Closed Thread
Old Dec 31, 2006, 01:45 PM
Given up counting
Bicester, UK
Joined Sep 2005
2,372 Posts
Discussion
Multiplex EasyStar 2007 A discussion of anything Easy Star and sometimes more

Hello And Welcome To the thread, Multiplex Easy Star 2007.

EasyStar 2006 had >6830 postings. This is a much talked about plane. And the people here are very nice too. It's like a family or sub-community.

There's rarely been a cross word or falling out in the EasyStar community. This is EasyStar 2007, and a few of the guys suggested I start off the new year with a new thread. So here we go. Tough act to follow though. Brandie started out 2006 so well and set exactly the right tone, which I wish to continue.

EasyStar pilots, owners and fanciers have been discussing this amazingly versatile, easy to fly plane here on RCGroups since August 2003.

Many people have taught themselves to fly with this plane. It is an excellent beginner's plane. I taught myself to fly with an EasyStar - it survived my crashes and now I use it for aerial photography and other stuff.

It's a great plane for relaxing with when you get more advanced too. There's a big fun factor in flying an EasyStar.

I've ripped this straight from last year's thread because Brandie put it so well...

"From time to time you will see other "off topic" items come up. From the weather where I live is..., to I am getting married tomorrow and I..., to I am thinking about this other plane and I am wondering... That is because this forum has become like a large family.

So come and join in on the fun.

Welcome to the family, the family of EZ owners."

I look forward to reading your posts and discussing EasyStars and other stuff with you.

Alex Eames

Modifications

The EasyStar has had virtually every possible modification done to it.

* rudder enlargement
* wheels for road landings
* lights for night flying
* transformation into a hotliner
* brushless motor (Mega 16/15/4 & Warp 4-4 turn are popular drop-in replacements, both with APCe 6x4 prop)
* twin motors
* vectored thrust motors
* rocket power boost
* floats
* ailerons
* parachute drops
* aerial photography
* aerial video

Useful Links

Searchable PDF file with all 22 threads up to June 2006 courtesy of JediKnight

Sarge's EasyStar build and modification thread

Brandie's Elapor soup method of repairing the elapor foam that EasyStars are made of

EasyStar fan site - many mods

My video links, many of which are EasyStar videos

Here are the previous 22 Threads.

Multiplex Easy Star 2006 #22 - A discussion of anything Easy Star and sometimes more
Multiplex Easy Star Thread #21 - What more can I say??
Multiplex Easy Star Thread #20 - The plane that gives so much and ask so little!
Multiplex Easy Star Thread #19 - Loved and respected by Beginners and Seasoned Flyers
Multiplex Easy Star Thread #18 - Voted By Owners To Be The Best Airplane Ever
Multiplex Easy Star Thread #17 - The biggest trilogy ever!
Multiplex Easy Star Thread #16 - The Greatest Trainer Ever Created
Multiplex Easy Star Thread #15 - The New Generation
Multiplex Easy Star Thread #14 - Better'n sliced bread!
Multiplex Easy Star Thread #13 - Epic Adventure
Multiplex Easy Star Thread #12 - Ongoing Saga
Multiplex Easy Star Thread #11 - The Next Generation
Multiplex Easy Star Thread #10 - Part 10
Multiplex Easy Star Thread #09 - Part 09
Multiplex Easy Star Thread #08 - Part 08
Multiplex Easy Star Thread #07 - Part 07
Multiplex Easy Star Thread #06 - Part 06
Multiplex Easy Star Thread #05 - Part 05
Multiplex Easy Star Thread #04 - Part 04
Multiplex Easy Star Thread #03 - Part 03
Multiplex Easy Star Thread #02 - Part 02
Multiplex Easy Star Thread #01 - Part 01 - New from Multiplex: EasyStar
alexeames is offline Find More Posts by alexeames
Last edited by alexeames; Jan 04, 2007 at 02:04 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 31, 2006, 01:58 PM
Part-Time Super Hero
Aberystwyth, UK
Joined Sep 2004
3,289 Posts
WOW Well done my friend.

Thought old Alex would do a good job.

Here's looking forward to another great year of EZ madness.

Mark
MarkJayne is offline Find More Posts by MarkJayne
Old Dec 31, 2006, 02:16 PM
Now Wren 1701
Wren, MS
Joined Jul 2005
1,325 Posts
Greetings and thanks for starting out the new year!

Alan
Wren1702 is offline Find More Posts by Wren1702
Old Dec 31, 2006, 02:26 PM
Santee, CA.
Joined May 2006
376 Posts
EasyStar vectored flat spin landings like a helicopter

I just posted a video in the Vid Gallery of some landings you dont see everyday for the EasyStar!

I always wanted to do this since sticking a motor on a servo. No damage on the landings so far (although this will not be the standard landing approach).

A larger than normal download but worth the wait...

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showa...mentid=1118105

Happy New Year!
santeepat is offline Find More Posts by santeepat
Old Dec 31, 2006, 02:33 PM
Joined May 2006
8,113 Posts
Woo hoo!

Good job Alex. Happy 2007.

You crazy santeepat.
Socomon is offline Find More Posts by Socomon
Old Dec 31, 2006, 04:24 PM
Buyin', Tryin' and Flyin'
DFW, Texas
Joined Jan 2005
2,283 Posts
Subscribed...to another year of the "EasyStar novel", which I look forward to reading every day.

-Hilgert
hilgert is offline Find More Posts by hilgert
Old Dec 31, 2006, 04:36 PM
Climb,turn,roll,loop,soar
Springfield,Ma. USA
Joined Jun 2006
3,608 Posts
Awesome, just awesome start of a new thread,thanks Alex!
And a very Happy New Year to all EZ* fliers (Owners).full of many happy landings
Today during landing roll out then a quick take off hit a mole hill and riped the landing gear off my Ultra mini stick sucks.......I think I`ve fixed it don`t have problems like that with an EZ*
Joe
Joeknight is offline Find More Posts by Joeknight
Old Dec 31, 2006, 04:57 PM
Space Coast USA
Space Coast
Joined Oct 2000
20,277 Posts
Motor Mount Mod-
Since a brushless motor was a possible future mod, I wanted a way to change the motor without damaging the plane.
The mount is simply a piece of aluminum automobile license plate with holes cut for ventilation and the motor securing screws.
3 flaps wrap around the planes motor housing and the mount secured to the plane with silicone adhesive/cauking. The silicone joint can be
broken/cut easily if replacement is necessary.
A large diameter soda straw straight through the body allows the motor wires to be removed with ease. The existing groove needed to be enlarged.
hoppy is offline Find More Posts by hoppy
Old Dec 31, 2006, 05:10 PM
Mendocino,CA
Joined Nov 2006
41 Posts
Greetings and Happy New Years
Well I'll start off by being the first guy to have a difficulty in 2007.

A short bio- I'm a newbie, started with an AA..Next step EZ..My first real plane.
Wife bought me EZ star RTF 3 weeks ago, been sitting under the tree since Christmas day. In anticipation, a few forumites helped me plan for my maiden (Big thanks to Blaze 45 (Chris) . I bought a couple of spare packs, downloaded the video how to solder deans. Soldered the new batteries, ESC and charger.
Velcroed wings and cockpit. Taped fuselage and velcroed cockpit. I tested my COG, searched for an adequate place to fly (I am a Park Ranger who lives in a park but unfortunately (For flyings sake) am surrounded by giant Redwood, Oak and Fir trees. I think I will be able to eventually fly her here just not yet

So I performed my pre flight and noticed my rudder servo When centered would move fine all the way left but when moved to the right it would freeze and "Chatter". Jonesing to fly the plane I figured maybe I could trim the rudder to half way in between my workable area..
It didn't work
Ended up on the roof of the high school Gym.
After recovery and 5 or 6 more attempts the plane would just take a hard right turn and eventually end up crashing.
Broke off the elevator flap and was done for the day.
Got home and CA'd the flap back on but it is kind of stiff.

My LHS who ordered the plane for me is closed (today) so I don't know if they will replace the servo as I think it must be defective. Should this be covered by hitec?

Is there an easy fix for the servo and since I will be taking it out of the plane it looks as though it's glued in pretty good. Any suggestions how to best accomplish that?

My other main concern reading through the voluminous threads on the EZ is how it pretty much states you need a lot of space to fly it (3-4 football fields). Do you think that doing the rudder mod would enable me to fly in say a one football field size area?

My fantasy for now is to rig her for AP and use it to surveil over the park looking for dope gardens. Then I could apply for a grant, build a squadron of EZ's for use throughout the state and ultimately work full time as the agency recon RC pilot....

I know ...Pipe dream

Thanks for everyones expertise and input.. I have learned loads here and appreciate the help!

Happy New Years!

Pat
monkeywrencher is offline Find More Posts by monkeywrencher
Old Dec 31, 2006, 05:24 PM
Given up counting
Bicester, UK
Joined Sep 2005
2,372 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeywrencher
My other main concern reading through the voluminous threads on the EZ is how it pretty much states you need a lot of space to fly it (3-4 football fields). Do you think that doing the rudder mod would enable me to fly in say a one football field size area?
As long as you have a reasonably clear approach, once you have learned how to fly the plane one football field will be enough to take off and land. After all you do your flying in the air. Trees may cause different problems with air turbulence etc, but once you get significantly above tree height you should be OK.

For learning you want as big an open space as you can find. People's opinions vary about the rudder mod. I did it and never looked back. But some people prefer stock rudder with more throw (movement).

Without seeing your setup I couldn't really comment on the servo issue.
alexeames is offline Find More Posts by alexeames
Old Dec 31, 2006, 05:34 PM
Gilroy, Ca
Joined May 2003
44 Posts
What plane in RealFlight matches the EasyStar?

Happy New Year to a whole new set of "internet buddies"!!!
I have real flight G2 and will be getting my EasyStar next week and want to practice as much as possible on the sim.
I have looked at all the planes in the Add-on packs and can't find anything that I consider a match.
What is everyone else using?
Also is it worth updating to G3?

Thanks
RC
rogerc is offline Find More Posts by rogerc
Old Dec 31, 2006, 05:55 PM
Buyin', Tryin' and Flyin'
DFW, Texas
Joined Jan 2005
2,283 Posts
Same question as rogerc, but for FSOne (which I got for a Holiday gift). I don't think there is a direct replacement, but I believe the E-flite Ascent (at least in FSOne) would be close since it is a RE (rudder-elevator) plane with dihedral wings (but the prop is on the front instead of on top).

-Hilgert
hilgert is offline Find More Posts by hilgert
Old Dec 31, 2006, 06:16 PM
RC Bum
Riverside, CA
Joined Apr 2006
1,494 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeywrencher

So I performed my pre flight and noticed my rudder servo When centered would move fine all the way left but when moved to the right it would freeze and "Chatter". Jonesing to fly the plane I figured maybe I could trim the rudder to half way in between my workable area..
It didn't work
Rarely does. If it ain't right, it doesn't get better by flying it.

Quote:
Broke off the elevator flap and was done for the day.
Got home and CA'd the flap back on but it is kind of stiff.
Not sure I follow here. If the elevator was ripped off, you can't just glue it back on along the hinge line. Your best bet would be to clean off the remaining hinge material between the horizontal stab and the elevator, then install the elevator with tape or with hinges, e.g. CA hinges. Tape is easiest. If you haven't done it before, the best bet would be to go here, download the instructions for the Squirt 400 or Aero Stik and install a tape hinge the way he describes.

http://www.stevensaero.com/shop/home.php?cat=254

It's easy and very effective. I use it on most of my planes.

Quote:
My LHS who ordered the plane for me is closed (today) so I don't know if they will replace the servo as I think it must be defective. Should this be covered by hitec?
It does happen, but those servos are pretty reliable. You might make sure the servo arm is centered when the servo is at neutral (radio on, trim at zero). Also make sure the servo moves freely with no binding throughout its range.

Quote:
Is there an easy fix for the servo and since I will be taking it out of the plane it looks as though it's glued in pretty good. Any suggestions how to best accomplish that?
If my recommendations above don't solve the problem and you need to remove it, I believe it is only held in with double sticky tape so it should pull out with a little careful persuasion. I pulled a servo out of a Minimag from the other side. I just poked a phillips screwdriver through the opposite servo pocket all the way through the fuselage againt the back side of the servo and pushed the servo out! Saved a lot of prying from the front side.

Quote:
Give yourself a break when you are learning and get as much treeless space as you can find. After a few flights you will be confident enough to fly it at partial throttle on a football field. After a couple of dozen flights, you can fly it in a baseball infield.

Quote:
My fantasy for now is to rig her for AP and use it to surveil over the park looking for dope gardens. Then I could apply for a grant, build a squadron of EZ's for use throughout the state and ultimately work full time as the agency recon RC pilot...I know ...Pipe dream
Yes, a pipe dream 'cuz in Mendocino and Humboldt Counties you don't need AP to find dope gardens. They grow the stuff in planters under the front windows.

Happy New Year, Pat. Enjoy the ES. It is destined to be a classic. It's easy to learn from and responds well enough to a few mods to make it a favorite when you are more experienced.

Eric
Eric_N57105 is offline Find More Posts by Eric_N57105
Old Dec 31, 2006, 07:40 PM
SLC, Utah
Joined Dec 2005
414 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hilgert
Same question as rogerc, but for FSOne (which I got for a Holiday gift). I don't think there is a direct replacement, but I believe the E-flite Ascent (at least in FSOne) would be close since it is a RE (rudder-elevator) plane with dihedral wings (but the prop is on the front instead of on top).

-Hilgert

My LHS has it and I haven't tried all the planes, but the J3 seems close to me.
I have noticed that if you fly the J3 slow and low and turn, that it will fall out of the air like the EZ* if you stall it.
jwilliam is offline Find More Posts by jwilliam
Old Dec 31, 2006, 07:50 PM
Minimag Pilot
Sussex, UK
Joined Sep 2006
90 Posts
Happy New Year everyone. Good old easystar thread is still growing.
markdeacon is offline Find More Posts by markdeacon
Closed Thread