SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Apr 04, 2009, 09:36 AM
Canadian Bacon
Kingston, Canada
Joined Jun 2004
13,173 Posts
Flew mine a couple of weeks ago and works great. Adding paint today. I went for the light version using Blue Arrow servos at 3.7 grams ea. Hobby King 18-11-2000KV 10 gram motor swinging a 7-3.5 prop, Zippy 430MA batt.,landing gear with liteply wheels, 9mm EPP for fuse and 6 for wings. LE and TE of wing has carbon fibre strips for stiffness. firewall is 3/32 liteply set back 1/2 in from the front of the fuse. I cut pie shaped pieces out of the front and folded them in and hot glued to curve it in at the front, somewhat like a spinner. Completely built with hot glue. AUW is 6.2 oz or 176 grams. Giving it another toss at the indoor funfly tomorrow.

Gord
flypaper 2 is online now Find More Posts by flypaper 2
Last edited by flypaper 2; Apr 04, 2009 at 09:43 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 04, 2009, 12:28 PM
I Love My Ember!
Arroyo Grande, CA
Joined Jun 2008
1,099 Posts
How are you managing to get 176g of thrust out of that motor? I Have that motor wound with 12t of 28g microdan wire, and it only pulls about 160g with a 6030. And that is pushing that motor to its limits. Please tell me how yours is wound, or is your plane just not that powerful?
mikebergy is offline Find More Posts by mikebergy
Old Apr 04, 2009, 01:06 PM
Canadian Bacon
Kingston, Canada
Joined Jun 2004
13,173 Posts
Hi Mike: That's the all up weight of the plane. Motor is stock. Running the 7 in. prop on a 3 cell 430 ma batt. I have a homade thrust meter but never tried the motor on it.

Gord.
Old Apr 04, 2009, 10:46 PM
LaSalle, Illinois
Joined Sep 2007
476 Posts
I hope your built up wing works out better than mine did Mike. Not that it turned out bad, just didn't help with the slow flight. Worked out better at speed, but I don't spend much time flying at higher speed.

Any chance you could post a pic of your nose job Gord?

Sterling
yardboz1 is offline Find More Posts by yardboz1
Old Apr 04, 2009, 11:33 PM
Canadian Bacon
Kingston, Canada
Joined Jun 2004
13,173 Posts
Fraid I don't have a working camera right now Sterling. I sliced back in maybe 1/2 an in. took a small slice out of it, pushed it together to check it. Took another slice till I was satisfied with the curve, then hot glued it together. Try it on some scrap and I think you'll like the results.
Old Apr 05, 2009, 03:31 AM
Plane and multirotor's - FPV
Moss, Norway
Joined Jun 2007
856 Posts
New maiden

Hi

I maiden my second Mite yesterday, beautiful !!!!!!!!!!
I did make the wing aprox. 1" wider across span.
It hoovers at 1/2 throttel, but i'm going to try a 8x6 for more vertical
speed
How are you on down and right thrust ???
I maiden with the motor strait, but i had to trim here down, but
thats no good when inverted

She's like a drilldit on full Ail, but can go hands off if i want here to

Wery happy

Kai
DrEvil is offline Find More Posts by DrEvil
Old Apr 05, 2009, 05:28 PM
I Love My Ember!
Arroyo Grande, CA
Joined Jun 2008
1,099 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flypaper 2
Hi Mike: That's the all up weight of the plane. Motor is stock. Running the 7 in. prop on a 3 cell 430 ma batt. I have a homade thrust meter but never tried the motor on it.

Gord.
I don't think I have run mine on 3s... Are you able to hover with that setup?
Old Apr 05, 2009, 05:38 PM
I Love My Ember!
Arroyo Grande, CA
Joined Jun 2008
1,099 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by yardboz1
I hope your built up wing works out better than mine did Mike. Not that it turned out bad, just didn't help with the slow flight. Worked out better at speed, but I don't spend much time flying at higher speed.

Any chance you could post a pic of your nose job Gord?

Sterling
From your pics, it looks like your airfoil is a bit thicker than mine is. I am running a fully boxed double foam spar setup, with a minimal amount airfoil curvature. I am going for the no carbon approach; I loaded 600g at the wingbox, and had little to no wingflex. THis setup should help with the wing's torsional rigidity tremendously; that is my main reason for this type of build. After all, that is why the fuselage is built the way it is, right? It is a great design method, and should fly just as slow as the flat wing, provided I keep the weight down.
Old Apr 05, 2009, 06:55 PM
Canadian Bacon
Kingston, Canada
Joined Jun 2004
13,173 Posts
Flew her indoors today. Hovers on the first part of the batt. then it dtops off. On two cells it's an animal . Need to lengthen the landing gear as it takes to long a run with a low angle of attack. May add a couple of ins. to the wing tips as it seems to lack for area and does that wing wobble in hover. Will fine with a bit more tweaking.

Gord.
Old Apr 05, 2009, 08:35 PM
I Love My Ember!
Arroyo Grande, CA
Joined Jun 2008
1,099 Posts
Quote:
Flew her indoors today. Hovers on the first part of the batt. then it dtops off. On two cells it's an animal . Need to lengthen the landing gear as it takes to long a run with a low angle of attack. May add a couple of ins. to the wing tips as it seems to lack for area and does that wing wobble in hover. Will fine with a bit more tweaking.

Gord.
Try tapering the aileron tips a little bit; it wobbles in hover, or in harrier? Put a little exponential in your radio if you can - try about 20-30%. Tapering is the old school way of dialing in expo though, it should take a little of the twitchiness out.

If it is an animal on 2s, it must be an absolute BEAST on 3s.
Old Apr 05, 2009, 09:25 PM
Canadian Bacon
Kingston, Canada
Joined Jun 2004
13,173 Posts
Yeah Mike, used to taper the ails in like that back in the 70s to help keep from tipstalling. The air going from high pressure on the bottom to low pressure on top is what caused it. Must be a fad today as you see it quite a bit of tips tapered out on the indoor pattern planes.
Old Apr 06, 2009, 02:39 AM
I Love My Ember!
Arroyo Grande, CA
Joined Jun 2008
1,099 Posts
Quote:
Yeah Mike, used to taper the ails in like that back in the 70s to help keep from tipstalling. The air going from high pressure on the bottom to low pressure on top is what caused it. Must be a fad today as you see it quite a bit of tips tapered out on the indoor pattern planes.
It's not a fad... it just works
Old Apr 07, 2009, 01:11 AM
I Love My Ember!
Arroyo Grande, CA
Joined Jun 2008
1,099 Posts
Note to anyone building this with foam board like elmers or rediboard from the dollartree - Sand down the fuselagea bit until that "skin" is gone on both sides of the sheet. This will make it almost flexible enough to roll like EPP. It is still a ROYAL PAIN to roll the top of the fuse around the formers, so I would definitely recommend using a rolling pin or pipe or something to precurve the top of the fuselage before trying to glue it to the formers. I had one heck of a time getting it rolled, but it finally went. When I make another one of these, I am also making the fuse out of one pieace, rather than gluing the two halve together, as the glue is not necessarily a great joint for this particular foam. I am using a strip of micropore down the top of the plane to keep everyone happy.
Old Apr 29, 2009, 08:57 PM
I like EPP
Victoria BC Canada
Joined Sep 2005
186 Posts
an other mite

I finally finished mine , it little chubby due to 6mm fus, so I increases the wing to 32" and weight in at 8oz with 3c 360mah, it fly amazingly very smooth and gentle.
here is what I got in there:
Custom CD single cool wind
2- 5 gr servos( cheap from hobby king)
1- GWS pico
Thunder B 9 ESC
Stamp light Receiver.
Rhino 3c 360mah( lot of power, but only last 5min)
Rhino 2c 620mah( slower, last 10min).
Thanks Soundman.
matk is offline Find More Posts by matk
Old May 13, 2009, 05:31 AM
Norfolk, UK
Joined Jul 2002
595 Posts
Its good to see these still being built - some nice innovations & mods coming through now as well.

I bet that built up depron version flies very crisply.

I'm glad you all like the plane.

Tom
soundman is offline Find More Posts by soundman