going through the booms, but when I try to put it through the booms, the screws are just too short. Anyone know where I can get longer metric screws that will fit the nut?
cincy is offline Find More Posts by cincy
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 01, 2007, 08:14 PM
Ship first, Improve often
Virginia
Joined Apr 2005
5,008 Posts
I just glued everything together. Saved a lot of weight lol.
L0stS0ul is offline Find More Posts by L0stS0ul
Old Jan 01, 2007, 10:04 PM
Glenn
United States, WI, Oconto Falls
Joined Jan 2004
2,751 Posts
I just looked at mine and when the screws are tight there just about coming through the nut. Could it be that the black plastic piece that you put in the hole first is either not fully seated or you have put it in upside down? I've gone to the hardware store (true value) and got metric screws and stuff before.
wellington53 is offline Find More Posts by wellington53
Old Jan 01, 2007, 10:16 PM
Plane Crazy
Cincinnati, OH
Joined Feb 2003
1,058 Posts
Thanks for the feedback. I thought it may be that things are not seated but I have verified that everything is full seated in both booms. I'll take a look at the nearest hardware store tomorrow, otherwise I may just go ahead and glue them to the wings. Has anyone else used the screws to mount the booms and if so were they long enough? Seems to me that the screws should be longer than is necessary versus just barely long enough or not long enough at all.
cincy is offline Find More Posts by cincy
Last edited by cincy; Jan 02, 2007 at 12:15 AM.
Old Jan 02, 2007, 01:07 AM
Fort Collins, Colorado, USA
Joined Dec 2005
7,821 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cincy
Thanks for the feedback. I thought it may be that things are not seated but I have verified that everything is full seated in both booms. I'll take a look at the nearest hardware store tomorrow, otherwise I may just go ahead and glue them to the wings. Has anyone else used the screws to mount the booms and if so were they long enough? Seems to me that the screws should be longer than is necessary versus just barely long enough or not long enough at all.
I had the same issue with my kit. Screws were too short. I found some metric screws that could have worked, but decided to glue the booms in place. Saved weight and its still easy to fit in my vehicles(aka 2000 Trans Am or Hummer H3)
kahloq is offline Find More Posts by kahloq
Old Jan 02, 2007, 04:49 PM
Suspended Account
Grove City PA basement/park
Joined Feb 2005
4,884 Posts
Collect hardware.

One of the first things I did in this hobby is yo stock all the common metric and english sizes. When one gets low, I get more. Gotta have this stuff. I've always been a hardware fanatic. If you loaded all the hardware I have in this house into your car, you'd blow the tires and springs and be sitting on the ground. Nice to have stuff around.

Bill
scratchandbash is offline Find More Posts by scratchandbash