HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 12, 2007, 01:20 AM
Norfolk, UK
Joined Jul 2002
595 Posts
look at the tiled plans - that has all the info on it, thicknesses & ailerons - ailerons are an 85mm strip cut to length (as written on the tiled plan).

Post some pics when you can - would like to see how it goes with depron.
soundman is offline Find More Posts by soundman
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 12, 2007, 02:03 AM
Norfolk, UK
Joined Jul 2002
595 Posts
I have modified the single page version to include the missing parts & extra info - sorry not sure how those got missed.
Old Jan 12, 2007, 08:17 AM
Umm....Yeah....
Joined Jan 2007
9 Posts
Excellent. Thanks.
I Hope to make a little progress this weekend. I am short some radio gear so it may hold me up a little. I will try to get done as much as I can without it. I am no 3D pilot, but I wanted a plane that actually looked like a plane and would fly with a hot CD motor. Yours is about the only one that fit the bill. I plan on starting with reduced throws. I also want to try and find a way to strengthen and stiffen without carbon fiber. That stuff is just too expensive. Any ideas on that?
New Foamie Guy is offline Find More Posts by New Foamie Guy
Old Jan 14, 2007, 05:31 PM
nøtterøy, NORWAY
Joined Mar 2006
1,171 Posts
Here my version..

I had some difficulties as I only had 5mm EPP. It was almost impossible for me to assemble the fuselage without severe twist...

The solution was to glue the fuselagesides together at the bottom.. worked nicely for me. I also left the radiogear-area open for easy access.

Here are some pics.

Maiden ASAP

Kim.
kimhey is offline Find More Posts by kimhey
Old Jan 15, 2007, 01:31 AM
Norfolk, UK
Joined Jul 2002
595 Posts
Excellent stuff - that looks great! I can't see any twist in the photo's so it can't be that bad

What power setup have you put in it?
Old Jan 15, 2007, 05:55 AM
nøtterøy, NORWAY
Joined Mar 2006
1,171 Posts
What power setup have you put in it?[/QUOTE]

Power is an AXI 2205/54 with 8X4 prop. Using 3s1p 450 mah, have some 300 mah for better performance. AUW with 450 mah is 197 grams. A bit on the heavy side, but that´s due to the notoptimum-radiogear.
Plane empty weighted in at 76 gram.. about 20 grams more than my similar Depronbuilt planes. That is just fine with me, considering the durability of EPP..

Kim.

PS. This nicelooking plane was THE reason for me to try EPP. Have been reluctant earlier, feeling EPP was too flexing. But no problem at the speed and wingloading of these types of planes
Thank you SoundMan..
kimhey is offline Find More Posts by kimhey
Old Jan 15, 2007, 06:11 AM
Norfolk, UK
Joined Jul 2002
595 Posts
That has turned out at a very similar AUW to mine then - I didn't use the lightest gear possible either, flies great....you will also find that it harriers very nicely as well so you can crawl round at a very slow speed.

I think mine weighed around 68g empty - so very close there as well, not bad considering that you used the 5mm for the fuselage sides.
Old Jan 15, 2007, 10:22 AM
USA, FL, Orlando
Joined May 2003
7,977 Posts
Since I,m in South America on vacation, I havenç´t played with anything in 2 months. This looks like the perfect choice for me to attempt. Thanks!
taekwondo is offline Find More Posts by taekwondo
Old Jan 16, 2007, 06:37 PM
Estonia
Joined Sep 2005
216 Posts
But what the downsides would be when building out of depron? I have access only to 4mm depron plates? cant find any epp sheets here where i live.
tann200 is offline Find More Posts by tann200
Old Jan 17, 2007, 01:27 AM
Norfolk, UK
Joined Jul 2002
595 Posts
It wouldn't survive crashes as well, I would imagine the fuselage will be hard to make. I don't know how well depron would join edge to edge (butt join) - & curving the canopy & nose area would be very tricky I think.

You may be better off building it as a box or triangular type fuselage with depron without the curves....if your trimmed the top of the fuselage sides to the inner dotted line on the plan & used the constructions method that you liked.....the rest of the plane should work fine.

Maybe build the fuselage something like this:

or
Old Jan 17, 2007, 07:46 AM
Estonia
Joined Sep 2005
216 Posts
thanks for the tips soundman. Ill go and visit some more construction shops to see whether they have EPP. I really like your design.
tann200 is offline Find More Posts by tann200
Old Jan 17, 2007, 10:49 AM
USA, FL, Orlando
Joined May 2003
7,977 Posts
I started my build. Well I got the plans and glued them to the plate, ready to start cutting, but the material I got is not epp or depron, in fact, not sure what it is since I got it in a store for arts. I don´t know if it is the best material. but since it´s a play plane, not too worried.
Henry
Old Jan 17, 2007, 10:57 AM
Norfolk, UK
Joined Jul 2002
595 Posts
Sounds interesting....is it stiff or flexable....any backing?
Old Jan 17, 2007, 11:07 AM
USA, FL, Orlando
Joined May 2003
7,977 Posts
It kind of looks like cardboard, but in a plastic material. It is red although it came in different colors. It might be suitable for the fuselage, but I don´t know about the wing. I also bought some balsa at the store, so maybe I can reinforce a couple of pieces of balsa. I havent been able to locate ca which is my favorite building cement in s.a. Yes to answer your quetion, there is backing on both sides with a corrugated center section and it is mostly stiff, although you can in one direction kind of roll it.
Old Jan 17, 2007, 12:18 PM
Norfolk, UK
Joined Jul 2002
595 Posts
ah that sounds like correx, also known as coroplast - it gets used a lot for making Spads....glows really nicely if you put LEDs inside the white or clear stuff.

You should be able to make it with that - it'll be heavier & need some modification, but should work.