HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 31, 2008, 08:35 PM
LaSalle, Illinois
Joined Sep 2007
476 Posts
That thing looks fantastic Kai !!!! Can't wait to see a video of it at night!

Sterling
yardboz1 is offline Find More Posts by yardboz1
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 31, 2008, 08:39 PM
LaSalle, Illinois
Joined Sep 2007
476 Posts
Good to see you back on here Tom. Was beginning to wonder if something had happened to you! It is good to see more of these being built. My next one should be finished soon, I hope. And like everyone else, I WILL be watching for the rest of your plans. If they fly half as well as your Silent Mite, they'll be winners.

Sterling
Last edited by yardboz1; Jan 02, 2009 at 05:09 PM.
Old Dec 31, 2008, 09:56 PM
Plane and multirotor's - FPV
Moss, Norway
Joined Jun 2007
856 Posts
Happy Holyday's

Thank you for your cind words Sterling, wis see about the night video....

Best regards

Kai
DrEvil is offline Find More Posts by DrEvil
Old Jan 01, 2009, 04:21 AM
Norfolk, UK
Joined Jul 2002
595 Posts
cor it looks rather tasty with the lights - I always planned on putting lights in one but never got round to it....a video of night flying & of several silentmites in the air would be great to see....nice work chaps.
soundman is offline Find More Posts by soundman
Old Jan 03, 2009, 11:32 AM
Moss, Norway
Joined Jun 2007
856 Posts
Nigthflight......

Got some nightflying on tape today, must edit and figure out how to upload..
It's a beauty to fly......

Best regards
Kai
Old Jan 03, 2009, 05:27 PM
LaSalle, Illinois
Joined Sep 2007
476 Posts
Hurry up Kai! Can't wait to see it!

Sterling
Old Jan 24, 2009, 03:57 PM
Netherlands
Joined Sep 2008
144 Posts
Here's a vid of last night's indoor fun fly. This is my first Silent Mite I sold to someone who only flew a few times with an Easy Star.

ACH - Indoor vliegen 24-01-2009 (2 min 18 sec)
Sleurhutje is offline Find More Posts by Sleurhutje
Old Jan 25, 2009, 02:42 AM
Moss, Norway
Joined Jun 2007
856 Posts
Nightflight

Finaly uploaded some video.....

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...0#post11425056

Best regards

Kai
Old Jan 26, 2009, 05:19 PM
LaSalle, Illinois
Joined Sep 2007
476 Posts
Couple of pretty great videos! That indoor flying is a little beyond me at this point. Thought I was pretty good at flying in a small area until I added walls! Was surprise that I didn't see a midair with one of those PBF's. That thing looks fantastic with the lights Kai! Might be pm'ing you for some info on how to hook that up this spring. Good job!!!

Sterling
Old Jan 26, 2009, 06:28 PM
Moss, Norway
Joined Jun 2007
856 Posts
Diy

Thancs

The LED's are hardcore DIY from the scrap boxes, hardwarestore , PC cabinets, LED spots and what not. . . he he

But if i can assist, please PM.

Best regards

Kai
Old Jan 27, 2009, 02:46 AM
Norfolk, UK
Joined Jul 2002
595 Posts
Its good to see some more mite in the air - the lights work nicely.

I bought my LEDs from ebay....try searching for ultra bright led & you should find loads to choose from. The key is choosing colours and a layout that helps you tell the orientation of the model - as when its completely dark thats all you have to go on.

I also used thin enameled copper wire (approx 28swg) to join mine together - its very light and can be glued safely to the EPP with PVA , or run in a slit so you don't see it.

The only tricky part of setting the LEDs up is making sure that you have the correct resistor to go with your LED - for which there are iterally hundreds of online calculators....try googling 'led resistor calc'.

Flying indoors just takes a slightly different approach - confidence builds very quickly....you'll tend to find your own air space - people fly at different heights & different speeds leaving big gaps for you to fly in. Mind you I also used to fly streamer combat indoors with 10 or more planes in the air - that was fantastic...pure chaos!
Old Jan 28, 2009, 02:18 PM
Netherlands
Joined Sep 2008
144 Posts
Weight is not such an issue on the beautiful Mite. We fly the Mite with 800mAh to 1270mAh 3S LiPo's (63 grams tot 130 grams) and still flies perfectly.

For the LEDs it's pretty simple for the ultra high bright LEDs (10.000mcd and up): 2S LiPo use 270 Ohms and for 3S LiPo use 390 Ohms 1/4 Watt resistors. This will provide a good 27mA per LED (nominal 20mA but at max. brightness 30mA).

The guy that flew the Mite indoor (measuring 3 indoor tennis courts side-by-side) flew it for the first time indoor. This was his second indoor event. Set your expo to 40%, your aileron ratio to 30% and learn to user the rudder as quickly as possible (you canb make really short flat turns) and it's a great beginners plane for indoor. After seeing it indoors, 4 other people at the club are starting to build the Mite. So it's a rebirth of a classic.
Sleurhutje is offline Find More Posts by Sleurhutje
Old Jan 28, 2009, 07:34 PM
Canadian Bacon
Kingston, Canada
Joined Jun 2004
13,062 Posts
In the middle of a build too. Anxious to try it out .

Gord
flypaper 2 is online now Find More Posts by flypaper 2
Old Jan 28, 2009, 10:53 PM
LaSalle, Illinois
Joined Sep 2007
476 Posts
I've been working on my next one with a built up wing. Wing is actually finished and got the fuse glued up this morning before leaving for work. Hope to have it pretty much done this weekend and will get some pics up ( Thanks for the help Soundman!). Will just be waiting for a new batch a motors to arrive so I can get it in the air.

Sterling
Old Jan 29, 2009, 03:13 AM
Norfolk, UK
Joined Jul 2002
595 Posts
Crikey - those batteries are much bigger than I intended...good to hear that it still flies well with the extra baggage though.

Looking forward to seeing the built up wing version....what span has it ended up at?

If anyone else is interested, I have some unfinished plans for a 34" span built up wing version of the silentmite. They are finished enough to build from, but will need some interpretation & elaboration....experienced builders only I think.