SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Aug 10, 2007, 07:56 PM
Joined Apr 2006
84 Posts
Mighty Mite - Awesome build - Thank you

Soundman,

Your EPP build was a little light for my needs so I made it a bit bigger and then used some block EPP foam from computer shipping boxes for the main fuze. I also beefed up the bulkheads to 9mm EPP and used 6mm for the skin.

I also used Blu Core for the wing and tail feathers. I don't like how flexible the EPP is even when strengthened with CF

I used your build guide and I really love the way it all turned out.

Thank you, Thank you, Thank you.

Here are my final specs - strictly outdoors.

Wing Span - 36 inches
Length - 34 inches
Weight (minus batt.) 17 oz.
Motor - HiMax 2816-1220
Prop - 10 X 5
Batt. Common Sense 100mAh 20c or TP 2070mAh 25c
FlynAZ is offline Find More Posts by FlynAZ
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 11, 2007, 04:28 AM
Norfolk, UK
Joined Jul 2002
595 Posts
That looks pretty good, nice to see a bigger version - How does she fly?
soundman is offline Find More Posts by soundman
Old Aug 11, 2007, 06:27 AM
gpw
“There’s no place like Foam”
United States, LA, New Orleans
Joined Jul 2002
24,156 Posts
"think the reasons why this thread didn't pick up are partly due to the off topic waffle on the first couple of pages & the fact that it is a more involved build than many others -"
We'll never bother you again ...
gpw is online now Find More Posts by gpw
Old Aug 11, 2007, 11:23 AM
Joined Apr 2006
84 Posts
Too much flex

Just got back from my maiden. The HiMax motor is plenty for this plane. The big problem is the wing flex. I had considered building it originally with a 3D wing but wanted to follow your build guide as close as possible. If I keep it a 1/4 throttle she flys smooth. I didn't see your ailerons on my set of plans so I just added my own. Going back I see yours are a bit wider than mine. I also feel that there is a bit too much rudder.

Modifications: I'm going to replace the single Blu Core wing with a 3D(full) wing and bigger ailerons and keep the dual servos for the ailerons. I am also going to trim down the rudder about an inch.

I expect to add about an ounce or two to the final weight. Power won't be an issue after watching it rocket straight up.

The combination of your EPP skin wrapping and the use of the EPP packing blocks for the fuze looks like the best of both worlds for me. It gives the plane plenty of strength and keeps it lite. The finished full fuze look is great.

Thanks again and I look forward to some of your future plans.
Old Aug 11, 2007, 11:46 AM
Norfolk, UK
Joined Jul 2002
595 Posts
The roll rate on mine is great - roughly 2-3 rolls/sec.

I did start drawing up a approx 36" full 3D wing version some time ago - never got round to finishing it....I don't have the time or the right level of interest to do it at the moment, maybe I'll get round to it one day.

note - I think on the enlarged version I also reduced the rudder on the drawing as it looked to be too much area....on the smaller version it works great & knife edges really nicely.
Old Aug 11, 2007, 07:45 PM
Joined Apr 2006
84 Posts
38 inch wing

Soundman,

I'm working on the 3D wing right now - 38 inches. The hard part is going to be removing the flat wing without damaging the fuze and then getting the wing cutout the same on both sides. Everything else will stay the same.
I'll post the pix when I'm done.

I'd like to do something similar but with a lower wing that is removable. The idea being that the EPP block and sheet foam fuze will be virtually indestructible but the Blu Core wing could be replaced with out too much work.

I've been trying to build full fuze blu core but have not had much success bending the foam. Your build is certainly simple and comes out awesome.

How difficult would it be to cut out the cockpit area and use a plastic bottle type clear cockpit?
Old Aug 12, 2007, 03:46 AM
Norfolk, UK
Joined Jul 2002
595 Posts
You could easily make up a plastic canopy for it - you may need to add a little bracing to help it keep its shape though.

On cutting the wing out - try making paper templates for the upper & lower profile of the new wing (with the original wing taken into account!) - draw round these on both sides of the fuz with the wing still in place & cut it away...should work quite nicely.
Old Aug 12, 2007, 12:03 PM
Joined Apr 2006
84 Posts
3D wing results...

Soundman,

I couldn't just replace my wing with the new 3D wing as you described because I re-enforced the mid keel on your build with some CF to give the tail some stiffness. I ran the CF the length of the keel. So I had to cut the fuze out without damaging the keel and cutting through the block foam. I made a template from blu core for the cutout and it all worked good.

The 3D wing made a big difference in the flight. It has a very good glide ratio now with no wing flex at all. Now I've got to add some down degree to the motor thrust because she wants to constantly climb under power.

The wing is 38 inches long now and 11 inches at the core. Seven inches at the tip. I also made my ailerons larger and trimmed down the rudder about 1 inch.

It now weights in at a whopping 17.5 ounces (only a .5 oz difference) much better than I had expected. I still need to do some patch work on the fuze so it looks pretty again

Here are some pix of my end results.

Thanks again for all your help and great build.
Old Aug 13, 2007, 12:49 PM
Norfolk, UK
Joined Jul 2002
595 Posts
Nicely done - should fly pattern type moves nicely with that wing on it now.
Old Oct 03, 2007, 11:16 PM
teched88
SW PA
Joined Feb 2007
347 Posts
very nice FlyinAZ
teched88 is online now Find More Posts by teched88
Old Apr 15, 2008, 11:33 PM
United States, TX, Missouri City
Joined Aug 2007
56 Posts
i think ill return this one from the dead.this is the best epp thread ive seen,8 pages does it no justice at all. the great pdf build guide, perfect plans in full page form and in tiled.
dystracted is offline Find More Posts by dystracted
Old Apr 16, 2008, 02:30 AM
Norfolk, UK
Joined Jul 2002
595 Posts
Thanks - the original Silent Mite is still alive and well. It can still occasionally be spotted flying over the UK countryside. I hope you build one as it flies as good as it looks with no nasty suprises...its a true point it in a direction & it'll fly there model.
Old Apr 16, 2008, 02:57 AM
D'oh.. Dumb Left Thumb
London, UK
Joined Nov 2006
5,398 Posts
Wow.... long time no post Soundman..Welcome back
dekan is offline Find More Posts by dekan
Old Apr 28, 2008, 08:49 PM
2012 NZ Speedcup - 231 MPH
New Zealand, Tasman, Richmond
Joined Mar 2006
2,061 Posts
I'm thinking of building one of these - would it be possible to buld one entirely from 6mm EPP? I don't have access to 3mm...
DownUnderPilot is offline Find More Posts by DownUnderPilot
Old Apr 29, 2008, 03:16 AM
Norfolk, UK
Joined Jul 2002
595 Posts
It is possible - but I think you'll have problems with the fuz, particularly the canopy area. I think you would be better off altering the construction a little so there is no bending/forming required....if you're not familiar with the MiniTOC have a search for it. It's a balsa plane - but I think you could build the silent mite from 6mm EPP in the same way. It would take very little modification to build it that way - use the dotted fuz outline on the plan to cut the sides, and remove the curved portions of the fuz formers so - then you will need to cut a triangular piece for the top of the canopy/nose area.....I don't think you'll suffer any structural issues from this either.