HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 12, 2008, 02:02 PM
LaSalle, Illinois
Joined Sep 2007
476 Posts
Got mine finished and maidened yesterday! Haven't painted it yet other than the canopy, couldn't wait to get it in the air. Really stable and I was surprised how slow it would go. Went with a 1300kv Blue Wonder and an 8x4 prop. AUW with a 3s500mah lipo is 202 grams (just a hair over 7 ounces). I had some wing flutter so I just added another cf rod, hope it helps.
Thanks for the time and effort to post great plans and a fantastic build guide! It really helps us new guys on this type of
build. I was surprised at how easy it actually went together. Great job!

Sterling
yardboz1 is offline Find More Posts by yardboz1
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 14, 2008, 06:22 PM
LaSalle, Illinois
Joined Sep 2007
476 Posts
Thought I'd post a quick video from this afternoon. One of those perfect fall days. Spent a few hours at a park in town with a flying buddy, came home and spent a few more hours running batteries thru my planes. Just can't get any better!
Thanks again Soundman.

Sterling

btw, anybody know how to load stuff onto youtube so it doesn't look like crap? I save it to my computer and it looks fine, upload it onto youtube and it turns out like this.silent mite
Old Oct 22, 2008, 12:08 AM
Joined Feb 2006
29 Posts
she is together

Hey all, she is together and I took her out today for a few minutes. I did some minor mods to the design but overall kept it the same.

as you can see I changed up the shape of the rudder and narrowed the fuz from top to bottom by about 1/2 in. at the back.

I also extended the wings out to just over 30" and made REAL BIG ailerons.

I beefed up the rear control surfaces with some extra carbon I had around.

It flys very stable with about 1/2 throttle hover on the GPMG4500 rimfire on it and a 800mAh thunderpower battery. I did notice that the wings did cup up a bit and I will try to stiffen them up some more with fiber tape or something. Right now I have a 3mm flat carbon on the leading edges and a 2mm rod in the center of the wing as a spar. I will try to get some video of it flying in the next day or two.

Thanks again Soundman, the plans were a great start as I have never build an epp plane before let alone a scratch built.
It may not look that much to all you pros but I love it. I will hit it with the airbrush after I get the bugs worked out.
Great job.
power67 is offline Find More Posts by power67
Old Oct 22, 2008, 08:12 AM
LaSalle, Illinois
Joined Sep 2007
476 Posts
Good job!!! Hope you enjoy it as much as I enjoy mine.

Sterling
Old Nov 06, 2008, 01:25 AM
Joined May 2006
353 Posts
Canopy pemplate

dear soundman,
thanks for the excellent plan. I was half way thru making this plane from your plan. I used 3mm Depron for the Fuse. I am not an expert so forgive me if my question is stupid.
U have given the Canopy Template in the plan. but u are not talking about it in the build instructions. How do i use it?
best regards
ashta

Quote:
Originally Posted by soundman
I've not used a park 300 - but a quick look at the specs tells me it should work perfectly if your weight is similar to mine (6.5oz - 182g).
ashtasky is offline Find More Posts by ashtasky
Old Nov 07, 2008, 12:30 AM
Joined May 2006
353 Posts
Pl ignore my question

dear soundman,
Sorry for my stupid question. I have figured out it now, Also you have mentioned it in the buildplan. Now i undrestand that the Template is only to mark the canopy area for painting etc.
I am almost completed my first build. I used 2mm Depron and thermocole blocks. Some how i could not use the MIDKEEL, since i made some errors and the fuselage was bent. So i took it out and used theremocole blocks. Also made some extra cut on the canopy area. I thought that i would finish this as it is and do a better job in the next build.
pl find some pictures. I will maiden it this Sunday if possible.
Thanks a lot
best regards
ashta

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashtasky
dear soundman,
thanks for the excellent plan. I was half way thru making this plane from your plan. I used 3mm Depron for the Fuse. I am not an expert so forgive me if my question is stupid.
U have given the Canopy Template in the plan. but u are not talking about it in the build instructions. How do i use it?
best regards
ashta
Old Nov 08, 2008, 12:19 AM
Joined May 2006
353 Posts
Maidened it today

Dear Soundman,

Mine came out to be little heavy.
With 800mAH, 3cell it is 350gms AUW. Did the minimum decoration. Maidened it today. Woh.. wondefull flier. It flew with Min trims. Flies quite slow also though the weight is on the high side. I will post some videos as soon as i find somebody to take it. I had some problem with my elevator servo centering. Will change it and fly again tomorrow.
Thnaks a lot Soundman for the wonderfull plane.

best regards
ashta

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashtasky
dear soundman,
Sorry for my stupid question. I have figured out it now, Also you have mentioned it in the buildplan. Now i undrestand that the Template is only to mark the canopy area for painting etc.
I am almost completed my first build. I used 2mm Depron and thermocole blocks. Some how i could not use the MIDKEEL, since i made some errors and the fuselage was bent. So i took it out and used theremocole blocks. Also made some extra cut on the canopy area. I thought that i would finish this as it is and do a better job in the next build.
pl find some pictures. I will maiden it this Sunday if possible.
Thanks a lot
best regards
ashta
Old Nov 24, 2008, 06:28 PM
flyit till theres nothin left
Airfield Electric Shop Memphis International Airport
Joined Sep 2006
225 Posts
Bump

I'm startin on mine as we speak.
Goin to be my first epp plane. There are so many ideas about stiffining. I got carbon of all types and bamboo skewers.
Has anyone used bamboo from 32 " blinds? I saw some at lowes. The bam is a full 32". I wanted to cut the string and take some out to see how stiff it was but darn those security cameras. I would have bought the one I cut IF it has been strong enough. Some of the tubes of bam were pretty big around about 6 mm and flattened out and felt pretty stiff but here again it was still attached. 25 bucks for the blind which would be a big supply but I have done alot of r&d on stuff like that and lost out. I'm sure all you guys know what I'm ramblin about.
Skewers are only about 12" does anyone have a tried and true method to join them together to make them longer.
ZZ Prop is offline Find More Posts by ZZ Prop
Old Nov 24, 2008, 07:00 PM
LaSalle, Illinois
Joined Sep 2007
476 Posts
Haven't tried the bamboo blinds, but I have used 1/8" dowel rod from local home center or craft store. Pretty cheap and seems to work ok. Not sure how you could join skewers together, but I think I only paid 50 cents for 3' dowel rods. If you've got the carbon rods, I'd say just use them. Good luck with your build, I know I really enjoy mine. Haven't seen Tim (soundman) on here for awhile, if you have any questions let me know, I'll try to help you.

Sterling
Old Nov 24, 2008, 07:49 PM
2012 NZ Speedcup - 231 MPH
New Zealand, Tasman, Richmond
Joined Mar 2006
1,941 Posts
I agree that Carbon is the way to go, especially if you have some. I built a Mite and used slightly too small carbon, and the wings flex a bit (although they will never break). Compare this to the 50% Mite I built with very stiff wings and it definitelty flies a little more precisely.
DownUnderPilot is offline Find More Posts by DownUnderPilot
Old Nov 24, 2008, 07:54 PM
LaSalle, Illinois
Joined Sep 2007
476 Posts
BTW, it's nice to see a few more of these being built. It sure is an extremely stable and fun plane to fly, plus it looks really good!

Sterling
Old Nov 25, 2008, 06:04 AM
Joined Sep 2006
225 Posts
Humm 50% silent mite would that be a MINI MITE? How does it fly?
I have some chopsticks I bring home from the japanese restaurant we go to I wish I could figure out a way to attach them together cuz those things are real tough.

Well thanks for the info. I am really getting excited about this one cuz I've been reading alot about epp. I bought a box of mix from rcfoam 3, 6,9 mm so I would have all the right size to do it with.
I got all the parts cut out and I'll be workin on sticking it together. (4 day weekend woo hoo)
I remember reading about epp tearing at the edges and somewhere someone said something about string in a slice glued around the wing tips I also read somebody just put a thin bead of hot glue around the tips. I think I've got every glue known to man so I can do just about anything.
I think this thread would be bigger if people would give the epp a try I was kinda skeptical myself until I started this build. It's amazing how stiff the fuse is. The box fuse is the way to go. It's not hard at all to round the 3 mm around the formers on top of the mite. I did have to tweek the top part of the formers after I glued the first side on. It wasn't a problem though I just folded the fuse side around and saw where the seam down the top of the fuse where it was joined was going to wind up a little short, not in the center of the rounded edge, so I just took a 16th off and it was perfect. Just thought I would mention this if anyone trys the build to check this before they glue.
I want to build a shockie next and see what it takes to stiffin the fuse I guess carbon would be the best as far as weight. All I do is scratch, havn't bought a kit in 5 years. The last thing I bought was a hellraiser ultimate bipe it was a sweet flyer but it wasn't dingable crashable. He quit making them. I bought a ikurus Yak shockie also, thats when I started getting into electrics. The main reason I bought those was to see how it was done. NOW I'm HOOKED.

thanks guys for the info.
Charlie
Old Nov 25, 2008, 07:51 AM
Estonia
Joined Sep 2005
216 Posts
How do you get your plane parts to one flat surface in sketchup?
tann200 is offline Find More Posts by tann200
Old Nov 25, 2008, 11:29 AM
2012 NZ Speedcup - 231 MPH
New Zealand, Tasman, Richmond
Joined Mar 2006
1,941 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZZ Prop
Humm 50% silent mite would that be a MINI MITE? How does it fly?
Flies brilliantly! Handles a small breeze no problems, and does everything the full sized version does. For some reason it will knife edge a lot better than it's bigger brother. Details on the 10g motor thread:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...=5#post9995045
DownUnderPilot is offline Find More Posts by DownUnderPilot
Old Nov 25, 2008, 11:48 AM
Joined Sep 2006
225 Posts
Wow DUP
I didn't realize that you had named the 50% silent mite micro mite I was suggesting you to. great minds think alike.
What part is dep and what is epp.
How do you reference a particular post to link it, say to this post, like you did above?
Last edited by ZZ Prop; Nov 25, 2008 at 03:10 PM.