HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 15, 2002, 10:13 PM
Joined Aug 2002
2 Posts
Good combo gyro and radio for Corona?

Like the title says. What are you running to get this baby to fly good?
Chewie is offline Find More Posts by Chewie
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 15, 2002, 10:34 PM
Maple Grove, MN
Joined Jul 2002
177 Posts
I am running a gy401 for a gyro,... probably a little overkill for this heli, but it works very well. (I originally was going to get a gy240, but the hobby store did not have those in stock)

As for a radio, I use the 6 channel Futaba 6HS PCM. Again,... probably a little more than needed for this heli, but the price was really good and it allows me some room to expand.
Pongo is offline Find More Posts by Pongo
Old Sep 15, 2002, 11:28 PM
Joined Sep 2001
6,190 Posts
Futaba gy240 and a JR 8103 DT Tx. Overkill, but nice
cactus is offline Find More Posts by cactus
Old Sep 16, 2002, 02:41 AM
Our Daddy and Heli Junkie
In Heli Wonderland
Joined Aug 1999
22,799 Posts
HH is nice, but a good Piezo is all you need with a 4 channel radio.

A little higher end radio would be nice for playing with the throttle curve, and maybe some expo too.

Look at the GY240 and the Hitec Eclipse. Both will do what you want and can be taken much farther later on.
Fred Bronk is offline Find More Posts by Fred Bronk
Old Sep 16, 2002, 06:48 AM
I ment to do that!
St. Petersburg, FL
Joined Jul 2002
249 Posts
Futaba T6XAS (because of model memories) G410T (JR) will soon
replace my Hobbico $59.99 gyro that works great but I want to
try HH. HS81MG servos. I had been flying the Hobbico gyro for
about 6mo in the gas version LMH110. Best budget rig on the
market.
acr1346 is offline Find More Posts by acr1346
Old Sep 16, 2002, 07:27 AM
United States, PA, Beaver
Joined Sep 2001
3,517 Posts
I used an AM Futaba Atack 4 channel for about 4 years on a glow LMH. I since moved it to my Corona and it has continued to work great. Some glitching, but seems like it glitches less than my buddies, Futaba Super 8 with Hitec Super Slim receiver.

I am using a $50 GWS gyro. Works just fine. I had to crank the gain way down to get the tail rotor authority I was after. I do wish I had an extra channel so I could switch off the gyro in flight, but the current setup works so well I hate to change it. I actually liked the mechanical gyro better then the Pizo, but I seem to be in the minority on that one
rcav8r2 is offline Find More Posts by rcav8r2
Old Sep 16, 2002, 08:13 AM
Apex, NC
Joined Jan 2002
1,492 Posts
GY240 and any computer radio with model memory and exponential. Avoid the "cheap" gyro trap. I replaced my GWS PG03 with the GY240 per this forum, big improvement. I would look at a higher end also so that you can switch off the heading hold in forward flight (over kill).

Victor
vkmaynard is offline Find More Posts by vkmaynard
Old Sep 16, 2002, 08:22 AM
United States, PA, Beaver
Joined Sep 2001
3,517 Posts
I've read alot about the "cheap" gyros not being any good. Maybe I'm missing something here as I've had no problems with mine. I can see the need for a more elaborate gyro for a more persise heli, but a better gyro needs a better servo to take advantage of the better gyro. Although good, the mechanics of the Corona aren't that persise.

Just wondering
rcav8r2 is offline Find More Posts by rcav8r2
Old Sep 16, 2002, 08:45 AM
United States, NH, Nottingham
Joined Aug 2002
1,023 Posts
I'm flying mine on a GY240 and a Hitec Focus 5x. The gyro is relatively inexpensive, and very nice, and the radio has plenty of model memories, expo, and digital trims. I'm very happy with mine. It won't do bigger helis, but if you are just using the Corona, the Flash is great. Otherwise, the Eclipse, or that 9 channel Futaba.
ncrego is offline Find More Posts by ncrego
Old Sep 16, 2002, 08:52 AM
Kou
Andover,MA.,USA
Joined Aug 2001
735 Posts
JR652 and CSM

I am using the JR652 and CSM 180 from Horizon. Not HH but pretty good for the Corona. Just wish that I can also eliminate the tail strike problem. Used GWS gyro before. Fail once and sent it back, fail the second time not too long ago and needless to say, I switch to the CSM. Probably will get a 240 later. The GWS was comparable to the CSM but does not seem to be able to handle the vibration.

MK
Kou is offline Find More Posts by Kou
Old Sep 16, 2002, 03:36 PM
Tolar, Texas
Joined Sep 2002
12 Posts
I am using a Futaba Super 7 radio with a Futaba 7 ch FP-R128DF RX and an Futaba GY240. Mine seems to be working very well. The HH gyro is nice but it still has a bit of a tail wag. From what I have heard it will never be rock solid.
IceCold is offline Find More Posts by IceCold
Old Sep 16, 2002, 09:07 PM
bps
Indianapolis, IN
Joined Apr 2001
817 Posts
My vote is for the GY 240 HH Gyro and the Hitec Eclipse radio. I just went brushless with the Hacker and Hackermaster controller. Solved all of my glitching problems. It also solved the "Tail Wagging". Just my 2 cents worth! (And I probably overcharged you!!!)
Happy aviating
JEB
bps is online now Find More Posts by bps
Old Sep 17, 2002, 01:01 AM
Columbus, MS, USA
Joined Oct 2000
1,291 Posts
I believe I helped Pongo trim out his Corona this weekend... while his is much kewler than mine with the Hacker C40/Master Controller/GY401 combo, I didn't think it flew that much better than my Atomic Force/Peg-35H/GWS Piezo combo. We actually had to spend a bit of time trying to tame the tail... removed some binding in his linkage and on his bellcrank... and then it worked a LOT better once we removed the training gear... that surprised me!

Greg in Minneapolis (<- making the world safe for cheap Corona's!)

P.S. Oh, and Pongo's flying his with a Futaba 6HS PCM while I'm using an old Ace MP8K and a Cirrus micro-receiver!
gstew is offline Find More Posts by gstew
Old Sep 17, 2002, 01:29 AM
San Francisco, CA, USA
Joined Jun 2001
2,783 Posts
i'm using the hobbico gyro, and have had no problems with it. however, if you have the cash, go with a futaba. heading hold will make it much easier to learn hovering because you don't have to think about the tail.
Ben74 is offline Find More Posts by Ben74
Old Sep 17, 2002, 04:31 AM
Joined Nov 2001
1,487 Posts
Iīm using cheap stuff, thatīs the fun with this heli! It flies so
good anyway!

2 HS-81 MG (Donīt get anything else than MG!)
1 Futaba FS-500 MG for tail
Simprop PG-05 Piezo gyro (keeps the tail STILL!)
AtomicForce, 9T pinion
TMM 50A Heli ESC (VERY NICE!!!)
7x2400 Sanyo Matched
CF T/R pushrod
ALU tailboom support
Hardend Mainmast
2x6 blade holders

Approx 420-430 flights!!!!

Max flight time is 16 minutes!
Normal flight time is 12 minutes. (20 Celcius outside temp)
Tom Viper is offline Find More Posts by Tom Viper