Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Dec 29, 2006, 03:11 PM
Joined Dec 2006
51 Posts
Question
Oops, I may have messed up my DL50?

Ok, so I glued the horizontal stabilizer's stand-of on the top instead of the bottom...... is it going to matter? Can I mount the Hor. Stab. on the bottom of the boom instead of the top? Will it have any adverse effects?

Thanks
kilmerrc36 is offline Find More Posts by kilmerrc36
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 29, 2006, 04:38 PM
No slope for richardo
Seattle, WA
Joined Jun 2005
2,070 Posts
Interesting, have seen other DLG's w/ the H stab mounted on the bottom. Have often wondered what advantage this might give you. Cleaner airflow over the stab?
Endless Sloper is online now Find More Posts by Endless Sloper
Old Dec 29, 2006, 05:27 PM
Joined Dec 2006
51 Posts
Well, if I have not heard otherwie by tomorrow..... I'm just going to mount it on the bottom. What the hey.....

Thanks
Old Dec 29, 2006, 05:31 PM
PWP!
USA, HI, Makawao
Joined Oct 2002
3,901 Posts
@ES: I believe it had to do something with the servo being able to pull for up elevator with those under-boom elevators and the trade off being that the horiz stab was then easier to rip off.

@Kilmerrc: I think your DL50 will be fine, just a little care should be taken not to let it land on the ground - hand catches only.

ha ha - just joking. may be just a little more fragile, but shouldn't be a problem.

I don't quite follow though - you mounted the "stand off" on the top of the boom or on top of the horizontal? That's a pylon that attaches the boom to the horizontal, right?
ajroahkni is offline Find More Posts by ajroahkni
Old Dec 29, 2006, 05:41 PM
Joined Dec 2006
51 Posts
The Hor. Stab. has a small 1/4 inch stand off block that is mounted between itself and the boom. I believe to help give the Elivator clearance from the boom for complete movement since all of it is mounted in front of the Vert. Stab and rudder which as mounted at the end of the boom. The instructions say to mount the Hor Stab on top of the boom but I glued to stand off block on so that the Hor Stab will be mounted on the bottm of the boom. It is literaly a matter of 1/4 to 1/2 in difference. It just means that the Hor Stab will be a little lower in reference to the Ver Stab and may be a little more prone to brake off if I have a hard tail landing..... (which of course I never do... ha ha).

Thanks for you comments.
Last edited by kilmerrc36; Dec 29, 2006 at 05:47 PM.
Old Dec 29, 2006, 06:43 PM
Yes..ok..maybe..lol.....
Tucson Avra Valley, Arizona, United States
Joined Jul 2004
5,721 Posts
Nope,won't make any difference at all.Lot of european DLGs mount the stab on the bottom.
shhhhh! is offline Find More Posts by shhhhh!
Old Dec 29, 2006, 06:51 PM
Lindenwold, NJ, USA
Joined Dec 2000
3,143 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kilmerrc36
The Hor. Stab. has a small 1/4 inch stand off block that is mounted between itself and the boom. I believe to help give the Elivator clearance from the boom for complete movement since all of it is mounted in front of the Vert. Stab and rudder which as mounted at the end of the boom. The instructions say to mount the Hor Stab on top of the boom but I glued to stand off block on so that the Hor Stab will be mounted on the bottm of the boom. It is literaly a matter of 1/4 to 1/2 in difference. It just means that the Hor Stab will be a little lower in reference to the Ver Stab and may be a little more prone to brake off if I have a hard tail landing..... (which of course I never do... ha ha).

Thanks for you comments.
What's the problem? Remove the stab mount and glue another one on the top.
John Gallagher is offline Find More Posts by John Gallagher