SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Nov 25, 2008, 04:45 PM
2012 NZ Speedcup - 231 MPH
New Zealand, Tasman, Richmond
Joined Mar 2006
2,025 Posts
She's a favourite, especially as it sits nicely on the front seat of my car - nice and compact

The tail feathers, ailerons and fuze bottom is 3mm depron. Everything else is 6mm EPP. Oh yeah and the firewall is 6mm depron, with the motor mount just 5min epoxied on the front of it.

To reference a specific the post, find the exact one you want and copy the link from your browser's address bar into your post.
DownUnderPilot is online now Find More Posts by DownUnderPilot
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 26, 2008, 04:37 PM
flyit till theres nothin left
Airfield Electric Shop Memphis International Airport
Joined Sep 2006
225 Posts
got it thanks
ZZ Prop is offline Find More Posts by ZZ Prop
Old Nov 26, 2008, 04:37 PM
Joined Sep 2006
225 Posts
deleted

ZZ
Old Nov 28, 2008, 05:45 PM
LaSalle, Illinois
Joined Sep 2007
476 Posts
Charlie,
I think you're right about this thread length. Questions on EPP and the difficulty of the fuselage, even though it's not difficult at all! It's a great plane and can be flown on cheaper equipment easily. Be sure to post pictures of yours when you get it done.

Sterling
yardboz1 is offline Find More Posts by yardboz1
Old Dec 03, 2008, 04:49 PM
Netherlands
Joined Sep 2008
144 Posts
I saw the plans for the Silent Mite a few months ago, when the indoor season started. But my first experience indoor was with the Nexus. After a few hours of orientating in the hall things went very well. So I built an Index 2.2 designed by Aio (great F3P plane!). Now I want something faster but not as fast as my Graupner Nemesis which is also on the bench.

Here are my first building pics. Hope to fly it this weekend. The toughest part is finished (took some time to figure out the best way to bend the 3mm Depron, I used a spoon).

The fuselage

And the fuselage sides glued together (POR was already my favorit foam glue on my othe Depron flyers)

-edit-
One day later. Placed the servos, rods, hinges, motor and ESC. Only need to place the receiver and find the right plavce for the LiPo (probably a 850mAh 2S1P or 350mAh 3S1P since I have a lot of these ).

Sleurhutje is offline Find More Posts by Sleurhutje
Last edited by Sleurhutje; Dec 04, 2008 at 05:31 PM.
Old Dec 04, 2008, 09:58 PM
LaSalle, Illinois
Joined Sep 2007
476 Posts
What kind of paint scheme are you going to be going with? Make sure you post a photo, and good luck with the maiden!! Let us know how it goes.

Sterling
Old Dec 05, 2008, 03:42 AM
Netherlands
Joined Sep 2008
144 Posts
I don't know. I painted my Index 2.2 like a tiger. This is just a quick build to check performance. On the next one I'll spend some more time to bend the Depron in a much nicer way. The next one will also have LEDs inside to illuminate the entire fuselage and strings on the outside for night flying.
Old Dec 05, 2008, 07:59 AM
Scotland
Joined Sep 2008
19 Posts
this plane looks great well done
firstyger is offline Find More Posts by firstyger
Old Dec 05, 2008, 05:12 PM
Netherlands
Joined Sep 2008
144 Posts
Put the little thing on a scale. The AUW is 197 grams with this setup:
- All 5mm EPP replaced by 6mm Depron, all 3mm EPP replaced by 3mm Depron
- All parts glued with UHU POR (still my favorit for Depron/Styropor)
- Motor: 19 gram 2200Kv BL2204 (Hobby City)
- ESC: Turnigy Plush 10A (Hobby City)
- RX: Spektrum AR500 (for free, was broken and repaired it )
- Servo's: 5 gram HXT500 on ailerons, 3,7 gram no-names on rudder and elevator (Hobby City)
- Battery: Hellipro 2S1P 850mAh (RCMart.com, 43 gram, AUW 197 gram, COG is OK) or Flightpower EVO Lite 2S1P 350mAh (LHS, 22 gram, AUW 176 gram, COG too far to the back)
- Prop: APC Slow Flyer 8x3,8"
- Pushrods: 1,8mm CF

Total costs? About 35,00 ($ 42,00).

The next one will have the mid- and bottom keel, rudder and ailerons made from 3mm Depron to save some more weight. The Depron is much stronger than the EPP but also much heavier.
Old Dec 05, 2008, 05:58 PM
LaSalle, Illinois
Joined Sep 2007
476 Posts
$42.00, just gotta love foamies! I can't find that motor on Hobby City/King website (not surprising that their search engine sucks). Can you provide a link? Thanks

Sterling
Old Dec 05, 2008, 07:13 PM
Joined Sep 2006
225 Posts
Finished mine tonight.
Going to try it in the am early before the wind picks up.
Wonder where to put the battery. I'm using a 700 2s Common Sence RC and some power up 900s 2s from Heads Up RC.
I wound up putting it almost all the way to the front of the bottom close to the firewall to get it to ballance @ about 30% of the wing. R U guys putting the batt in the fuse with a hatch or R U velcrowing outside?

charlie

I'll post pix latter
Last edited by ZZ Prop; Dec 05, 2008 at 07:32 PM.
Old Dec 05, 2008, 07:41 PM
LaSalle, Illinois
Joined Sep 2007
476 Posts
Charlie,
Mine is just attached to the bottom with velcro. Was going to make a hatch, but got too impatient and I just haven't done it. Planning on building another one (with an airfoiled wing, if I can figure it out) and it will have a hatch. I've never had an issue with the battery falling. Hope your maiden goes well. 10 degrees again tonight, so I'm not flying much.

Sterling
Old Dec 05, 2008, 10:02 PM
Joined Sep 2006
225 Posts
sterling,

Check this out.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...6&postcount=30
and this..
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...8&postcount=45

You have probably seen this already but I built this glostick. The wing is REALLY strong and stiff Works great. Just an idea on how to build a "real wing". This whole build is very interesting for building box fuse and full wings.
I am thinking on trying this type wing in EPP.
I just started this EPP thing. I am going to have to get used to it's flexability and how to come up with ways to stiffin it without ruining it's crashability which is the major reason for using it. I will keep at it though I believe from what I've seen on RC Groups this is the wave of the future. I built a profile EPP also last weekend and don't like the way it flys. The rear fuse is way to floppy. I found some ideas on bracing I'm going to try. The Mite fuse is really stiffer than I thought it would be when I started it. I can't wait till morning to fly her. get up, drink 1 cup coffee and out to the back 40 I go. supposed to be 28 degreese in the AM but I got my carharts by the door.
Charlie
Last edited by ZZ Prop; Dec 05, 2008 at 10:16 PM.
Old Dec 06, 2008, 04:22 AM
Netherlands
Joined Sep 2008
144 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by yardboz1
$42.00, just gotta love foamies! I can't find that motor on Hobby City/King website (not surprising that their search engine sucks). Can you provide a link? Thanks

Sterling
The links:
TURNIGY 2204-14T 19g Outrunner
TURNIGY Plush 10amp 9gram Speed Controller

TURNIGY BESC Programming Card (must have, works on most ESC's even if they aren't Turnigy)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZZ Prop
Finished mine tonight.
Going to try it in the am early before the wind picks up.
Wonder where to put the battery. I'm using a 700 2s Common Sence RC and some power up 900s 2s from Heads Up RC.
I wound up putting it almost all the way to the front of the bottom close to the firewall to get it to ballance @ about 30% of the wing. R U guys putting the batt in the fuse with a hatch or R U velcrowing outside?
Same problems. My Hellipro 850mAh need to be placed all the way up the nose. If I put in my EVO Lite 350mAh I cant's get COG right, it's almost at the end of the wing. So for now I'll stick to the 850mAh's. The next one will be 3mm Depron except for the wing. Or perhaps even 2mm Depron for the fuselage covering.
Old Dec 06, 2008, 06:29 AM
Joined Sep 2006
225 Posts
Sleurhutje

I did put some extra foam in the tail, not much, inside the fuse trying to beef up the rudder and the horizontal stabe which I'm sure added a little tail weight. It doesn't take much at that distance from the cg but I stayed with the EPP because I am more or less trying to learn to use the stuff. When I started this build I assumed the batt went IN the fuse for a clean look. I sure hate that I'm going to ruin the looks of this beautiful aircraft with an ugly lipo hangin off the bottom but what the hey. I'm thinking about building a box inside the nose to hold the lipo plus the extra foam for the box might be the ticket for the cg problem. sure hate more weight though I'm already at 8.7 oz.
There are a lot of EPP aircraft out there that seem to work so I'm goin to stick with it for a while to see if I can get hooked.
This hobby is a perpetual (excuse my spelling) learning curve anyway.
I'm thinking about a hybrid foamy also. DEP except the motor mount and wing root area EPP.
Whats funny I never crash my nitro planes (well maybe once in a while) but I don't dare try to do aerobatics 2 feet off the ground on them like I do my foamies either.