Old Dec 28, 2006, 10:34 AM
Brandon Evers
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Jan 2006
355 Posts
Build Log
Telemaster 40 Build

Got no responses in another forum, so I figured I'd ask here:

I've started to build the Telemaster 40 kit I got from Hobby-Lobby's After Thanksgiving Sale. This thing is pretty big! I've already built the left wing half and am finishing up the right wing half. I'd like to make the wing two-piece, however, to aid in transport (while I can fit a one piece 2m glider wing in my Corolla, it's a major pain). Although this isn't my first balsa build, I haven't worked with anything this size before, so I figured I'd solicit some advice regarding the wing joiner. I plan on using the existing spars as the top and bottom of a joiner box and using 3/32" balsa sides to enclose the box on either side of the spars (basically adding an additional shear web to form a box). This will be wrapped with kevlar thread to keep it from blowing up under load. My main questions are:

1) Is this sufficient structure for the joiner box?
2) How far should the joiner/joiner box extend?
3) What material should be used for the joiner blade?

I'm at my family's house right now for the holiday, but I'll post pictures in a few days to show my progress and the wing structures in question.

Thanks,
Brandon
bevers01 is offline Find More Posts by bevers01
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 28, 2006, 01:14 PM
volare est vivere
United States, OH, Toledo
Joined Jan 2005
2,051 Posts
Brandon:

Check out, www.tntlandinggear.com, they sell the tube type wing joiner system and can advise you about that kind of installation for the TM40. Talk to Tom Krogel, the owner, and tell him I sent you.

happy New Year -rjf
ray foley is offline Find More Posts by ray foley
Last edited by ray foley; Dec 28, 2006 at 01:21 PM.
Old Dec 29, 2006, 09:33 AM
Brandon Evers
Joined Jan 2006
355 Posts
Thanks for the tip, Ray. I'll give them a call today.

-Brandon
Old Jan 03, 2007, 04:25 PM
Brandon Evers
Joined Jan 2006
355 Posts
Well, the call to TnT was less enlightening than I had hoped. While Tom was very polite, he basically told me that he doesn't keep a list of planes and their recommended joiners on hand (which I understand given the number of planes out there) and that it's up to me to determine what size joiner system I require. I tried to describe the wing structures (spar size, etc.) in question so he could estimate a joiner system, but he told me that he couldn't make recommendations this way and that I'd have to figure that out myself. So, are there any rules of thumb regarding the joiner size and length? I don't think I'll need an overly robust joiner since the stock wing has no spar carry-through, just the center ribs epoxied together and the joint fiberglassed.

-Brandon
Old Jan 03, 2007, 06:48 PM
Gravity is a harsh mistress.
United States, MI, Temperance
Joined Sep 2002
6,608 Posts
Brandon, I have some instructions for a 2-pc wing on a SR. Telemaster that would probably scale down for the .40. I'll try and attach them. PM me you e-mail address if the file dosen't attach here.
Tim Wolff is offline Find More Posts by Tim Wolff
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 03, 2007, 07:17 PM
Brandon Evers
Joined Jan 2006
355 Posts
That's exactly what I was looking for and it should scale down perfectly (I'll probably only do one joiner with antirotation pins since the TM40 only has one main spar, not two like the SR.) Thanks, Tim!

-Brandon
Old Jan 03, 2007, 08:24 PM
Canada
Joined Jan 2007
1 Posts
Who Makes this...??

I was just wondering who the Telemaster 40 is made by as I hear they have a bigger version to and was wondering the specs of both sizes

Dave
seeme323 is offline Find More Posts by seeme323
Old Jan 03, 2007, 08:45 PM
Gravity is a harsh mistress.
United States, MI, Temperance
Joined Sep 2002
6,608 Posts
Here ya go:
http://www.hobby-lobby.com/telemaster.htm
Tim Wolff is offline Find More Posts by Tim Wolff
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 31, 2007, 08:20 AM
Australia, SA, Morphett Vale
Joined Oct 2004
1,510 Posts
Have a telemaster on its way looking forward to a winnter in the shed with a telemaster 40
Desert flier is offline Find More Posts by Desert flier
Old Apr 04, 2007, 04:06 AM
Joined Oct 2004
1,510 Posts
I have now got the telemaster and will start building in Jue hope to post some build pics
Old Jul 03, 2007, 09:41 AM
Joined Oct 2004
1,510 Posts
The following pics are what I took while building the Telemaster 40 I have finished the two wing panels to the stage of joining. I am by no means an expert builder I consider my self a begginer as I this is only my 4th build and my first balsa glow plane. I am always ready to take any constructive criticism and build hints. The more feedback the more knowledge we share so here is my 2c worth I think I will start the thread in a new forum as this is not a glow to electric conversion
Old Jul 08, 2007, 01:00 AM
Willamette Valley
Joined May 2004
14 Posts
I've just now received my Telemaster 40 kit. As I normally do, I went through it stick by stick, sheet by sheet. My thoughts, for what it's worth, is that most of the sheet stock is very heavy and way too hard. The stick wood seems about right though. I'm going to make all new ribs and sheet the wings with something lighter and softer. I'll use "C" grain for the ribs and "A" or "B" grain for the sheeting. I haven't paid much attention to the fuse lumber yet but probably will not change much there other than some lightening holes. Anyone else have this problem or am I messing with a good thing and should leave well-enough-alone. Being electric, vibration isn't a problem so, I don't see why I can't use lighter construction material.

Gary
R/Cflyboy is offline Find More Posts by R/Cflyboy
Old Jul 08, 2007, 10:14 PM
M0unt@in M0del$ minion
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Jul 2002
7,323 Posts
My second plane nearly 30 years ago was a Telemaster 40 with an OS 40. The only "problem" with the plane was that it didn't want to land. The damned thing would float forever. Had to use the flaps to create enough drag so it would finally set down!

I'd like to build another one as electric but I think I may look for some plans and scratch build it. As R/Cflyboy says in his post above the wood is going to be very heavy in a kit. Plus balsa can be substituted for a LOT of the plywood. I'm sure over a pound could easily be lopped off the total weight through careful wood selection. I'm working on an electric conversion of a Goldberg Eaglet 50. (the plane I learned on). I'm replacing all the lite ply with balsa and so far the fuse weighs only 54 grams!
turbojoe is offline Find More Posts by turbojoe
Old Jul 16, 2007, 09:52 PM
M0unt@in M0del$ minion
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Jul 2002
7,323 Posts
I just bought a set of Joe Bridie Telemaster 40 plans on e-Bay last night. First thing I'll do when they get here is run to Kinko's and have a few copies made. One to build on. One to cut up to use for making templates and one to pencil in modifications. Not sure what those mods will be just yet but that's the fun of scratch building. You can improvise as you go along. An electric low wing Telemaster with trike gear retracts, flaps AND spoilers is a very real possibility.

Joe
turbojoe is offline Find More Posts by turbojoe
Old Jul 17, 2007, 10:05 PM
United States, PA, Shamokin
Joined Mar 2004
499 Posts
low wing Telemaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbojoe
I just bought a set of Joe Bridie Telemaster 40 plans on e-Bay last night. First thing I'll do when they get here is run to Kinko's and have a few copies made. One to build on. One to cut up to use for making templates and one to pencil in modifications. Not sure what those mods will be just yet but that's the fun of scratch building. You can improvise as you go along. An electric low wing Telemaster with trike gear retracts, flaps AND spoilers is a very real possibility.

Joe
Hobby Lobby used to sell a low wing version of the Telemaster, I think it was a Funster. Between my dad and I we have built and flown the Mini Telemaster, Telemaster 40, Senior Telemaster, and the Funster. They are all great flyers. Have fun with your bashing.
Zagabond is offline Find More Posts by Zagabond