HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 11, 2007, 07:08 AM
Flyin Fiend
The Smokys
Joined Nov 2006
27 Posts
This plane looks like a great!! Do you guys think 20 turn cdrom motor will be enough power using 400mah 2S?? Good job on the plans soundman very well thought out!
J_Dawg is offline Find More Posts by J_Dawg
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 11, 2007, 09:35 AM
Norfolk, UK
Joined Jul 2002
595 Posts
Glad you like it - nice to see another finally make it into the air!
soundman is offline Find More Posts by soundman
Old Feb 11, 2007, 09:43 AM
Norfolk, UK
Joined Jul 2002
595 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by J_Dawg
This plane looks like a great!! Do you guys think 20 turn cdrom motor will be enough power using 400mah 2S?? Good job on the plans soundman very well thought out!
I'm using a double stator cdrom motor on mine with 3s 360 - I have bundles of power.

My original plan was to use a 24T single stator on 3s with an 8x4.3....but the motor I wanted to use couldn't be located at the time of building (missing in action somewhere!).

I don't know how much power you get from your 20t cdrom motor, as motors vary a LOT. I think it will fly it ok - but I doubt you'll get explosive pull out from hover. If you can keep the build light I'm sure you would get an acceptable setup that would fly more patterny than 3D....a 3cell setup would be better IMHO.
Old Feb 11, 2007, 12:38 PM
Dismembered Member...
Niagara Falls/Toronto area
Joined Dec 2003
4,536 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by me_wantee
I need to work out a way to stiffen up the rear of the fuse some more though. It gets spat out of knife edge when the fuse bends.
Some bi-di tape on the fuse doubler would certainly help this. Trying to add it after the plane is built could prove to be a tad difficult though...
arx_n_sparx is offline Find More Posts by arx_n_sparx
Old Feb 13, 2007, 02:22 PM
Estonia
Joined Sep 2005
216 Posts
a guy from our country made your plane out of depron. So its proven, that you can build it out of depron Started the build myself today
tann200 is offline Find More Posts by tann200
Old Feb 13, 2007, 06:37 PM
Crash Master
Indianapolis, IN
Joined Sep 2001
16,632 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by me_wantee
I need to work out a way to stiffen up the rear of the fuse some more though.
Just taping or gluing some rods on the sides will help. Strapping tape on the outside might, but not as pretty as the inside. Just don't make it so strong something else has to give in a crash
Gene Bond is offline Find More Posts by Gene Bond
Old Feb 13, 2007, 07:17 PM
Joined Jan 2006
2,404 Posts
Try this to stiffen it
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/attac...mentid=1177008
a piece of CF at bottom and pieces running from tob/bottom of tail. A CF rod at the hinge line also helps. It makes the tail of my 16" bipe very stiff, which I like. you can do it post-build by sharpening the end of the rod and twisting it in then secure w/thin CA.
-Mike
stanordave is offline Find More Posts by stanordave
Old Feb 13, 2007, 07:52 PM
Not a Doctor
Australia, NSW, Sydney
Joined Aug 2006
6,917 Posts
I stiffened it up with more carbon and took it for another rip this morning.
It really is a great flying plane. It handles high alpha better than 95% of the planes I've had. I've got a mate who's VERY hard to impress.
Even he said it flew well.
me_wantee is offline Find More Posts by me_wantee
Old Feb 14, 2007, 12:25 AM
Norfolk, UK
Joined Jul 2002
595 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tann200
a guy from our country made your plane out of depron. So its proven, that you can build it out of depron Started the build myself today
Any chance of getting a photo so we can see it? I'd be interested to see if he's made any alterations - particularly to the canopy area.

With regards to the stiffness of the tail - mine was stiffer than any other EPP 3D type plane that I've had/flown before, there is still a little flex there - but just enough to give in the case of a crash.
Old Feb 14, 2007, 06:42 AM
Estonia
Joined Sep 2005
216 Posts
depron silent mite

The photo is taken from estonian forum: http://foorum.pistik.com/viewtopic.p...r=asc&start=20
and the modellers user name is pipercub.
Old Feb 14, 2007, 07:35 AM
Norfolk, UK
Joined Jul 2002
595 Posts
Thats quite an impressive bit of work with the depron around the canopy - i bet that was quite tricky...i think it may be a bit heavier than mine, but should still fly nicely!
Old Feb 14, 2007, 12:33 PM
Estonia
Joined Sep 2005
216 Posts
the worst part is that the depron wants to crack lengthwise. So its good to use some tape over the bending area and use a heat blower, when bending. Not that far myself yet, but i think thats how its doabel
Old Jun 04, 2007, 08:07 AM
Jacksonville FL
Joined Dec 2006
33 Posts
Any video

Do you have any video of this plane. I love the look and was wondering why there is not much activity on this thread. Maybe if people could see one in action it would generate more interest.
230@10 is offline Find More Posts by 230@10
Old Jun 04, 2007, 08:26 AM
Norfolk, UK
Joined Jul 2002
595 Posts
I'm not able to do a video at the moment as I don't have the time - but I hope to do one in the future....I may be able to do a very basic video soon if I can find the time.

I have been flying the Silent Mite recently outdoors for the first time - I love it & really like its responsive controls, it really is a point it where you want it type plane and flies very cleanly.

I think the reasons why this thread didn't pick up are partly due to the off topic waffle on the first couple of pages & the fact that it is a more involved build than many others - also that it uses EPP sheet is also a slight stumbling block for some I think as its not always easy to get hold of...but I think its worth the effort
Old Jun 25, 2007, 04:13 PM
Maryland, USA
Joined May 2004
2,641 Posts
Soundman,

Thanks for sharing your design. This plane is very similar to another design made in depron, called the Pink Star. Here is a link to the build thread, if you want to see his depron building method. I bought the pdf plans a while back, but haven't built anything yet.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=184991
Kwok_Yu is offline Find More Posts by Kwok_Yu