Old Dec 30, 2006, 10:49 AM
Guangzhou Baiyun, China
Joined Dec 2003
441 Posts
Discussion
About JK SLS install in a 6.6m Nimbus 4

Hi, Happy new year!
I just got my JK SLS and it is great!
All information are in German. Do you have any information in English? Any pics may give me great help.
The JK SLS needs a extra servo for the locking mechanism. Do I really need to install the hook to lock the folded unit?

Thanks
Zhaokun Deng
Zhaokun Deng is offline Find More Posts by Zhaokun Deng
Last edited by Zhaokun Deng; Mar 06, 2007 at 12:21 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 30, 2006, 12:47 PM
bie
maidenflight-postponer
Germany
Joined Oct 2004
789 Posts
Hi,

though I don't have a JK-SLS, but a friend of mine has got one in his 6-meter-ASH-26. As far as I know his SLS has no hook.

Maybe you got a newer version (his is about one year old) or you ordered one with the "Kunstflugsicherung" ("aerobatics security lock") as an extra. This keeps the SLS in position even when going inverted or doing an some aerobatics.

On JK-Klapptriebwerke you find no device like the one you showed in the picture, but the "Kunstflugsicherung" is listed as an option to be ordered.

Regards,

Andy
bie is offline Find More Posts by bie
Old Dec 30, 2006, 09:42 PM
USA, DE, Newark
Joined Sep 2001
127 Posts
Are these SLS units available in the United States?

Bill
billg is offline Find More Posts by billg
Old Dec 31, 2006, 12:24 PM
Joined Dec 2006
4 Posts
Wonderful SLS, have you bought it directly from JK Germany ?
Bye
Giovanni
Ultimate60 is offline Find More Posts by Ultimate60
Old Dec 31, 2006, 12:38 PM
Guangzhou Baiyun, China
Joined Dec 2003
441 Posts
Hi Giovanni,
I got it directly from JK, but need to wait for 8 weeks after paying and 20 more days for delivery.

Andy,
I check dictionary, that the hook is for the aerobatic security purpose and i did not know it is an option. JK writes all items in my order list in German.

KUN
Last edited by Zhaokun Deng; Dec 31, 2006 at 02:01 PM.
Old Dec 31, 2006, 12:57 PM
Joined Dec 2006
4 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zhaokun Deng
Hi Giovanni,
I got it directly from JK, but need to wait for 8 weeks after paying and 20 more days for delivery.

Andy,
I check dictionary, that the hook is for the aerobatic security purpose and i did not know it is an option. JK writes all items in order list in German.

KUN
On which glider are you going to use it (how much does it weight ?)
which engine are you going to use ?
bye
Giovanni
Old Dec 31, 2006, 01:59 PM
Vintage wood is the best!
In a house
Joined Sep 2002
2,851 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultimate60

which engine are you going to use ?

I would assume the one he posted the picture of............
SZD16 is offline Find More Posts by SZD16
Old Dec 31, 2006, 01:59 PM
Guangzhou Baiyun, China
Joined Dec 2003
441 Posts
Hi Giovanni,
I will use the JK SLS on my hkm 1/4 Nimbus 4, 6.6 m wingspan. It is about 9kg without the power train. The motor is shown in my pics, it is the Plettenberg HP 300/30/A2 5:1, with 30 cells.
Kun
Old Jan 01, 2007, 09:34 AM
Joined Dec 2006
4 Posts
Quote:
Hi Giovanni,
I will use the JK SLS on my hkm 1/4 Nimbus 4, 6.6 m wingspan. It is about 9kg without the power train. The motor is shown in my pics, it is the Plettenberg HP 300/30/A2 5:1, with 30 cells.
Kun
Hi Kun,
sorry I didn't see all your attachments.
Just some more questions, as I am waiting for some answer directly from JK:
1) which is the weight of your sls. Is it a K10Z ?
2) Which is your propeller (diameter and pitch) ?
Bye and happy new year !!!!!
Old Jan 02, 2007, 12:51 AM
Guangzhou Baiyun, China
Joined Dec 2003
441 Posts
Hi Giovanni,

I ordered a K10 according to the specification in JK website and I told them that I would use it in a 1:4 HKM Nimbus 4. And they confirmed that my order should be a "K10-G7" and so on.

I don't know what is the meaning of " G7". Maybe different motor will be with different mount.

I choose Plettenberg HP300/30/A2 5:1 because its "lightweight" and buy it also from JK. I order a 20*13 propeller and it comes with a mechanism to insure to fold the propeller when you pull back the throttle.

I do not know the exact weight of my SLS, i will put it in a electric scale later(my mother in law takes my scale to her home to make cake).

KUN
Old Jan 02, 2007, 08:22 AM
F3B enthousiast!
Czech Republic, South Moravian Region, Brno
Joined Oct 2002
1,404 Posts
Hi,

Quote:
Originally Posted by billg
Are these SLS units available in the United States?
You can only buy this SLS direct from JK in Germany.

Quote:
I don't know what is the meaning of " G7". Maybe different motor will be with different mount.
I beliebe Gr.7 stands for the size of the torsion bars.I think K10 stands for the size (and shape) of the overall mechanism.
From what I've seen, it seems a K10 Gr.7 is good for gliders from 10 to 14 Kg AUW.

Quote:
I choose Plettenberg HP300/30/A2 5:1 because its "lightweight" and buy it also from JK.
I too went for this motor for the exact same reason. 335gr vs. 500gr for an LRK able to deliver such power levels.

Those who are not bothered about additional weight (and looking to save money on the motor) might consider an LRK for this application as when the pylon is in "locked in" position,the distance between the CG and the motor is about the same (or less) than the distance between the CG and the glider's nose; meaning that an extra 165gr in the motor would result in an extra 165gr needed in the nose to balance the plane = 330 gr all together...

It is recommended to run an RFM 20x13 with the K10 Gr.7. Therefore, the LRK should be chosen to pull around 45/50A with that prop and 8s LiPos (or 28 NiCd/NiMh cells).

Quote:
I do not know the exact weight of my SLS
My K10 Gr.7 with the HP 300/30/A2 5:1 mounted on it weighs in at about 840gr, hence about 500gr for the pylon as pictured in Kun's photos.

Kun,

I do not know why you are not going to use a sequencer but I strongly recommend it. You'll have 4 servos (including the locking device, + the throttle channel) to manage for the SLS only.

The sequencer I'm getting is currently being modified to suit JK's SLS best: the locking device you were asking about will be included in the sequence.I'm not sure if this locking device really is necessary but I'm going to fit it to be on the safe side.

I've started working on the SLS and am hoping to finish its assembly in my Ventus 2cxM this month as I now have all the gear for it (only the sequencer is missing but it should be there mid-January).

I've been told some english instructions are being prepared, but in the meantime, all of us have to try and make some sense of the German instructions (that can only be understood by a German person doing some A/C modelling because they're so specific - it helps to have loads of German guys in Toulouse )

Guillaume
guillaume83 is offline Find More Posts by guillaume83
Last edited by guillaume83; Jan 03, 2007 at 02:46 AM.
Old Jan 02, 2007, 11:52 AM
bie
maidenflight-postponer
Germany
Joined Oct 2004
789 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by guillaume83
...all of us have to try and make some sense of the German instructions (that can only be understood by a German person doing some A/C modelling because they're so specific - it helps to have loads of German guys in Toulouse )

Guillaume
... or maybe have someone being from Germany on the forum, who is willing to help...

Andy
bie is offline Find More Posts by bie
Old Jan 03, 2007, 03:59 PM
F3B enthousiast!
Joined Oct 2002
1,404 Posts
Guys,

if anyone fancy a late Christmas present, I have a JK SLS for sale

Why? Because there is no way if will fit in my Ventus 2cx from HF, it's too big!

I'm going to have to close the SLS doors that were cut, then look for a different SLS and cut some new doors...looks the Kratt OHG SLS might do the job, I've seen one fitted in the exact same model as mine.

So if you want to jump the queue (about 1.5 months wait I believe), feel free to PM me Obviously, it is brand new, unpacked only (I've got the Plettenberg motor too).

Sorry for the off-topic.

Guillaume
Old Jan 04, 2007, 02:55 PM
Joined Dec 2006
4 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by guillaume83
Guys,

if anyone fancy a late Christmas present, I have a JK SLS for sale

Why? Because there is no way if will fit in my Ventus 2cx from HF, it's too big!

I'm going to have to close the SLS doors that were cut, then look for a different SLS and cut some new doors...looks the Kratt OHG SLS might do the job, I've seen one fitted in the exact same model as mine.

So if you want to jump the queue (about 1.5 months wait I believe), feel free to PM me Obviously, it is brand new, unpacked only (I've got the Plettenberg motor too).

Sorry for the off-topic.

Guillaume
Hi,
which kind of SLS is and how much are asking for it ?
bye
Giovanni
Old Jan 04, 2007, 04:06 PM
F3B enthousiast!
Joined Oct 2002
1,404 Posts
Hi Giovanni,

it's the same as Kun's (actually, Kun got the same as me )

But I think I've found a way to get it to fit...it'll be tight and I'll have to be accurate in the positioning in the fuse, but it will fit I need to get a different retract though...so I am going to keep it for the moment.
I'll let you know if I change my mind.

You can see the assembly of my Ventus in this thread , and hopefully, the assembly of the JK pylon soon.

Kun: make sure you draw your Nimbus 4 fuselage's edges on a paper and see where to fit the SLS so you do not experience the same issue as me.

Guillaume