HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 31, 2006, 01:53 PM
Joined Nov 2005
39 Posts
Discussion
Rechargeable lipo battery recharges in only one minute

I'm not sure if people have already been aware of this or not... but here is the article:
http://www.file22.com/?p=57

The company’s new battery can recharge 80% of a battery’s energy capacity in only one minute, approximately 60 times faster than the typical lithium-ion batteries in wide use today, and combines this fast recharge time with performance-boosting improvements in energy density.

The new battery fuses Toshiba’s latest advances in nano-material technology for the electric devices sector with cumulative know-how in manufacturing lithium-ion battery cells. A breakthrough technology applied to the negative electrode uses new nano-particles to prevent organic liquid electrolytes from reducing during battery recharging. The nano-particles quickly absorb and store vast amount of lithium ions, without causing any deterioration in the electrode.

The excellent recharging characteristics of new battery are not its only performance advantages. The battery has a long life cycle, losing only 1% of capacity after 1,000 cycles of discharging and recharging, and can operate at very low temperatures. At minus 40 degrees centigrade, the battery can discharge 80% of its capacity, against 100% in an ambient temperature of 25 degree centigrade).

Toshiba will bring the new rechargeable battery to commercial products in 2006. Initial applications will be in the automotive and industrial sectors, where the slim, small-sized battery will deliver large amounts of energy while requiring only a minute to recharge. For example, the battery’s advantages in size, weight and safety highly suit it for a role as an alternative power source for hybrid electric vehicles.

Toshiba expects that the high energy density and excellent recharge performance of the new battery will assure its successful application as a new energy solution in many areas of society.
Deltad is offline Find More Posts by Deltad
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 31, 2006, 01:58 PM
Southern Pride
Haralson County GA. USA
Joined Oct 2004
34,741 Posts
Well A123 cells which are in use in many applications can be charged in 3 minutes

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showa...mentid=1109034

so perhaps a 1 min. charge is possible but at what cost life wise, from what state of disscharge and where would an RCer get the mega amps. required to do so ,especially at a typical flying site.

Quote:
Toshiba will bring the new rechargeable battery to commercial products in 2006.
2006 is quickly coming to a close so what are they being used in right now?

Charles
everydayflyer is offline Find More Posts by everydayflyer
Old Dec 31, 2006, 08:17 PM
Bowling Green, OH
Joined Aug 2004
119 Posts
Just imagine the current required to charge a pack at 60c. For a 2000mah, it would require 120amps.
kschauwe is offline Find More Posts by kschauwe
Old Dec 31, 2006, 09:21 PM
Pompano Hill Flyers
Miami Lakes, Florida, USA
Joined Mar 2003
8,485 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by everydayflyer
2006 is quickly coming to a close so what are they being used in right now?
Right, it's been a year and nine months now. Time's almost up!

http://www.toshiba.co.jp/about/press/2005_03/pr2901.htm
Miami Mike is offline Find More Posts by Miami Mike
Old Dec 31, 2006, 09:33 PM
PGR
Low AltiDude
United States, CA, Costa Mesa
Joined Jun 2004
7,920 Posts
Even if I could only have one battery pack to fly all my planes with, I can't imagine why I'd want to be able to charge it in one minute.

"Course there was a time (when I was new to the hobby) when I thought I had to have a plane in the sky every moment I was at the field, but that was many moons ago.

Pete
PGR is offline Find More Posts by PGR