HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Closed Thread
Old Jun 16, 2007, 03:09 AM
Canada, BC, Duncan
Joined Dec 2006
3,621 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crash9
You soar like a bird Dennis, Nice video. I think the bird was leading you back to the flock . I noticed no tilt on your new EasyStar, is that true cause I resently removed mine since I rarely used it for basic FPV piloting so why have the extra weight and i can alway's bank the plane for tilt .
I agree with you Crash, I too removed my tilt. One of those function that is rarely used and who needs the unnecessary weight.
JMSTECH is offline Find More Posts by JMSTECH
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 16, 2007, 08:23 AM
Elmhurst, NY (Queens in NYC)
Joined Apr 2004
7,061 Posts
Quote:
You soar like a bird Dennis, Nice video. I think the bird was leading you back to the flock . I noticed no tilt on your new EasyStar, is that true cause I resently removed mine since I rarely used it for basic FPV piloting so why have the extra weight and i can alway's bank the plane for tilt .
While I haven't flown with it yet, but only gave it a bench check, I added an Eagle Tree micro power logger and LCD screen to my set up. That gives me airspeed, altitude, voltage and mAh used.

Without tilt I would have to move the whole camera down to see it and then it would be in the way all the time.

Good point on not needing tilt MOST of the time.

I designed a pan set up that looks down as you look to the side. I wanted it for my Donald sea plane. The camera and gear will be under a canopy and there is no room for tilt. What I planned (untried as yet) is to angle the pan servo so that the camera would be up about thirty degrees, then add a wedge under the camera to bring it back level. At ninety degrees off axis the wedge would aim the camera down thirty degrees, with the camera tilted a bit. Since the canopy for the Donald can be made out of flat stock with no vacuforming I thought I could make a new canopy that would be clear enough to shoot through. Too many projects clogging the pipeline these days, and the Donald has yet to fly off water. We did one handlaunch and I will say that weighted down as it was with a half a ton of nimh batteries (currently running my ground gear) it was the hottest rudder only ship that I have ever flown. A heart in my mouth type of plane. We have since gotten lipo's for it and saved about half the weight of the batteries but that was a year ago and it hasn't been tried yet.

Anyway, this long babble is about a pan with built in tilt, not about the trials and tribulations of my personal air force. I hope the idea makes sense.

Pete
PeteSchug is offline Find More Posts by PeteSchug
Old Jun 16, 2007, 07:55 PM
Live FPV or Die
Montreal,Canada
Joined Feb 2002
3,981 Posts
Quote:
Effectively I did not install tilt. With a wide angle 2.1mm it become useless. I will use OSD this season, Anthony had just put his beta OSD in the mail yesterday. He is not very far at New York presently, but passing custum to canada take the longest time. I miss the tilt when I do tight turn with 2.8mm lens, but I prefer anyway use the widest angle possible 2.1mm for FPV flight.
VRflyer is offline Find More Posts by VRflyer
Old Jun 16, 2007, 08:11 PM
Spain / Argentina
Joined Mar 2007
186 Posts
Great VIdeo DEnis.
The best bird´s pursuit video
I am waiting see your Ducted Fan proyect soon
sergio00 is offline Find More Posts by sergio00
Old Jun 16, 2007, 08:23 PM
Live FPV or Die
Montreal,Canada
Joined Feb 2002
3,981 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sergio00
Great VIdeo DEnis.
The best bird´s pursuit video
I am waiting see your Ducted Fan proyect soon
It will be not easy to find a feild for this ship. Presently i don't have that in mind. Don't be too surprise if I wait one year. I will be perhaps satisfy with my cap and easy for this summer. thanks for great comments every one. I got others beautifull clips in my reserve
Old Jun 16, 2007, 10:38 PM
Joined Nov 2006
2,119 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteSchug

I designed a pan set up that looks down as you look to the side.

that's what i was looking for, bcos i didn't succes doing it,

can you post some pics about how did you do it? thnks,

Denis G very nice video, wich video recorder did you use? Aiptek MPRV / Archos av500 or Cavalry record at 640x480, your video got 720x480,
wallaguest1 is offline Find More Posts by wallaguest1
Last edited by wallaguest1; Jun 16, 2007 at 10:44 PM.
Old Jun 17, 2007, 06:03 AM
Just trying to get a nut.
United States, VA, McLean
Joined Oct 2006
6,470 Posts
Somewhere in Norway...

http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...64401898360762

Hope this helps beginners.
scrtsqrl is online now Find More Posts by scrtsqrl
Last edited by scrtsqrl; Jun 17, 2007 at 10:27 AM.
Old Jun 17, 2007, 06:07 AM
Live FPV or Die
Montreal,Canada
Joined Feb 2002
3,981 Posts
I use Archos AV500. I do not recommend it, too espensive. standard use camcorder(miniDV) have better picture after record
Old Jun 17, 2007, 09:18 AM
Joined Apr 2004
7,061 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wallaguest1
that's what i was looking for, bcos i didn't succes doing it,

can you post some pics about how did you do it? thnks,

Denis G very nice video, wich video recorder did you use? Aiptek MPRV / Archos av500 or Cavalry record at 640x480, your video got 720x480,
Hi wallaguest1,

Here is a crude drawing of how I planned to mount the camera so that I could look down when looking to the side, but level when looking straight forward. It is meant to be used with a 180° servo.

I couldn't find my original drawing so this is a quick and dirty version, but you should get the idea. Of course you can adjust the sizes to fit your particular equipment.

Pete
Old Jun 17, 2007, 11:49 AM
Madrid, Spain
Joined Dec 2004
2,116 Posts
This is a pic of my first setup when I started flying FPV. The servo is covered with heatshrink, this glued to the balsa block and secured with a tie. The mount is fixed to the servo with two ties and hot glue to avoid the ties to move out of the servo arm.

It´s not a pretty mount but worked fine and was made in 5 minutes

But after some time I ended up with the servo vertical because I didn´t like the camera moving down when panning, was a bit disorienting. And if you like to fly low, you need to look more up than down when you´re going to make a turn.

For me pan + tilt + MHT is the answer and never will go back

Andres

PS: sorry for the bad pic
AndrésMtnez is offline Find More Posts by AndrésMtnez
Last edited by AndrésMtnez; Jun 17, 2007 at 12:25 PM.
Old Jun 17, 2007, 12:23 PM
Madrid, Spain
Joined Dec 2004
2,116 Posts
Another cool video VrFlyer, like always

Scrtscqrl, nice video and nice music, I love Led Zeppelin, at least the first albums

I want to clarify one thing I said. Flying with the servo tilted to look down when panning is a bit disorienting because the camera not only looks down, it also tilt to a side and this causes you really don´t know what´s the plane position. When you look 90 degrees to a side, the camera is tilted backwards and you see the skyline like if the plane were climbing. This angle depends on how much you tilted the servo. You can get used to it with some practice, but only for complete 90 degrees to a side.

With intermediate positions (between 0-90 degrees to a side) it´s even more disorienting. In this case the angle that the camera gets affects both axis, longitudinal and transverse, and you never know if the plane continues leveled or if it´s going down or to a side. Getting used to this is really difficult if possible, because each point of the pan throw is different and affects each axis in different proportion
AndrésMtnez is offline Find More Posts by AndrésMtnez
Old Jun 17, 2007, 09:23 PM
Joined Apr 2004
7,061 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrésMtnez
Another cool video VrFlyer, like always

Scrtscqrl, nice video and nice music, I love Led Zeppelin, at least the first albums

I want to clarify one thing I said. Flying with the servo tilted to look down when panning is a bit disorienting because the camera not only looks down, it also tilt to a side and this causes you really don´t know what´s the plane position. When you look 90 degrees to a side, the camera is tilted backwards and you see the skyline like if the plane were climbing. This angle depends on how much you tilted the servo. You can get used to it with some practice, but only for complete 90 degrees to a side.

With intermediate positions (between 0-90 degrees to a side) it´s even more disorienting. In this case the angle that the camera gets affects both axis, longitudinal and transverse, and you never know if the plane continues leveled or if it´s going down or to a side. Getting used to this is really difficult if possible, because each point of the pan throw is different and affects each axis in different proportion
Normally I fly with tilt and pan. This pan only set up was designed to be installed inside the Donald Seaplane. There would probably always be some part of the cabin visible. So far the Donald has had only one flight. I have a new, lighter lipo pack for it, but I also have a half a dozen other airplanes and a workbench clogged with a scale project.

The project is an L-19 tug modeled after one of the tugs at Wurtsboro airport. I probably towed behind this plane dozens of times. One of the current tow pilots there is 81 years old and I towed behind him over 40 years ago and he will probably tow me if I get checked out again. He still passes the class II medical with ease!

In any case we've been working on it for well over a year and everything else has come almost to a stop, including the Donald.

Pete
Old Jun 18, 2007, 01:19 PM
FPV Pilot
United States, MT, Missoula
Joined Mar 2006
1,264 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by scrtsqrl

Hope this helps beginners.
Nice beach video scrtsqrl. I hope you don't mind if I add it to the FPVvideo.com video page .
Crash9 is offline Find More Posts by Crash9
Old Jun 18, 2007, 04:22 PM
Just trying to get a nut.
United States, VA, McLean
Joined Oct 2006
6,470 Posts
No problem. Thanks!
scrtsqrl is online now Find More Posts by scrtsqrl
Old Jun 19, 2007, 01:28 PM
Happy FPV flyer
United Arab Emirates, Dubai
Joined Sep 2006
4,898 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by VRflyer
Nice vid indeed, especially the chase bit!

Personally there's one thing I wouldn't be able to refrain from doing for that long... Do some waterproofing and fly through that fountain
Kilrah is offline Find More Posts by Kilrah
Closed Thread