HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 29, 2009, 03:59 AM
Plane and multirotor's - FPV
Moss, Norway
Joined Jun 2007
855 Posts
Hevy

Hi All

I agree on the Weight no issue comment. . On the video of my Mite i'm flying with a 56gr. hyperion motor and a 2s 2200 zippyR. And it handles fine, i did extended the WS about 2" and tip cord at TE aprox. 1" and she's all 10mm sheets.
That said, she handles even nicer on a light batt, but my smaller ones are week . . . .
I'm at work offshore 6 more days, but when i get home a 6 and 3mm depron Mite is planned, and maby a light 2s 20C, for indoor and calm summer evenings

Best regards

Kai
DrEvil is offline Find More Posts by DrEvil
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 29, 2009, 04:02 AM
Moss, Norway
Joined Jun 2007
855 Posts
To the briliant designer . . .

Soundman, please sheer your plans for a buildtup wing at 36"

Kai
Old Jan 29, 2009, 12:50 PM
Netherlands
Joined Sep 2008
144 Posts
And the fun goes on... Two Mites up in the air. At a very comfortable +2C and winds up to 6m/sec (about 4 Beaufort) and a nice winter sunshine it was a wonderfull afternoon for flying.

Don't mention the people, we're just a bunch of enthousiasts that even fly when it's raining and/or storming.

http://s273.photobucket.com/albums/j...t=MVI_0205.flv
Sleurhutje is offline Find More Posts by Sleurhutje
Old Jan 29, 2009, 02:35 PM
Moss, Norway
Joined Jun 2007
855 Posts
Hi there Sleurhutje

Nice video, and very nice cach with the batt. hanging out

I'm looking forward to getting home to fly the Mite !!

Best regards

Kai
Old Jan 29, 2009, 08:44 PM
LaSalle, Illinois
Joined Sep 2007
476 Posts
Built up wing dimensions are 32" wingspan, 10" root chord and 8" tip chord. Almost same as original except the tip chord's a little bigger. Sweep is only about 1", just made it a little easier for me to make it. 3mm 1.3 EPP skin, used a CF arrow shaft from WalMart ($3.00 on sale !) for the spar and 6mm 1.9 EPP ribs every 2". Kept it very smooth with no bumps from the ribs.

Sterling
yardboz1 is offline Find More Posts by yardboz1
Old Jan 31, 2009, 02:51 PM
LaSalle, Illinois
Joined Sep 2007
476 Posts
Well, here's what I've got so far. Still waiting on the motor so I haven't installed servos yet. Bottom keel is also not in yet. I like to get everything as close to balanced as possible without using the battery. Elevator and rudder are just taped in place, as well as ailerons cause I wanted to get some pics up. Also, gotta have everything cleaned off the dining room table before my wife gets home . One of these days I'll spend a little more time on a paint job, maybe. 32" long, 32" wing span and 118 grams as it sits. I'm hoping to keep it under 9 ounces auw, less than 10 would be a piece of cake.
Planning on using a Suppo 2208-17, which will give me over 21 ounces of thrust with a 9x5 prop.

Sterling
Last edited by yardboz1; Jan 31, 2009 at 04:25 PM.
Old Mar 06, 2009, 03:19 AM
Moss, Norway
Joined Jun 2007
855 Posts
Nice !!

Very nice SM there Sterling !!

Some video when its done ??!! . . . Please

I'm back at work again , but i brought with me some 3mm and 6mm depron and some 6mm balsa for reinforcing the wing.
I'm hoping to build a folded wing version, but it's difficult to find EPP sheets here in Norway.

Good luck on your maiden

Kai
Old Mar 06, 2009, 10:05 AM
LaSalle, Illinois
Joined Sep 2007
476 Posts
No problem Kai. Still waiting on servos, but should have them here next week. Hopefully the weather will cooperate and I can get a maiden in.

Sterling
Old Mar 25, 2009, 09:59 AM
Moss, Norway
Joined Jun 2007
855 Posts
Is this tread dead ?

I'm waiting for some video Yardboz1 !!

I'm adding my new SM build, this one is lighter than the first one....
I'm putting this setup in this one.....
- Rewinded bluewonder, 1700kv(12turn-24awg-star connection).
-towrpro 12A ESC.
-Zippo 1000/800mah. 2s-20C
-htx 500 on Ail. and ele.
-D37-3,7gr. on rudd.
She on 260gr. now, before ESC and recever, including batt.
So i'm hoping for about 290/280gr. AUW. depending on batt. in use.

Kai

Some pics.
Old Mar 26, 2009, 09:59 PM
LaSalle, Illinois
Joined Sep 2007
476 Posts
Sorry about the delay Kai. Weather here has been pretty tough when I'm not working, seems like it's always nice when I'm at work though. I've flown the plane several times however and got it dialed in. Airfoiled wing works much better at higher speeds, but not so much when flying low and slow. Not sure if I'll ever do another one but I'm glad I did this one.
How did you manage to cram 12 turns of 24 awg wire in the Blue Wonder? My hats off to you, best I can manage is 11 turns. Guess I'll just have to keep practicing.
Soon as the weather straightens up I'll get you some video.

Sterling
Old Mar 27, 2009, 01:16 PM
Moss, Norway
Joined Jun 2007
855 Posts
12 turn

Hi Yardboz1

Yea, it was a B..ch !! to get them all in there, lots of muushing and "needles and pins" . . . .
Don't worry about the delay's, i'm a patience man
I cant seem to build light, but this one is much lighter than the first one .
I'm still at work, i'l go home next week on wednesday.
Congrats on your maiden. . . . .

Kai
Old Mar 31, 2009, 04:02 PM
http://drone-pilot.blogspot.fr
Rhone Alps, France
Joined Aug 2008
2,540 Posts
I just built one of these as my first ever Depron build. Can anyone tell me what weight it should come in at if made out of 6mm and 3mm Depron.

Mine has finished with an AUW of just under 300g, which I'm hoping isn't going to be too heavy. Should have plenty of power though, using a 2s 800mAh lipo powering an Emax CF2822 turning a 9x4.7 prop. Seem to be getting about 500g of static thrust.
lovegroove is offline Find More Posts by lovegroove
Old Mar 31, 2009, 09:41 PM
LaSalle, Illinois
Joined Sep 2007
476 Posts
Can't help you with the weight in Depron, all of mine have been EPP. Kai has done several though and if memory serves me correctly I believe most of his have been in that same 300g ballpark. Make sure you post some pics when you get the chance!

Sterling
Old Apr 01, 2009, 06:35 AM
http://drone-pilot.blogspot.fr
Rhone Alps, France
Joined Aug 2008
2,540 Posts
I did a shoddy paint-job and am too embarrassed to post any pics. Had its maiden flight today and it flies really well. There was a quite a stiff breeze and I could pretty much just hover into it at about 1/3 throttle.

I can't believe how slowly you can fly this thing, I was expecting to have to race around the sky to keep it airborne, but it's my slowest plane to date. Still learning 3D as I have only been flying since last October and we've had a winter in between, so not able to do all the fancy aerobatics yet.

I didn't have any ply for the motor, so just glued the motor directly to the foam at the nose. The motor has snapped off when the prop caught the ground on landing, so will have to sort that. Have glued it back on and it's busy drying so that I can go and have another flight.

Also, might try a faster motor with a smaller prop as am having some issues with torque roll. The only motor/prop I had to hand when building it was the Emax 2822 with a 9x3.8 prop. Think I read somewhere that torque roll won't be a problem if the prop is less than a quarter of the wingspan, so will try going down to a 7" prop.

Lovegroove.

P.S. Thanx Soundman for a great set of plans and excellent instruction guide. There's loads of other models I want to build, but am totally lost without a build guide.
lovegroove is offline Find More Posts by lovegroove
Old Apr 03, 2009, 11:10 PM
I Love My Ember!
Arroyo Grande, CA
Joined Jun 2008
1,099 Posts
I use old starbucks cards as motor mounts on all my planes, because they are free. They work just about as well as ply, and you can sandwich foam between two cut out cards for a lightweight laminate if you need the extra strength.

I am in the process of building my Mite with a built up wing out of dollartree foam. I LOVE this stuff. So cheap. I will update with pics as I get them.

- Mike
mikebergy is offline Find More Posts by mikebergy