Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Apr 29, 2008, 02:36 PM
2012 NZ Speedcup - 231 MPH
New Zealand, Tasman, Richmond
Joined Mar 2006
1,942 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by soundman
It is possible - but I think you'll have problems with the fuz, particularly the canopy area. I think you would be better off altering the construction a little so there is no bending/forming required....if you're not familiar with the MiniTOC have a search for it. It's a balsa plane - but I think you could build the silent mite from 6mm EPP in the same way. It would take very little modification to build it that way - use the dotted fuz outline on the plan to cut the sides, and remove the curved portions of the fuz formers so - then you will need to cut a triangular piece for the top of the canopy/nose area.....I don't think you'll suffer any structural issues from this either.
Thanks this sounds promising!

I checked out the MiniTOC. Nice plane... the video of it flying is amazing also. But I like your design Soundman, it looks better IMO. I'll go for yours I think and try and figure out a way to bend as much as possible... I have read a few threads where people heat form EPP somewhat so this might be possible. The only concern I have is my lighest battery is around 100g (3s 1200), so I might end up with a plane that weighs ~300g. Should be OK?

[Edit - again] Check out this post - it definitely is possible to mould EPP, so I think I will try it!

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...&postcount=172
DownUnderPilot is offline Find More Posts by DownUnderPilot
Last edited by DownUnderPilot; Apr 29, 2008 at 09:28 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 30, 2008, 01:40 AM
Norfolk, UK
Joined Jul 2002
595 Posts
I didn't mean you to go and build the MiniTOC - just use the same construction method for the fuz.

The rear of the fuz will form like that very nicely - I still think that you are going to have problems with the canopy/nose area.

It will be a tad on the heavy side, but should still fly ok - it'll be more pattern rather than 3D I think...You could add an extra inch or two to the wing span to help combat the increased wingloading.
soundman is offline Find More Posts by soundman
Old Apr 30, 2008, 03:44 AM
Joined Mar 2006
1,942 Posts
Quote:
I didn't mean you to go and build the MiniTOC - just use the same construction method for the fuz.

The rear of the fuz will form like that very nicely - I still think that you are going to have problems with the canopy/nose area.

It will be a tad on the heavy side, but should still fly ok - it'll be more pattern rather than 3D I think...You could add an extra inch or two to the wing span to help combat the increased wingloading.
Oh I re-read your post.. apologies for my mis-understanding there about the MiniTOC.

As far as the canopy goes I have mastered vacuum moulding clear canopies (finally!) so that might be the best option - certainly it's light and looks very good.

The extra wingspan is a great idea. I don't mind the lack of 3D as primarily I want this plane to master aerobatics and become proficient with the use of a rudder on my left stick.
Old May 11, 2008, 03:16 PM
Joined Mar 2006
1,942 Posts
Well I built it and it went together very nicely with 6mm - even the canopy area!

AUW came to around 300g (~10oz). Flew brilliantly and with the 100+ watt motor I have it has plenty of power. Only issue is wing flutter at higher speeds, so I plan to upgrade the carbon spar to a beefier one which should help. I'll post pictures later on in the week...

She will do everything I ask - rolls, inverted, loops, knife-edge, even hover (if I was good enough to do it). Can be slowed down to a crawl as well

Thanks SoundMan!!! A great flying model and easy to build too
Old May 12, 2008, 02:34 AM
Norfolk, UK
Joined Jul 2002
595 Posts
excellent stuff - glad to hear it went together ok....I'll be interested to see the pics - did you extend the wing in the end?
Old May 12, 2008, 02:55 PM
Joined Mar 2006
1,942 Posts
Quote:
excellent stuff - glad to hear it went together ok....I'll be interested to see the pics - did you extend the wing in the end?
Yes I added 2" to each side. Actually you don't even notice the extra but it adds approx 16 sq inches to the wing area.
Old May 14, 2008, 07:44 PM
Joined Mar 2006
1,942 Posts
Here she is...
Old May 26, 2008, 08:03 AM
Norfolk, UK
Joined Jul 2002
595 Posts
Ah - she looks great....fuz looks a little more chunky - but thats to be expected.

I'm glad to see another Silentmite in the air!
Old May 26, 2008, 02:46 PM
Joined Mar 2006
1,942 Posts
Yep she's a super little plane. In fact at the moment I enjoy flying this one the most. All of my other planes fly at about 2x the speed of the Mite.

I had a great laugh on the weekend when I was flying her - at high alpha with a tiny bit of rudder input she was wing rocking around in circles of around 10m in diameter. Looked cool
Old May 28, 2008, 11:03 AM
Joined Apr 2006
20 Posts
Well, here's my Mite. Built it about a year ago, but he's still going strong.

Made all from 3mm and 6mm depron, plans were great and everything went together very good. Recently I widened and gave the wing some profile. Glued on another layer of 6mm depron and sanded it to profile.

Test flew it Sunday. Everything went great and the plane flew very good. No graphics added to it still tho.
Thank you Soundman for the great plane!
ownesser is offline Find More Posts by ownesser
Old May 28, 2008, 11:10 AM
Norfolk, UK
Joined Jul 2002
595 Posts
nice - I quite like the look of it with the deeper wing....is it more solid in hover now?
Old May 28, 2008, 11:14 AM
Joined Apr 2006
20 Posts
The setup that I have there is a bit underpowered, so i cant tell you that. I can tell you that it is a lot more stable with the new wing.
ownesser is offline Find More Posts by ownesser
Old Jun 20, 2008, 03:46 PM
Joined Mar 2006
1,942 Posts
50% Mite

Hey Soundman - I hope you don't mind but I did a 50% version!

Had a 10g outrunner lying around and I enjoyed building the full sized mite so much I thought "what the hell"!!!!

Here she is, posted in the 5 and 10g thread.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...=5#post9995045

Flies just like the 100% version. Almost exactly the same actually
Old Oct 09, 2008, 12:17 AM
Joined Feb 2006
29 Posts
Putting one together now

Hey all. Thanks soundman for the great plans, I have tweeked them a bit but it will be my first EPP build. I was wondering if a spare park 300 that I have laying around will be enough for it? I think so. I will try to get some pictures up as it goes together.

Thanks again
power67 is offline Find More Posts by power67
Old Oct 09, 2008, 02:22 AM
Norfolk, UK
Joined Jul 2002
595 Posts
I've not used a park 300 - but a quick look at the specs tells me it should work perfectly if your weight is similar to mine (6.5oz - 182g).