HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 15, 2002, 08:00 PM
Long Island, NY
Joined Sep 2002
61 Posts
Balsa wood construction

I have been flying the fbxl and fighterbird for some time now, and I am interested in kits and other models. I decided to get a 30" dumas airplane. My first balsa model plane, and I know its not rc. Its free flight rubber band (optional), but I wanted to get used to balso wood and construction. Does anyone have any construction tips, using quick set cement, and a hobby knife? Sometimes i have trouble keeping it together.

And speaking of rc kits, what should I look into? I hear things about the GWS planes, is that a good 2nd plane? I would prefer a 3 channel, with motor control.
brimann77 is offline Find More Posts by brimann77
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 16, 2002, 03:44 AM
Adelaide Australia
Joined Jul 2002
99 Posts
use stuff called cyano its availble from most hobby shops and it will rip the skin off your finger if they get glued together!! You only need to use small drops every inch approx. when cutting balsa wood i like to lightly score the line im cutting and gradually press harder and harder until its cut through!! I know that some people will disagree with my building methords but hey they work for me!! as a seccond plane i would reccomend a glow trainer my first plane was a firebird i found that after flying that i didint seen to worried if i planted my trainer in to the ground but i've lernt now not to do that cause they break easyer that foam!! Do u have a radio recievers servos and stuff yet?? that is the first thing u will need to buy!! if not try and get a 5 channel cause u can control most planes with 5 channels!
Da Flying Man is offline Find More Posts by Da Flying Man
Old Sep 16, 2002, 08:39 AM
Long Island, NY
Joined Sep 2002
61 Posts
I like the idea of glueing in just 1 drop, but i dont like the idea that your skin on your fingers rip off! I may get clumsy at some times.

I havent gotten a radio yet, but I wanted to get a 4 channel. I dont think ill need a 5 channel, because i dont plan on getting that advanced for a while.

I was thinking of using a glow powered trainer or something, but the nearest gas flying field is about 30 min from me, and 1 minute away from me is a big middle school field, so I would like electric. Im sure sooner or later i might try glow.
brimann77 is offline Find More Posts by brimann77
Old Sep 17, 2002, 07:55 AM
Adelaide Australia
Joined Jul 2002
99 Posts
i wear disposable gloves whenever i build my planes its just i forget or i knock ova the glue and before u know it i got a plan stuck to me elbow, balsa wood on my fingers and im sure i could even glue my head to my knee without trying
I still suggest a 5 channel radio u wont use it now but it will save u money when u have to purchase a new 1 i would also suggest 1 which has elevons flaperons and v-tail mixing capabilities!! The
JR 421 radio is ecellent value its a computer radio has 5 channels all mixing capabilities is easy to use and has a cost that rivals most 4 channels that are analogue if u want a electric parkflyer you'll get more help on that subject in the E-zone forum (electric flight) hope this helps well some of it!
Da Flying Man is offline Find More Posts by Da Flying Man