Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Dec 29, 2006, 08:43 PM
Design > Build > Fly
Arizona, USA
Joined Feb 2005
3,823 Posts
New Product
Strange Bird SB28 Forward Swept Wing

I have held off posting any photos or videos here as I wanted to get close to having it ready for public release before revealing this new plane. Over the past year and half I have been messing with some forward swept wings (own designs) and I have finally come up with something quite new. My first designs I was surprised at how stable the forward swept wing was in high and low speeds as the air flow is focused toward the center of the plane instead of out the wing tips this contributes to a very stable glide at slow speeds with very little or no tip stalling.

I have spent the past few weeks putting this plane in cad and now have the first sheets laser cut and test building. My prototype was all hand cut. But I hope to have some laser cut (probably short kits) ready for the January Electric Festival here in Arizona.

The Strange Bird 28 (SB28) will probably be available as almost a full kit very soon. I just wanted to get some reactions to this design and see what the interest would be. Thanks for your comments and questions in advance.

Specs:

Wingspan: 28 inches
Length: 27 inches
Weight: ~10oz and ~12.5 oz with battery
Elevon Servos: 2x HS 55
Nose Servo: 1 6gram (nose wheel steering)
Motor: Eflite Park 370 (in-runner) 5400 KV
Prop: APC 4.2x2
Battery: 1000 1320 mAh 3S Lipo
Rx: Berg 4L Micro Stamp
ESC: Phoenix 25

Video: http://www.blueskyrc.com/vids/sb28_demo.wmv

Official Build Thread Link: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=621908

There are more photos of the prototype build at http://www.StickFlyers.com
Also special thanks to Jim at JTechLaser (http://www.jtechlaser.com/) for his great help with this project -- not just a nice guy, he knows what he is doing!
Qrome is offline Find More Posts by Qrome
Last edited by Qrome; Mar 02, 2007 at 07:54 AM. Reason: Added the build thread link
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 29, 2006, 08:59 PM
Promoting Model Aviation...
United States, CA, Tehachapi
Joined Nov 2005
24,814 Posts
Well it certainly is different. I like it.

I also like the way you took out that SS. He deserved it.

Frank
Murocflyer is offline Find More Posts by Murocflyer
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Who Appreciates Your Work?
Old Dec 29, 2006, 09:10 PM
throw new IOPilotException();
Ireland, County Dublin, Dublin
Joined Feb 2005
2,613 Posts
Eh eh!
That thing "eats" SS's!

I loved the way it took off, all they way up non stop! Awesome!
IceWind is offline Find More Posts by IceWind
Old Dec 29, 2006, 10:33 PM
Watch out for that TREE!
Houston, Tx
Joined Oct 2006
1,458 Posts
Very nice! I like the way it looks, and seems to fly great.

John
GD5015 is offline Find More Posts by GD5015
Old Dec 29, 2006, 10:37 PM
Pusher jets rule!
Mesa, AZ
Joined Jan 2006
17,113 Posts
Frank,

Oh my gosh. Forget everything I said about GWS. THIS is the plane to have! I know you love the Stevens SQuiRT. I watched Qrome as he built, then flew, the prototype, and all I can say is AWESOME! I never thought a plane could be so stable, yet so manueverable all at the same time. (like the new avatar BTW )

This thing is a rocket, has vertical like you would not believe, floats in for landing, you name it! I will be building one of these myself soon!

Guys, anyone who is a fan of Pat Tritle, Stevens Aero, Mountain Models, etc. will LOVE this plane! This will be a must have in your collection.

Qrome, nice job once again. I can't believe how well all your designs perform. You gonna be out at the bowl tomorrow?

Pat

EDIT: I removed the statement about flat spins. I forgot this bird does not have a rudder, and I was thinking of another of Qrome's wonderful builds.
crxmanpat is offline Find More Posts by crxmanpat
Last edited by crxmanpat; Dec 30, 2006 at 08:29 AM.
Old Dec 29, 2006, 11:16 PM
Design > Build > Fly
Arizona, USA
Joined Feb 2005
3,823 Posts
Thanks for the comments guys. Pat, yes... I think I will be at the ADOT bowl in the morning.
Qrome is offline Find More Posts by Qrome
Old Dec 30, 2006, 07:24 AM
Promoting Model Aviation...
United States, CA, Tehachapi
Joined Nov 2005
24,814 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by crxmanpat
Frank,

Oh my gosh. Forget everything I said about GWS. THIS is the plane to have! I know you love the Stevens SQuiRT. I watched Qrome as he built, then flew, the prototype, and all I can say is AWESOME! I never thought a plane could be so stable, yet so manueverable all at the same time. (like the new avatar BTW )

This thing is a rocket, has vertical like you would not believe, awesome flat spins, floats in for landing, you name it! I will be building one of these myself soon!

Guys, anyone who is a fan of Pat Tritle, Stevens Aero, Mountain Models, etc. will LOVE this plane! This will be a must have in your collection.

Qrome, nice job once again. I can't believe how well all your designs perform. You gonna be out at the bowl tomorrow?

Pat
Dang Pat, you sure are fickle. Here I was ready to buy a GWS-38 from BP Hobbies and now I have to wait for this.

It does look pretty sweet. Although I am a huge favorite of balsa kits and balsa airplanes. Reminds me of the rubber band powered planes I built as a young lad.

Frank
Murocflyer is offline Find More Posts by Murocflyer
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Who Appreciates Your Work?
Old Dec 30, 2006, 08:20 AM
T A C
Gilbert, Arizona
Joined Sep 2003
587 Posts
I've been watching the SB 28 for months, and can't wait anymore. Q: my "building board" is empty! I need a balsa fix .....and, I've got a "secret" motor perfect for this plane......
No kidding guys, this one is a "gotta have" airplane !
It does everything Q says and then some.
You should see how everyone stops what they're doing and watches and also, it draws crowds on the ground.
I like both the screaming high speed stuff and the slow and low fly bys were we are getting the bird.

WINNER !!!!!

-Rus
zzonie77 is offline Find More Posts by zzonie77
Old Dec 30, 2006, 08:27 AM
Mansell Models
United States, UT, Layton
Joined May 2004
1,294 Posts
This is a beautiful bird. I have watched it fly. This bird has unlimited vertical, rolls nice and axial, very nice inverted flight. No tip stalls, No spins, and no Rudder. It does have nose wheel steering. The Flight Characteristics are great. One of the nice features of this plane is it has durable landing gear. You don't have worry about hand launching. You don't have too worry about bending motor shafts and breaking props. This bird is fast like a wing, but gentile when landing. I am looking forward to get one. Those who love wings, this bird here is a must have.

Tom
N827TM is offline Find More Posts by N827TM
Old Dec 30, 2006, 10:37 AM
You sabotaged my plane.
Arizona
Joined Jun 2002
2,762 Posts
David,
Are you going to have a pattern for the bird on the bottom? It would be nice to be able to copy that.
Jim
eliworm is offline Find More Posts by eliworm
Old Dec 30, 2006, 10:55 AM
U.City Flyer
St. Louis, MO
Joined Oct 2002
859 Posts
Looks like a balsa version of the mini-BOP, with wheels. Any idea on pricing and availability of the kits?

Barry
bmizes is offline Find More Posts by bmizes
Old Dec 30, 2006, 10:57 AM
IWC
Joined Feb 2003
2,718 Posts
that plane is fast!
IWC is offline Find More Posts by IWC
Old Dec 30, 2006, 11:01 AM
M0unt@in M0del$ minion
USA, AZ, Mesa
Joined Jul 2002
7,214 Posts
I'm most decidedly a non fan of flying wings but I do have an Edge RC Mini Bird of Prey. I like the way it flies with the forward swept wing BUT its very heavy and has no landing gear. I hate hand launching and love touch and goes. Can't do it with that bird.
When David was talking about the SB28 I was pretty skeptical. That is until I saw it fly! All around performance is simply astounding! Plus it has landing gear!!!! As Tom said, no more hand launching and no more broken props and motor shafts. Yipee!

Joe
turbojoe is offline Find More Posts by turbojoe
Old Dec 30, 2006, 11:26 AM
U.City Flyer
St. Louis, MO
Joined Oct 2002
859 Posts
Joe,

I agree this looks like a cool alternative. I can definitely see a place for both of them. The mini-BOP and the BOP are nearly indestructible, which certainly has advantages when the ground comes up and bites the plane. The SB28, being balsa, would not take kindly to a "difficult" landing or a close up and personal visit with a tree or light pole. The BOPs walk away from those unscathed. The landing gear, light weight, and power make the SB28 worth owning. Hopefully the pricing will be similar to the mini-BOP or BOP and the SB28 will be equally as successful.

Barry
bmizes is offline Find More Posts by bmizes
Old Dec 30, 2006, 11:51 AM
M0unt@in M0del$ minion
USA, AZ, Mesa
Joined Jul 2002
7,214 Posts
Barry,

The Mini BOP can definitely take some punishment. Justin himself drove mine straight in at full throttle once. Anymore though I build a plane to fly not crash. Crash worthiness just isn't a factor for me. It doesn't mean I don't crash. It means if I do I know the consequences. Someone that still crashes a lot should stick to EPP.

Nothing flies like balsa and seeing the SB28 in action proves that. While the SB28 looks to be as stable as a trainer I doubt David would market it as one. As light as it is and as strong as the construction looks I'm sure it would take quite a hit to cause any real damage. The sheeted leading edge is going to make the wing almost bullet proof.

Joe
turbojoe is offline Find More Posts by turbojoe