HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 31, 2006, 09:26 AM
Swieqi Malta
Joined Nov 2005
264 Posts
Build Log
Dumas Trojan F-31 UPDATED WITH MORE PIC

Hello Everyone

Finally I have some time to post the building log of my Dumas Trojan F-31 with some alterations to my liking.

Special thanks to Cold Duck, Empirebuilder & U163665. I watched and learned a lot from your Threads, and I must say that if it wasn’t for your help I wouldn’t have finished this model as it should.

I must say that this kit is not an easy one to assemble. The Instructions are not so good. I Suggest that Dumas re do the instruction on this kit.

As you will see I had some quality problems with the wood used to fabricate this kit, from my experience with Dumas kits (Chris Craft commander Express) I was under the impression that the wood chosen by Dumas to make their kits was of premium quality. But judging from my Trojan kit I was wrong. Dumas please be careful with the quality of the wood you choose.u
shipcollector5 is offline Find More Posts by shipcollector5
Last edited by shipcollector5; Jan 02, 2007 at 06:27 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 31, 2006, 10:27 PM
Straight up is all I ask
Fairfield Ct USA
Joined Apr 2002
2,314 Posts
Those old kits of 70's vintage die crunching are a bit of a challenge . It's tough to go back after laser cutting has spoiled you
jmolwitz is offline Find More Posts by jmolwitz
Old Jan 01, 2007, 09:39 AM
T-ride!, Co @ 9545' ASL
Joined Jan 2003
739 Posts
Nice! How long have you been working on the model?
RCheroske is offline Find More Posts by RCheroske
Old Jan 01, 2007, 10:42 AM
Ft Hood, TX
Joined Dec 2006
11 Posts
I started my first kit this weekend, also a Dumas, and yours looks much nicer then mine That looks awesome!

I couldn't believe how bad the instructions in a Dumas kit, nor how bad the wood was. The dies they used to press the wood are shot to say the least.
M1 Tanker is offline Find More Posts by M1 Tanker
Old Jan 01, 2007, 02:34 PM
Joined Nov 2005
196 Posts
Great Work!!

Beautiful work on a difficult kit. You absolutely "nailed" the hard chine, which isn't easy to do. Please keep showing us your progress on an exceptional build. I couldn't agree more with your observations on Dumas' selection of wood and instructions. You probably know that I covered a lot of their splinters with veneer. Looking forsward to seeing her in the water and in motion.
Cold Duck is offline Find More Posts by Cold Duck
Old Jan 01, 2007, 03:21 PM
Monterey Bay California
Joined Feb 2004
13,790 Posts
Don't get me wrong, I like all of my Dumas kits and will continue to buy them if they are interesting subjects but the die cut mahogany is total st !!!

On a positive note, your Trojan is looking very nice Shipcollector! I like the Graupner I/O's- are those still in production?
Aerominded is offline Find More Posts by Aerominded
Old Jan 01, 2007, 05:34 PM
Joined Aug 2005
230 Posts
Another Trojan Yacht Masterpiece

Shipcollector,
Looks great! Thanks for the mention at the top of the thread. It's great to see folks building this boat and going the extra mile of detail, like your walnut planking of the deck.

The Graupner Z Drives look awesome driving that boat. I imagine they will have some power when your yacht is finally commissioned.

Keep us up to date, and I'll add progress pics as I make any progress. I think most of the boats started after the launch of my thread are completed and clocking sea miles while mine sits in drydock awaiting final completion schedule
empirebuilder is offline Find More Posts by empirebuilder
Old Jan 02, 2007, 12:40 AM
Swieqi Malta
Joined Nov 2005
264 Posts
More Dumas Trojan PIC

Here more pic hope you enjoy
Stephen
Last edited by shipcollector5; Jan 03, 2007 at 11:16 PM.
Old Jan 02, 2007, 01:25 AM
Swieqi Malta
Joined Nov 2005
264 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCheroske
Nice! How long have you been working on the model?

All summer, I started in May, ended (as you can see not totally finished) end September

Stephen
Old Jan 02, 2007, 01:29 AM
Swieqi Malta
Joined Nov 2005
264 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerominded
Don't get me wrong, I like all of my Dumas kits and will continue to buy them if they are interesting subjects but the die cut mahogany is total st !!!

On a positive note, your Trojan is looking very nice Shipcollector! I like the Graupner I/O's- are those still in production?

Yes they are art # 1985 Z Drive 600

Stephen
Old Jan 02, 2007, 08:10 AM
Archbald, PA
Joined Mar 2006
39 Posts
Beautiful.....great work.
bub9797 is offline Find More Posts by bub9797
Old Jan 02, 2007, 10:19 AM
Grumpa Tom
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Sep 2003
22,865 Posts
Perfecto!

Quote:
Hand rail , i need more of those dumas ends , can anyone help please.
Since you are obviously very talented and capable, you should consider casting your own parts maybe?

http://www.hobbyengineering.com/SectionBM.html
Kmot is online now Find More Posts by Kmot
Old Jan 02, 2007, 10:29 AM
Swieqi Malta
Joined Nov 2005
264 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kmot
Perfecto!

Since you are obviously very talented and capable, you should consider casting your own parts maybe?

http://www.hobbyengineering.com/SectionBM.html

Hello Kmot

Yes you are correct, maybe I would be able to do my own casting. But at the moment I prefer to get them ready. I already tried to contact Dumas, They didn’t reply. I should give Dumas another try.

Stephen
Old Jan 02, 2007, 12:31 PM
Submarines, etc.
Arvada, Colorado
Joined May 2005
1,574 Posts
it is best to call Dumas on the phone...
tsenecal is offline Find More Posts by tsenecal
Old Jan 02, 2007, 01:03 PM
Monterey Bay California
Joined Feb 2004
13,790 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by shipcollector5
Yes they are art # 1985 Z Drive 600

Stephen
Thanks Stephen!!!

Your Trojan really looks great on the water!
Aerominded is offline Find More Posts by Aerominded