Old Dec 30, 2006, 12:41 PM
Multicopter/FPV/UAV/HAM
Austria, Stmk., Neudau
Joined Jun 2006
823 Posts
Hi typical,

was not my own idea I've got it from this german website

http://www.vallstedt-networks.de/index.html

very good pictures and construction hints (in german only unfortunately) about different antenna designs are behind the first point "Technikwelt" on top of the left menu and then under "Bauanleitungen" and "Fotogalerien 2".

By the way I'm very impressed of your doubleboom pusher I love such kind of aircrafts. That's the reason why I'll try to build a (nearly) copy of the Aerosonde .

Have attached several photos of the collected parts for this project (fuselage, wings, power plant). Power plant is a Hacker A30-10XL with Hacker X-30-Pro ESC and a Kokam 3S2P 4000 mAh LiPo. For wing levelling I've also decided to install a FMA FS8CPI Co-Pilot (have it already tested in the TwinStar II) and for height logging a Z-Log altimeter. For the RTL-autopilot I'm waiting for the WPS II from www.hexpertsystems.com (MX).

Greets, Erwin
_helitron_ is offline Find More Posts by _helitron_
Last edited by _helitron_; Dec 31, 2006 at 02:21 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 30, 2006, 05:51 PM
Just trying to get a nut.
United States, VA, McLean
Joined Oct 2006
6,382 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by _helitron_
and for height logging a Z-Log altimeter. www.hexpertsystems.com.

Greets, Erwin
Try this...It's got a few more functions for not much more...
Black Box
scrtsqrl is offline Find More Posts by scrtsqrl
Old Dec 30, 2006, 06:10 PM
Multicopter/FPV/UAV/HAM
Austria, Stmk., Neudau
Joined Jun 2006
823 Posts
Thanks for the hint scrtsqrl ,

nice device, but I bought already all that stuff for data logging, OSD, GPS, wing leveller and so on. Furthermore this Black Box can't handle PAL (I'm in Europe and all my video stuff is for the PAL system).

Greets, Erwin
Old Dec 31, 2006, 02:49 AM
Happy FPV flyer
Switzerland
Joined Sep 2006
4,444 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by _helitron_
this Black Box can't handle PAL
It can, the OSD will just be a bit offset, but nothing serious
Kilrah is offline Find More Posts by Kilrah
Old Dec 31, 2006, 03:09 AM
Multicopter/FPV/UAV/HAM
Austria, Stmk., Neudau
Joined Jun 2006
823 Posts
Hi Kilrah,

ah, really ! Thanks for the hint !

Thought so, cause they have a big fat message there on the website "Warning : NTSC ONLY, not compatible with PAL" ! Is it actually possible to configure the OSD display flexible ?

I think I have to look a little bit closer for that Black Box .

By the way, a happy new year to all or "einen guten Rutsch in 2007" (a good slide to 2007) as we say here in Austria !

Greets, Erwin
Old Dec 31, 2006, 04:28 AM
Happy FPV flyer
Switzerland
Joined Sep 2006
4,444 Posts
Well, actually it was a bit of a poker deal... When I ordered it (right at the beginning, they were saying it was a "beta unit" but they still seem to), there was nothing stated about PAL or NTSC, and I forgot about that when ordering. I thought of it like the day after, but well, that was a bit late. As there was nothing written I assumed it would work with both, I waited until I received it, did a test and found everything was fine apart from the OSD shifted a bit towards the top.

You might want to check this before getting it: http://www.rc-cam.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=1046
I don't know if the issues have been solved. We haven't heard of them again...

That would be a "Bonne année à vous" here!
Kilrah is offline Find More Posts by Kilrah
Old Dec 31, 2006, 05:00 AM
Multicopter/FPV/UAV/HAM
Austria, Stmk., Neudau
Joined Jun 2006
823 Posts
Ah, you have had good luck in this case, Kilrah !

I studied already the infos about the Black Box but I think I'll still wait a little bit.

I bought already an OSD module from here http://www.dl1ie.de several years ago. Price was/is only € 39,00 for the kit and € 59,00 for the assembled module. It has a serial interface and is totally flexible to configure. Surely, it's not a plug and play module cause one have to input the data via serial I/F from a controller. But for me it's a good solution cause I've my own flightcontroller (ATmega128) on board that's able to handle all this stuff.

And "Bonne année à vous aussi !" (know a little bit french also ).

Greets, Erwin
Old Jan 01, 2007, 04:53 PM
Joined Jun 2005
5 Posts
Mi FPV
malvinass is offline Find More Posts by malvinass
Old Jan 03, 2007, 04:09 PM
Fredericksburg, VA
Joined Apr 2006
40 Posts
Stryker Configuration

I haven't seen the Stryker configured for FPV on this site. I have visited this site daily, but for the most part I am a sideline fan. I have watched just about every video (ground based, aerial, and FPV) that is posted on the WWW. No Kidding.....I suppose there are worse videos to be addicted to.

To my point...I would like to see someones FPV setup for the Stryker. I have the Stryker, and the camera is on its way. Anyone?
rich22304 is offline Find More Posts by rich22304
Old Jan 03, 2007, 04:25 PM
Spektrum Dev Team
United States, IL, Champaign
Joined Apr 2002
1,020 Posts
the one thing to consider is how much harder it is to fly FPV than normal RC. I can fly a styker upside down doing circuits around the field at less then 3 feet and much more, but FPV flying with a slow stick presents an incredible challenge, just for basic flight! I bet the styker would be fine for FPV, but only when you are really comfortable with flying an easy star or slow stick etc. I woundn't have thought so before i did it myself, but its like going back to square one! you have to learn like a newbie all over again
aaronredbaron is offline Find More Posts by aaronredbaron
Old Jan 03, 2007, 04:50 PM
Joined Oct 2004
836 Posts
Here's mine, flying since last summer..

Airframe - Multiplex Easystar
Motor - Axi 2208/26
ESC - Phoenix 25
Prop - APC 7x5 trimmed to a 6" diameter
RX - Berg 7P
Camera - KX-131
Video - Black Widow 200mw
Display - 600x480 googles w/integrated headtracker
Recorder - Aiptek PVR
Batteries -3S2000/2S700

I installed the ESC and RX in the aft fuselage to help out with the CG.
They are accessible via hatches cut into the bottom of the fuselage.

My ground station is self-contained in a modified plastic toolbox, and holds a 6Ah 12v battery, video splitter with 4 outputs, video RX, 8db patch antenna, and a secondary 5.6" LCD display.

rob10000 is offline Find More Posts by rob10000
Old Jan 03, 2007, 05:10 PM
Elmhurst, NY (Queens in NYC)
Joined Apr 2004
7,030 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rich22304
I haven't seen the Stryker configured for FPV on this site. I have visited this site daily, but for the most part I am a sideline fan. I have watched just about every video (ground based, aerial, and FPV) that is posted on the WWW. No Kidding.....I suppose there are worse videos to be addicted to.

To my point...I would like to see someones FPV setup for the Stryker. I have the Stryker, and the camera is on its way. Anyone?
I think the biggest problem you will have (and I had it on my pico tiger moth) is getting very far away very fast without any feeling of being far away. The view through the goggles is deceptive. You can be very comfortable as you vanish from view!

My first two flights involved a lot of yelling by my safety pilot. First I went behind some trees into someone's back yard. Only took a couple of seconds to get there and only a few more to get back to where my safety pilot could see the plane, but the point is: I was out of sight in seconds and if I was alone and lost it I wouldn't have known where to look.

Second flight I got way downwind in less than a minute. Again, no problem bringing it back but I had no idea that my safety pilot could barely see the plane. There is no feeling that you are far away. YOU can see fine, but if you take off your goggles you might not be able to locate the plane even if it is still about where you think it is.

On my third flight I began by listening to my safety pilots (two this time) right off the bat. I got plenty of stick time (easy star in this case) and I knew where I was all the time, but this was at my club field and I was on my good behavior. I didn't land it though I think I could have. You have to give your safety pilots some stick time too.

A nice slow plane will give you plenty of time, especially if there is any breeze, before your buddies start telling you that you are getting too far away.

I've been flying for over forty years and flying video equipped planes since the winter of '03. My opportunities for video pilotage are sporadic but I take every chance I get, but not risky ones. I often fly in the boonies and I would hate to have a good solid video image and not know which tree my plane was in!

Pete
PeteSchug is offline Find More Posts by PeteSchug
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by PeteSchug; Jan 03, 2007 at 05:13 PM. Reason: add a comma
Old Jan 03, 2007, 05:52 PM
Fredericksburg, VA
Joined Apr 2006
40 Posts
Thank you for the experienced advice. From this group, I'll take it as it's meant.
rich22304 is offline Find More Posts by rich22304
Old Jan 03, 2007, 07:25 PM
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Jan 2005
5,197 Posts
Well Striker can be done. I'm going to be putting my camera on a V-Diamond here in a couple more weeks. I've flown a few FPV missions on a trainer and I'm ready to take it to the next level. I just wouldn't suggest starting out FPV on a striker.
typicalaimster is online now Find More Posts by typicalaimster
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: I was bored
Old Jan 03, 2007, 08:21 PM
alexandria, va, USA
Joined Oct 2006
405 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronredbaron
the one thing to consider is how much harder it is to fly FPV than normal RC....I woundn't have thought so before i did it myself, but its like going back to square one! you have to learn like a newbie all over again
i'm a newbie; been flying for ~two months; hope to transition to fpv by summer. can you describe what was so much harder about flying fpv? i've been training using the aerofly sim. when i first started training, i found that if i switched to the inside-the-cockpit view, i could fly perfectly fine. zero crashes whereas when i switched back to the normal outside-the-plane view, it was ugly. (i'd even played with narrowing the cockpit field of view; no big difference in my flying. navigating, keeping altitude, nice controlled turns, perfect landings.) anyway, from this experience, and to the extent the sim captures the essential challenges of flying, i've expected that a main challenge to fpv would be mainly logistics; the tangle of devices, keeping track of where you are, how to find your way back; etc, but not the actually flying. i must be missing something so y'all please enlighten me.
4mla1fn is offline Find More Posts by 4mla1fn
Last edited by 4mla1fn; Jan 04, 2007 at 10:20 AM.
Closed Thread